August 1, 2014

FOX exec says Arrested Development return is "highly unlikely"

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 18th 2006 5:11PM
Arrested Development is sinkingAt the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena, FOX Entertainment President Peter Ligouri stated that Arrested Development's return to the network was "highly unlikely". He regretted that the show didn't find the audience it deserved, but at least acknowledged that the production arm of 20th Century Fox, which produces AD, is free to receive offers from other networks. If you listen to the industry scuttlebutt that surrounds the show, the producers seem to be taking advantage of that.

The last four FOX episodes will be aired in a two-hour block on February 10.

Hernan Ricardo Lopez

I have already bought the third season of Arrested Development. I really regret that FOX shortened the show. I really feel that there are some gaps. The actors were great and the end was very funny. I just feel that it wasn't fair that so much fun is missing. History will judge and I'm sure that this will be a classic. Well, can't wait t see the next successful show from my humble perception

December 07 2006 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hernan Ricardo Lopez

You know, I am not much of a tv person but when I started watching Arrested Development, my whole concept of a tv comedy changed. I visited the states in November and bought the two seasons. I can assure you that I never enjoyed a show like this. It is so real and at the same time it gives you a concept of family, no matter how disfunctional it is. I am very concerned that season three has been shortened. Thus, it is not fair for us that love that comedy to come to an end. I really think that nothing is going to fill that space once it is gone. I really think that this show has become a clasic in Canada, US and latin america. I just love it and would really encourage the Fox executives to reconsider keeing this wonderful show as one of their best assets. Please let me know when is the release of the third season to be able to buy it.

yours truly,

Hernie

February 08 2006 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Anderson

Months ago I would have been happy to see a Showtime bid. But now my damn Cable company took all movie channels off our account for people without a cable box. So now I'd much rather see it on ABC.

January 22 2006 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angie Druetta

They killed the show right before we got to see the episode with Larry Taylor, also known as the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld. I was so disappointed for him. Let's hope someone picks it up soon! He is playing in an episode with a bunch of Sadam Hussein look-a-likes. Watch for him!

January 19 2006 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Flash

It's great to hear that other networks are interested in Arrested Development! I knew something was up when they were talking about HBO and Showtime as inside jokes during the show. Season 3 has been pretty good, but they've had some outside obsticles to overcome. Also, the scheduling is so haphazard, glad I have a Tivo to keep track of it.

January 19 2006 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

FOX is great at killing my buzz of anticipation for new Arrested Development episodes because new episodes are sparsed around here and there. They really know how to ruin my hopes.

January 18 2006 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicki

Fox doesn't deserve it. I don't care where else it winds up, just please PLEASE let it continue somewhere

Also, how long does it usually take after a season ends to come out with the DVDs? Fox's crap programming made me miss almost the entire 3rd season and I want it ASAP

January 18 2006 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr. Voice of Reason

In "Ask Ausello" at TV Guide Online, he states that

"The grapevine (and the current issue of Television Week) is telling me that Showtime recently sweetened the negotiations pot by offering to pick up Arrested for two count 'em, two seasons upfront. That's a lot better than the paltry 13-episode commitment ABC was prepared to make."

There may be hope yet. For the latest [note: the page contains spoilers for many shows] check out Ask Ausello.

January 18 2006 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy DC

I noticed the following from http://www.tvtattle.com/ (I unfortunately don't have a subscription to TV Week to read the rest):

Showtime offers to double ABC's "Arrested" bid
TV Week reports on the ongoing negotiations: "Turns out ABC offered producers Imagine Entertainment and 20th Century Fox Television a 13-episode commitment to the series, which a network spokesperson has now confirmed. Showtime, meanwhile, has offered a two-year commitment, which would likely translate to 26 episodes." Meeting with critics yesterday, meanwhile, Fox said it was "highly unlikely" that "Arrested" will return.

January 18 2006 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Reese

Well, the Home Builders Orginization isn't gonna want us.

January 18 2006 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply