Kelly Clarkson's songs will be on American Idol -- UPDATE

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 19th 2006 10:45AM
When American Idol kicked off this week, Kelly Clarkson made some headlines for refusing to allow AI contestants to sing any of her songs. Simon Cowell made some nasty remarks about her refusal, saying something about biting the hand that feeds you, so she quickly changed her mind. Now her label, Sony BMG, says they are in negotiations with American Idol to decide which of her songs can be used by performers. It sounds like Kelly, or a representative for her, will approve the use of her songs on a case-by-case basis, but only for American Idol. The refusal to license her music to AI was actually part of a larger, overall policy that she has about not allowing her songs to be used for any purpose.

Do you still associate Kelly Clarkson with American Idol? I don't. Her Breakaway album sounds nothing like the music we hear on the show, nor does it sound like the crap songs the winners sing in the finals. I realize she'd still be a cocktail waitress without the show, but she's bigger than American Idol now. I guess that album title is fitting, isn't it?

Daisy

I LOVE KELLY CLARKSON and those are her songs and she made them what they are so if she doesn't want them to use it....DONT USE THEM. I agree that there was no need to bully her into leting American idol use the songs.N E Ways whatever Kelly does she can count on me to support her.....U ROCK KELLY!!!!!

February 12 2006 at 1:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cecilia

Kelly has just started off on her career. Her songs are new and should only belong to her at this time. Give it a few years before using her music. "Kelly" is the one who needs to be known for singing her songs and I can't really see why American Idol needs to use Kelly's music. So what that she was an American Idol and got her break there. To be honest, you may get the break from Idol (actually from the fans who vote in), but it's up to the artist to really make that "break," as Kelly certainly has done. Kelly, I wish you would have kept your music for yourself at this time .. it doesn't need to be re-sung by many other voices on Idol. Let Idol be known for other songs and let Kelly enjoy her success without having to give it away so early in her career.

January 23 2006 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tyler D

Ok heres the thing... yes the drama is about Kelly Clarksons songs. But do you REALLY believe that she has any say at all, she like almost all artists are just a pawn to thier labels. I love Kelly in fact i think shes amazing but the fact that any negative ANYTHING was brought apon her becuase of this is a totally misplaced idea. The attention should be towards Sony BMG they are the people to say anything about Kelly is innocent and i think that there is no body better around nor will there be for a long time to come. In all that i think she can do whatever she likes and everyone better sit there and like it. But thats not the case.... BLAME SONY BMG. NOT THE KELLMISTER!!!

January 21 2006 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sydney

Who knows if she wouldn't have made it w/o American Idol, you never really know. She could have made something of herself, sure, AI got her there faster, but that doesn't necessarily mean she never would have made it w/o them. I think if she doesn't want any of her songs on the show, that's her personal decision since they are her songs.

January 21 2006 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chrystal

I do not see why she would be so selfish....Yes those songs are recent hits...but if it wasnt for american idol she would still be a nothing she would not be where she is today....they did not bully her they made her open her eyes and remembered where she came from.

January 20 2006 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
central

I think theyre her songs and if she doesnt want some awful people destroying them with their horrible chalk-board scratching voices.. thats her choice. I mean they dont rag on other artists who dont let them use their songs. Also, she just released an ablbum...why ruin it?

January 19 2006 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony Scida

Whatever happened to the compulsory license? Or are TV shows considered differently than audio recordings? I sure didn't think so.

January 19 2006 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evadne

Ugh. I can't believe they bullied her into saying yes. Why would she want her hits to be in someone else's hands so soon after she put them out? I was thinking about giving this show a try (about a million years behind every other American, apparently), but if this is how they treat their stars even after they've gotten themselves out of that draconian contract, then I'm out.

January 19 2006 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply