October 21, 2014

Invasion: Power

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jan 19th 2006 12:29PM

InvasionIt seems that most people who don't like this show seem to think that it's awfully slow to reveal what's actually going on. I have to say that I do agree with that. It has been slow in letting us in on the full story, but it's been methodical at least. Plus, you have to admit, whenever they do let something out of the bag, it's usually mind-boggling. Last night was no different. Fairly slow episode, but the last few minutes made it so worth it and gave you plenty to keep up a buzz about it until next Wednesday night.

We left off last week after Tom kidnapped the children. We find out that he took them to some cabin out in the woods for a night of BBQ, relaxation, and karaoke. Kira doesn't seem to think it's odd because Tom barely speaks to her, but Jesse is convinced that Tom had another reason for taking them out to this place. Obviously he was right because at one point during the night, Jesse glances down the hallway and sees Tom walk by dragging a huge black bag - large enough to hold a body.

Meanwhile, Russel and Mariel search her house for clues as to where Tom may have taken the kids. No such luck. They even break into Tom's office which almost deserves its own post. It was crazy. Lots of weird Greek sculptures and a copy of The Art of War. That can't be good. Even weirder is that Mariel's house is the only one on the block that has power and phone service now, although it seems phone service is being restored all over because Russel is able to call Larkin.

At one point, Russel notices someone poking around in the front yard and he chases them down. But another hooded figure shows up and Russel gets the crap kicked out of them. Back at the cabin, Jesse pokes around in the black bag and finds presents for everyone. After Tom gives the kids their gifts, he locks the bedroom door and under the bed is an identical black bag... that'd be the heavy one he dragged in. That night Tom dumps the bag in the water.

Larkin shows up at Mariel's because she's worried that Russel is cheating on her and they call the police once they realize that Russel got kicked one too many times. Two deputies show up and one looks like he was assaulted. It's blatantly obvious that these two idiots were doing some recon for Tom and they were the ones that went to town on Russel. Tom calls Mariel and he promises to bring the kids back if Russel can take them for a while. Mariel is reluctant but she agrees and Russel has no idea what's going on but he tells Tom he knows what happened to him.

And now for the ending. The black bag washes up on shore and 5 shirtless male teenagers (including Derek, remember him?) grab the bag and throw it into the back of a truck. Also sitting in the truck is Christina, the woman who abandoned her child and killed her mother. They open the bag. It's filled with guns, ammo, and police uniforms. What kind of training camp they got going on here? Freaky stuff, but that seals it for me: Tom definitely knows what's going on and he's being quite good about not telling. This guy is scary.

Will

I think the show is great. What I am wondering is, is what Tom is really up too and what his plans are. It seems that he wants to keep everything undercontrol, but then he is building a small army.

Also another interesting turn, is the fact that the kids at the school want to fight back.

March 30 2006 at 5:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis West

I just thought I'd add my two cents. There's no way my wife would have stayed with this show if it wasn't for me. I was interested in watching it when it premiered after Lost's season premier and I thought it was great. My wife has thought it was too slow but she is starting to get interested now.

My biggest gripe is why does ABC do these review shows for their biggest hits like Desperate Housewives, Lost and Grey's Anatomy, when the show that would have benefitted the most from one is Invasion! I fear for this show's future just because I think it would be darn near impossible for anyone to start watching it right now. This show needs some good primers.

I'm sure going to keep watching. I really love it.

January 23 2006 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

Actually Tom was the one that called the deputies to his house. He knew Russell was there and it was his way of showing hos control over the situation. He even mentioned to Russel that officers were on the way over.

Also, the bag didn't just wash ashore on that uncharted island. Even for a sci-fi show, that would have been a little too unbelievable. It was set out to sea and Derek and the other men swam out to get it (they are water breathers after all). It showed them coming to shore with the bag.

Looks like next week is going to be a flashback on what happened to Russel all those years ago.

January 20 2006 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Who was the caller on the ophone offering to "trade" the kids?
I suspect the lines are being drawn between the "good" and the "bad" hybrids and battle will commence soon started by those hybrids whose personalities have been almost wholly taken over.
Tom, is playing to both camps and hasn't shown he real hand yet.

January 19 2006 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shakespear

I love this show, its a perfect bumper for lost.

January 19 2006 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I understand all too well why this series has a small fanbase - the reasons are called "Law & Order" and "CSI: New York". I preferred "Threshold" to this series, but I've been watching steadily (mainly because of Karri Matchett) and it grows on you.

January 19 2006 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Howard

Oh, and it's not just obvious that Tom knows what's going on. More often than not, he is directly controlling what is going on.

January 19 2006 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Howard

That seals it for you? It's been painfully obvious that Tom knows what's going on for quite a while now. If you're just now coming around to that, then you're kind of slow.

I still watch this show because I started from the beginning and am kind of curious about what's going on, and there's nothing else on at the same time that I'd rather watch. But really, it's not a very good show. The characters are really, painfully bad, the acting is not so great, and the plot only hangs on based on mystery, and even then only just barely. I'd be surprised if it's back next year, and unless they end the season with something pretty amazing, I probably won't be watching if it is.

January 19 2006 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

I don't think the ladies called the cops when they saw Russell. I think those two cops just showed up - and yeah, it was blatantly obvious, but my take on that was it was supposed to be. I think they knew Russell knew exactly who they were - it was a message. "Watch your back, we're everywhere" kind of thing.

This show just keeps getting better. I have no problem with the supposed "slowness." A lot of the reveals in this show are built up over time and wind up having great payoffs. I can deal with having to wrap my head around several episodes' worth of plot every week, especially when it's a good show like this.

I don't understand why Invasion only has a small but devoted fanbase - I'm hoping there are enough of us to keep this going into a second season, but I'd like to see it wrap up there. Although the show is working really well, once the aliens' (or whatever) big plot is revealed (I predict the end of this season) there won't be too many places they can go. Still, I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

January 19 2006 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply