Clarkson refuses to let American Idol use her songs

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 18th 2006 5:36PM
Kelly ClarksonNow she decides to grow a pair. According to this article, original American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson has refused to allow the show to use her songs. In fact, according to her label's spokesman, Clarkson isn't licensing her music for any outside purposes, so her decision to shut out her sugar daddies at Idol should not be considered to be a personal swipe at the show.

Of course, Simon Cowell thinks Clarkson's full of crap. "It's the public who bothered to pick up the phone to vote for her," said Cowell. "If she refuses to give songs to be used on the show, it's like saying to every person who voted for you, 'you know what? Thank you. I'm not interested in you anymore.'" Though he has a point, it's good to see Kelly breaking free from her image as an Idol contestant that got lucky. It's vital to her career that she makes it on her own, which is something that even Simon should be able to appreciate.

jamilah burton

i do not think that by not licesing her songs to american idol Kelly Clarkson is saying that she is not interested in the folks that voted for her, she is just wants to break away from her american idol image.she wants people to see her as kelly clarkson not an american idol contestant.

May 15 2006 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamilah burton

I do not think that kelly is saying she is not interested in the folks that voted for her by not licesing her songs to american idol.I think that she just wants to break away from an american idol image to an star image. she wants people to see her as Kelly Clarkson not as an american idol contestant.

May 15 2006 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lomie

Kelly don't be so uptight so what if someone sing your song didn't you sing other people song in order to win american idol theres better singer than youwho isn't complaing about who sing there song just don't forget where you get your start in life you ungrateful B>>CH

February 12 2006 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Kelly is an extremely talented young woman with incredible vocal range! Although I'm all for her standing strong in what she wants and believes, I do think that she should allow a few songs to be used. If nothing else, maybe even more people will buy her already successful music! She is equally able to compete with Mariah Carey for ANY award, but please, Kelly, DON'T start dressing or behaving like Mariah! Keep your clothes ON AND your self-respect! You go girl!

January 25 2006 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

I agree with you, Seth

Oh for goodness sake. None of us truly knows what happened between Idol and Kelly and from what I have seen of her, I do not think she feels she is high and mighty. She worked her butt off on being where she is now. Yes, she got a step up with Idol but their idea of music (i.e. her first CD) did nothing for her or her career...it was after she broke free of the contract that she started doing well and her music became popular. Her management said no at first...and who knows why - perhaps there was bad blood between her management and Idol while trying to get out of the contract. I say, let Idol use her songs, but the ones on her first CD that they made her sing....anyway, bottom line, Kelly has agreed to let them use her songs....lets not start harping and getting carried away...many singers have refused to allow their music to be used on the show....

Idol and her contract with them did little for her career...they tried to blend her in with the pop culture and made a bubblegum Pop CD that went virtually no where...they have the rights to that CD...use those songs if they are so good

I agree that Idol did help Kelly's career and gave her a leg up - but honestly.... in any type of show like Idol, or sitcom, sports team....etc.... someone famous always comes from somewhere where they get their first break...their national recognition... it is always good to remember where you came from but I am one that feels you do not need to necessarily "humble" yourself to your beginnings. Idol benefited by Kelly as much as Kelly benefited from Idol. I am sure William Hung is not remembering where he came from and thanking Idol for his success. If a major football team gave a player a chance and started them out making them famous yet they went to another team...they can always remember where they came from but are not obligated to share future "moves" or "secrete plays" with the old team. My point being that truly we have no idea what really happened between Kelly and Idol and though I love her breakaway CD and would love to have her songs used because I think they are great songs...there must be some type of reservation by Kelly... perhaps she is worried that she will be taken as an Idol winner instead of a bonafide artist again and people will look at her as a show winner and not a dedicated singer who stands on her own talent.

It is a risky issue and I hope her fans do not turn on her no matter the choice....

Simon just needs to not be so snarky... yes, the public voted for her but because they liked her not because she was on Idol (that was just the vehicle in which she rode to get the votes) the public voted for the talent not the show that brought the talent to us.

January 20 2006 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ErricZ

Oh wait, I guess she lost her pair overnight:

"Former "American Idol" winner Kelly Clarkson, subject to a scolding from Simon Cowell for not letting her songs be used by new contestants on the show, has agreed to do so, a spokesman says.

Roger Widynowski, from Clarkson's Sony BMG record label, said Wednesday that Clarkson's management was negotiating with the show over which songs will be used."

January 19 2006 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ErricZ

Go and follow your dreams ... that's the only message that should really be gleaned from useless, vapid reality show denizens.

January 19 2006 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I say Whoo-Hoo. You go Kelly. You can call her whatever you want, but realistically the fact is that she is just taking charge of her career. Simon is a controlling jerk. She is a star in her own right.

January 19 2006 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Well Fox already showed contestants singing her songs from her second album on the show. Though it's totally up to them it's pretty fun that they didn't have to show that performance, but chose to. Also, you've never heard Kelly's songs? I guess you've never seen Love Actually, or listened to pop-ish stations on fm radio. Though I never ever heard a single Ruben song, or Fantasia song (thank God for that one). I have heard Carrie because I'm a country fan and her single is in the top 5 most requested where I live. As for Kelly, it's funny now she's going up against Mariah Carey and all in awards shows, and she seems to have adopted Mariah's attitude too, she's above mostly everyone. And this is from a girl who has Kelly's CD's.

January 19 2006 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seth

Weren't there articles a few months ago about how Kelly bought herself out of her "American Idol" contract so that she could have more creative control over her career (a move which lead to her much more successful 2nd album)? She paid (quite handsomely, I would imagine) for her rights to control her music and that is all that she is doing. Sounds to me like it is sour grapes on Simon's part...

January 18 2006 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply