April 19, 2014

NBC to bring back Last Comic Standing

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 18th 2006 6:33PM
Jay Mohr - Host of Last Comic
StandingOne of my all-time favorite reality shows has to be the second season of Last Comic Standing. Not only did it improve on the first season by bringing in more seasoned comedians, but the audience actually picked a winner that deserved it (John Heffron). It was a perfect show to watch during the slow summer months. Then NBC decided to turn around and do a "Season 1 vs. Season 2" competition just a few weeks after Season 2 ended. Big mistake. Why? Well, Season 2 fans were burned out from seeing the acts of that season's comics again, and the Season 1 comics -- except for a couple -- weren't all that good. Ratings sank and NBC farmed out the last episode to Comedy Central.

So, over a year after that debacle, NBC has decided to bring back LCS as a summer show again, which I think is a good move. They've given the concept a rest and have also returned the show to where it gained it's best ratings, when there is little on but bottom-drawer reality shows and scripted reruns. The format, according to this press release, will be the same as before, with recruiters scouring the country for stand-up talent. Winners from each city's competition will then compete for the right to stay in "the house" (my least favorite part of the show) where the reality-show conventions take over (interpersonal strife, vote-offs, etc.).  I'm assuming that Jay Mohr is returning to host, since he is one of the show's creators. Looking forward to seeing it again.

[via The Futon Critic]

Paul

Who can forget Dat Phan playing hide-and-seek in Season 1? Who else notices their car slowing down when they turn up the radio? Who else wants to see a tv series about inept moslem terrorists?

Season 1 was new and had interesting people. It even got me to go see Rich Vos and Dave Mordal (along with Rich's girlfriend, from season 2 - now she stunk). But, Season 2? Would anyone get out of bed for them?

February 07 2006 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

Does anyone know the dates and locations of the auditions?

January 22 2006 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

One of the best parts of the show was when the celebrity judges initially voted on the comics and Drew Carey went nuts, telling a comic to his face, "I and the other judges voted for you, but Ant got picked because he's gay."

January 19 2006 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Canton

Ohhh yes, the TV gods are listening. I was under the impression that LCS was gone for good. NBC. Still my favorite network.

January 19 2006 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
weezy

Dave Mordal and Rich Vos sitting a bubble bath together, season one. Now that's funny!!!

Note to the producers - the contests, weren't that funny, the comics in the house stuff was...it's like a reality tv show in reverse. Give them more time to screw with each other.

January 19 2006 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kerry

I'm excited to see it come back, too. I've noticed that the people who make a living being funny tend to be extremely complex and extremely articulate -- something that makes for very engaging TV. I don't get into reality shows very much, i tend to get exhausted by the people in them, but season 2 of Last Comic had me totally enthralled. I loved and hated all those people, and genuinely wasn't sure who would win. I was sad that my favorite didn't get the top prize (I was rooting for Alonzo Bodden). The Season 1 vs Season 2 gimmick was a little much, though, and I agree that it was way too soon to start in on another cycle of the show. Can't wait to see what happens with the new series.

January 18 2006 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
forzaq8

season one comic weren't that funny , season two had some great people but the raost with Triumph the Insult Comic Dog was the best

January 18 2006 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply