April 20, 2014

Somebody's still watching ER

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 14th 2006 12:32PM
What's happening on ER these days? It must be something big because the NBC hospital drama made a huge comeback last week, beating out a repeat of Without a Trace with 15.4 million viewers. Yes, it was a repeat. But, even the repeats on CBS have been kicking NBC's butt lately.

I gave up on ER years ago, even before George Clooney left, because I couldn't handle having a major emotional breakdown each week. I tuned in for a couple of key episodes over the years: i.e. when Lucy and Carter got stabbed in the kidneys, when Doug left, when Carol left, and when Dr. Green died.

So tell me, is it any good?

martha

I've been a solid fan of ER since it began. I have been very happy with the flexibility that the writers have shown to be able to develop plots that allowed actors to come and go. That's like real life -- sad but real. One of the writer/producers from Third Watch who now has moved to ER brings a new breath of life that makes ER seem real. Bringing back the old characters is a nice idea, but not absolutely necessary. MRO

August 23 2007 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ann

i want to know if maura tierny is really have a baby
off the show

March 17 2006 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ann

i want to know if maura tierny is really have a baby
off the show

March 17 2006 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
V

I love it! I have been a die-hard fan since the very beginning and I will be till the end.

March 05 2006 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dash

I love ER. Its one of my favorites but It does have a lot of problems now. I could have sworn County was a teaching hospital so where are the students? What happened to the nurses side stories they used to have sometimes? Where have all the attendings gone??? All in all the writings ok but instead of been there done that feel you should get from a show thats been on this long you get a kinda stuck in the middle feel. Not really sucking but not really great either. Maybe they need to bring back some of the original writers to recapture the magic or those producers (the big name ones) that have been with the show form the beginning need to wake up.

January 19 2006 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tna

I still watch the show every week, and will watch it until the end. That said, the quality has suffered in recent years, and I was reminded of this just this weekend by catching old episodes from seasons 1 & 2 on TNT. The chemistry of the original cast cannot, or has not, been repeated. Also,on a snarky note, I think Morris neeeds to get his ass kicked for being such a pathetic dork who tries too hard to be cool, hip, and a good doctor. (all of which, he is not)

January 17 2006 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel

I watch ER every week. I have a lot of time invested in this show... I can't stop now!

That said, I still think the show is very good. Of course, not every episode is gold, but it is important enough to me to set the DVR. That says something!

January 16 2006 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathon

I will add my voice to the chorus of kudos for Maura Tierney. I would watch this actor sleep I love her so much. Abbey is one of a very few fictional characters I think about as if she's a real person. At random times during my week I might actually think about her or worry about her before catching myself and thinking I'm a total loser.

The season Mark Green had a brain tumor was a dark time. The show was boring and overwrought and I only watched a few episodes. Once we started our passionate love affair with our DVR we started watching it again. Now the show is again at the top of our list.

January 15 2006 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Boxcar

I still try to watch ER. I think it hit its peak around 2003-2004 (when Carter and Luca went off to whatever country it was, I can't remember at the moment). I personally can't stand Morris, but I like that Shane West's character is getting more screen time. I think there's a lot of potential in his character, and I could see some really good plotlines revolving around him.

January 14 2006 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

ER is still one of the best things on TV. I haven't been able to understand why it's only the girl who does my hair, my friend Evelyn and me watching it. It's been appointment tv for me since the beginnning. The only complaint I have is that Sam is completely ok with Luka and Abby. ok, maybe she doesn't know about them. Hello, is she blind! BTW Grey's Anatomy suuu-huucks!

January 14 2006 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply