What do you watch on a day off?
by Joel Keller, posted Jan 16th 2006 5:12PM
As you know, today is Martin Luther King Day, which means that some of our readers had the day off from work. To some people, that means an extra day to travel somewhere, go shopping, or visit with friends. But we know what this means to our readers: Game shows! Soap Operas! Dr. Phil! That's right; the off day gives TV lovers a chance to watch shows that they normally don't get a chance to see. Since I work from home a lot, I get to see a lot of daytime shows at least once or twice a week; but when I used to go to an office all the time, here were the shows I made sure I tuned into if I happened to have a Monday off:
- The Price Is Right - Classic game show. Ancient host. Hot models. It's got it all!
- Ellen - The audience is screechy, but Ellen's entertaining.
- Dr. Phil - Yes, he's a blowhard, but I love seeing him yell at people who think their personal problems can be fixed in ten minutes by a bald non-doctor on a TV show.
- Match Game reruns - This was when GSN was seemingly showing them five times a day. The 3 PM rerun was always of the '73 - '79 CBS incarnation of the show, which has always been considered the loosest, bawdiest version.
- Oprah - You heard me. I always like seeing the Cult of Oprah in action. "Oprah told us to read A Million Little Pieces, so it must be good..." (said in monotone voice).