December 19, 2014

TiVo, I'm breaking up with you

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 17th 2006 11:41AM
Dear TiVo,

What I am about to say may come as a surprise, because we have spent three wonderful years together. There really were some good times. Remember when you thought I would like Rikki Lake because I had a season pass to Survivor and American Idol? We had a good laugh then, didn't we? I'll never forget the first time you remembered to record Scrubs for me when I couldn't make it home in time to watch. And, how about the time we upgraded our satellite to a dual input and you really got to show off how you could record two shows while we watched something from the Now Playing List? That was unforgettable.

Unfortunately, our good times are now few and far between. It's been months since you've recorded two programs at once, because you decided to stop recognizing the second signal. TiVo, you know I shouldn't have to choose between The Office and CSI. Often, you stop speaking to me the remote so I can't interact with you. You refuse to answer when I ask what is wrong. I even replaced your hard drive a while back, but that seems to have been only a temporary solution.

The final straw in our tumultuous relationship came last night. As you have been prone to do lately, you decided to reset yourself. In the middle of 24. The reset hosed the first hour-and-a-half of the two-hour show. Now I'm left to wonder where the hell the hobbit came from. I can't even imagine how violent I'd get if you decided to pull that same stunt during a new episode of Lost.

That is why we have to break up. I just placed my order for the new DVR from DirecTV. Soon, your home will be in the garage, where you'll bunk with the VCR and the bread machine. It's been a wild ride, TiVo, but you just can't keep up with my needs anymore. I will miss your "ba-beep, ba-beep, ba-beep" sound.

Fondly,

Anna

Erik Russell

The problem with DirecTV DVR is that with the Whole Home DVR system, it only provides full functionality for one TV. It doesn't allow you to pause and record on each connected TV. I am an employee with DISH Network and love my whole home DVR system. For instance, the 6-Room DVR installation that comes free with an initial installation of DISH will cost you $396 up front plus additional service fees with DirecTV. Not to mention that DirecTV does not allow you to do a free DVR upgrade if you subscribe to the Basic programming package...so you will need to subscribe to a package running about $100/mo in order to take advantage of Free DVR and HD Free. Anyone interested in moving away from TiVO and actually "upgrading" go to Dish.com and enjoy!!

January 16 2011 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
collisb

Direct tv hd dvr is the worst what a hunk of junk and once you buy it your stuck with it

January 08 2007 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen Durfee

Wow. I'm blown away at your monologue. I've had DirecTV since 1996. Besides the occassional outage for 5-15 minutes (2 or 3 times a year during crazy-ass hurricane-like weather), it's been a gem! The Hughes Tivo/DirecTV unit I've had has changed the way our family watches TV. Granted, I wish it was even more friendly and allowed a wireless bluetooth or RF keyboard. As for as the technology, I want to be able to input queries with more intelligence using a keyboard (e.g. show me all suspense movies rated at least 3 stars produced before the year 2000 with the actor Robert De Niro). Back in 1996, I used a Windows-based software program that allowed such queries (Electronic TV Host I think). Why our search abilities are less these days, I don't know.

Even with it's shortcomings, the Tivo DirecTV unit is infinitely better than DirecTV's own PVR. I freakin' hate that peace of crap. We have one in our bedroom and we've yet to use the PVR functionality. The first new unit we purchased at Circuit City didn't record and made a funny noise coming from the hard drive. The second refurbished unit (direct from DirecTV) has yet to be able to even pause a show. Whoever decided to put this chuck steak into production should be BBQ'd.
A prime example of corporate America filled with dumb-ass executives making huge decisions that bring down the stock price and screw the customer at the same time.

August 20 2006 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Juan Aguilar

Why? Because DirecTV doesn't support the latest Tivo (DTV is version 6.2 while Tivo is now 7.2), so I'm going direct to Tivo for my DVR business now. And I wanted HDTV in time for the Super Bowl.

But your 7.2 TiVOs don't support HD either. By the time the Series 3s come out (with features that would have been printworthy in 2004) many people will have moved on to cable/satellite DVRs or (a minority) homebrew.

February 02 2006 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen Segrest

Anna, don't. Tivo loves you. He was just tired. Actually ou dont even have t HAVE a dtv tivo box, a stand alone tivo will work prefectly fine AND You could put it on your network and do all kinds of cool stuff liek remote viewing and sceduling, tickets and junk. The DTV/Tivo units can't do that, pisser, I have one of them too.

I loVE my Tivo. LOVE it. i could never switch. After Dtv has dropped it complelty we're going tivo standalone.

January 18 2006 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SUSIE

OMG, I love, love my cable DVR. I have a Sonic Blue and could never figure out how to work it (it's practically new and just sits in the closet). After two years I went to High Definition and found that the cable company was offering DVR. Now I have two. Have talked my Dad and a friend into getting one. I learned how to use it in a matter of minutes.

I have never had TIVO so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

January 18 2006 at 7:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry Diamond

how much you want for your tivo?

January 17 2006 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary Bostrom

lol That's cute. Mind if I post this in the rec.arts.tv (Usenet) newsgroup?

January 17 2006 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

I have not heard a single good thing about the new Direct TV DVR.

I'm a cable user, and I use the cable DVR box because it gets hi-def. (My TiVo is still around as a secondary unit.) After TiVo, I find the cable DVR to be miserable on almost every level. I can't wait for the new TiVo to come out so I can have hi-def and TiVo.

Good luck, though. I think you'll need it.

January 17 2006 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jorge Asch

If you ask specifically for a TIVO DVR DirecTV will send you a R10. They are still about $50 each (less than $100 I am sure before rebate). You can allways still get one from eBay also as a last resort.

Either way, if TIVO and DTV part ways, your TiVo DVR will still be able to receive the MPEG2 signal for a long as all the other DTV equipment is out there.

Remember, UltimateTV? (The DVR from Microsoft). It kicked the bucket years ago, yet still works with DirecTV, and DirecTV let's still use it.

January 17 2006 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply