April 25, 2014

ABC halts production on "Emily" - UPDATE

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jan 17th 2006 6:08PM

Heather GrahamAs Chris reported yesterday, many of you may have noticed that at the very last minute, ABC pulled the new episodes of Emily's Reasons Why Not and Jake in Progress last night. They aired a rerun of The Bachelor: Paris instead. Presumably, this was all done because of the stiff competition that that was on last night including the Golden Globe awards and part two of 24's season premiere. However, a lot has changed since last night. ABC has now announced that they are pulling the plug on production of the Heather Graham comedy only a week after the series premiere. Apparently, the ratings for last week's premiere were practically non-existent and that certainly should justify at least looking at/re-examining the show to see if it's worth trying to save. Seems like ABC is doing just that but there's no news on if or when production will start again, so don't get your hopes up.

kim

What were they thinking, putting these shows up against out of practice! Pick another slot!

January 19 2006 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
norsa

I'm not really surprised Emily got axed. As one of the few people who seemed to have to tuned into the premire, I have to say I was disappointed in how unfunny the show was. As a huge fan of hottie Victor Webster who played the lead character's love interest I tuned in to see him, but alas, even Victor couldn't
save the show from bad writing and a really bad lead actress [Graham].
Jake In Progress didn't fare much better. I love John Stamos, but the show is not that funny. This show may have a short life span too, if surgery is not performed fast.

January 18 2006 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Personally I don't think that playing comedies against CBS's Monday line-up was a particularly brilliant ploy. (Oh and by the way, while the ratings for "Emily's Reasons Why Not" may have been anemic I understand they were still better than "Jake In Progress" which is apparently still around.) Trouble is of course that putting a drama opposite "Las Vegas" and "24" would have won the viewers either. At the very least this gives ABC a clean slate to work with next year when they don't have to sacrifice shows on the idol of "Monday Night Football."

January 18 2006 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Well...I watched the show, and I know why it was halted. Heather Graham is not funny. Her timing is all off. Her co-stars are great, but she can't do comedy well. Granted, with big hair and a skimpy outfit, she was a hoot, but that doesn't work on TV...well...unless it's Fox.

I won't watch again.

January 18 2006 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicki

I can't say I'm surprised. They may have advertized the show forever, but not one of those commercials made the show seem remotely funny or worth watching.

January 17 2006 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Um... I had no idea the first episode had even aired. What ever happened to giving an audience time to find a show?

If they had used the same tactics years ago most of the most famous shows would never have made it past the pilot. Go ahead, look back at the pilots for some of the most famous shows, for any show.

January 17 2006 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

Wow. You mean my thoughts of tossing everyone out except the star and starting all over again (as I mentioned in a previous comment here) matched up with "The Suits"??? Now I'm really shocked!
I mean, I know I'm not their demographic, but anyone can tell when a cast "clicks" or not.

January 17 2006 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

Hmmm... "Sidewalks of New York"? Bombed. "Guru"? Bombed. "Scrubs"? Great role on a great show that nobody watches.

I am a bit surprised at how amazingly bad this show did considering how much promo ABC has given it over the last six weeks.

January 17 2006 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply