July 22, 2014

Steve Martin and Prince on SNL

by Annie Wu, posted Jan 19th 2006 7:28PM
Steve MartinLadies and gents, Steve Martin will be coming back to host Saturday Night Live on February 4. Whoo-hoo! This guy is such an important part of SNL history, it's as if he used to be a cast member himself. Actually, a lot of people think that Martin used to be a player, but nope, he's like Benjamin Franklin to the presidents (just because he's on the $100 bill doesn't mean he was ever president, y'know). Anyway, this will be an exciting episode. I hope they do this legend justice.

Prince will be the musical guest (I'm trying to think of some sort of Prince-like squeal to express happiness but I can't figure out how to spell it). I hope he and Fred Armisen (who sometimes plays him on the show) will do something together... Hey, maybe Steve Martin can bring Beyonce (his co-star in the new movie, The Pink Panther) to fill in for new mommy Maya Rudolph and Prince can fill in for Armisen! That way, they'd have a real "The Prince Show"! Oh man, that'd be twelve different kinds of awesome.

IHateScreenNames

Does anyone know the names of the songs that Prince played? They were great and I'd like to find them, hard to do without the names...

February 17 2006 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Ann

Holy moly Prince was SUPERB! That man can play a mean guitar - that song was awesome. Even his backup singers kicked @ss!!! I enjoyed Steve Martin, as always. He's classic. Great GREAT show...did you hear that guitar still screaming while laying on the floor!?!?!?!?!?

February 06 2006 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

SNL is fun to watch, still and always.
Prince ripped it up as you knew he would- best performance by a musical guest since U2.
Steve Martin was hilarious in the easy-zoom lens sketch.
I love SNL unabashedly. Still have to wake up my girlfriend afterward, but I love it.

February 06 2006 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

SNL is fun to watch, still and always.
Steve Martin was hilarious in the easy-zoom lens sketch.

February 06 2006 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

SNL is fun to watch, still and always.
Steve Martin was hilarious in the easy-zoom lens sketch.

February 06 2006 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nancy

I have watched 'Saturday Night Live' since it started, and enjoyed it through the highs and lows over the years. You can NEVER get back to the 'druggy anti-establishment hippie dippie' trip the original show had, but it was MAJOR good now and then. This season seems to be the worst in a LONG TIME, sadly. I would even say I like the 'Gilbert Gottfried cast' better than this season so far. I really miss the people that left in the last few years and were NOT replaced adequately. Hopefully, some of these present folks are going to come into their own soon, but someone who has proven a BIG washout so far is HORATIO SANZ. I must admit I am very disappointed in him now that he has a bigger role on the show. I see that he was BEST in sketches with Jimmy Fallon, Chris Kattan or Will Farrell or whatever. When the spotlight is on just him, forget it. I agree the 'IT'S CAROL' or whatever is THE LAMEST SKETCH EVER! Watching it last time and cringing, I thought 'Maybe being Latino, if he could just be doing a Hispanic female, he might have some comedy to mine, but as a chunky blonde, blah.'
Fred Armison I LIKE, he has been a shining light in the gloom. Amy Poehler, she has went down in my eyes after being very good in previous seasons. Her and Tina Fey's 'WEEKEND UPDATES' are subpar, thank GOD for Drew Barrymore making fun of herself the other week!
You just don't appreciate people enough until they are gone and you see how they complemented each other. Jimmy Fallon, I admit, at first struck me as a poor woman's Mike Myers rip-off, but I sure grew to like him. He's MISSED on 'WEEKEND UPDATE'!!!Phil Hartman and Will Ferrell are two that I admit I discounted for quite sometime and only later gave their full props to.
I guess it takes time, but I hope they recruit some good people soon, maybe like in the '80's when they brought established people like Michael McKean and Martin Short. If they don't do something, like get more good WRITERS, they are going to be in MAJOR TROUBLE. Maybe LORNE MICHAELS is just getting tired of the whole shebang and isn't even trying anymore, what with 'MAD TV' getting the young people who don't have the history and nostalgia of the old show going for them, although they have plenty of opportunity to see old shows on cable and video that's for sure!

February 02 2006 at 3:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicki

James, I don't know what the hell you're on, but Amy is typically quite funny, whereas Horatio is consistantly horrid. I mean honestly, he can't make it throughout one sketch without laughing at something completely unfunny. Not to mention that sketched in which he is utilized are just horrid. Carol? Oh come on.

January 22 2006 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laurie coutherut

I think that it is extremely hard to walk in anothers shoes, let alone follow thier style and success
SNL has to many to follow and there fore should not- even try and thats the problem... stop trying to be like the past and let these new comidiens of today bring thier own... stop trying to shock and bring the past back... let the new style mesh with the old- and let what bill murray and eddie murphy and others did - who was not copy but be original, not compete but make it new and fresh... let that happen with the cast of today!
look t the new adience as they did in the beginning and let the beleushi's (yeah I spelt it wrong)of today shine and atract attention to the group looking for that- as it happened with us in the 70 & 80's
SNL is a platform for new entertainment- let it be that- let it market that and let is shine as that AND IT WILL SEE SUCCESS! AGAIN

January 22 2006 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andi

I have some mixed thoughts about James Garee's post, most of them leaning towards total disagreement. I completely agree that Darrell Hammond is always brilliant (and I believe Tina Fey's writing is as well). He is one of the greatest impression artists to ever grace the business. It seems almost a shame that he still does SNL when he is so much more talented than what SNL has become. So I am with James Garee there. I however totally disagree with his take on Fred Armison, Amy Poehler, and Horatio Sanz. I believe that Fred Armison is one of the few lights in the darkness that is the current cast of SNL. I think he's one of the funniest cast members, which is perhaps not saying much right now. If nothing else, he is far more amusing than the majority. I feel this way about Amy Poehler as well, but to a lesser extent.
Now to the disaster that is Horatio Sanz. It has been a sort of staple on SNL to have the "fat guy". Ofcourse there was Jon Belushi. Then after a wait, Chris Farley. And then another wait...and then Horatio Sanz. I will grant you, Jon Belushi is a hell of an act to follow. Chris Farley doesn't really even compare. (But at least Chris Farley was funny, and was capable of fantastic physical comedy.) Why, oh why, did they ever cast Horatio Sanz? WHY!? To claim that he is anywhere near as entertaining as Jon Belushi or Chris Farley is downright insulting! The only impression he does that is even slightly impressive is Wilfurd Brimley, but hell, I can impersonate Wilfurd Brimley, all you have to do is mispronounce "diabetes" and you're halfway there. Oh, and I'll give him credit, he plays a good stoner...but then again, who doesn't? He cracks up in every scene he's in, I've seen him crack up in scenes he was in BY HIMSELF! If after a week of having a script (and reading off the teleprompter as he so obviously does) you can NEVER suppress the giggles, then there is something wrong, and perhaps you should not be doing sketch comedy. I also find it rather annoying that even though he is always looking at the teleprompter, he flubs his lines constantly. I guess SNL felt that they were due for a new "fat guy", but why did they feel the need to cast a no-talent hack like Horatio Sanz? And as for the idea James Garee posted about Horatio Sanz's career choices: "I'm assuming he's being smart, staying there for the dough, not believing bad movies will make him a big star and riding this loser show for all its worth.", I don't think it's a matter of him being smart, I think it's the fact that he knows the second he leaves SNL, no one else will be dumb enough to hire him. I can't believe the severe lapse in judgement on the part of the casting folks at SNL. While I don't think it would completely pull SNL out of its current funk that has existed since the last "fat guy" left (RIP Chris Farley- thanks for the laughs) perhaps firing Horatio Sanz would shine a little light on what seems to be a horribly dismal future for SNL.
And by the way- Lenny Pickett is fantastic, a good screech sax is a trick that never dies. Nothing is original in music anymore, but some musicians just know how to rock what works.
I'm looking forward to Steve Martin's appearance, here's hoping they don't insult his comedic genius enough to make it his last.

January 22 2006 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

I think Thomas should go back to school so he can learn to spell civilization correctly!

January 22 2006 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply