September 3, 2014

The Five: Stars I'd like to see back on TV

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 19th 2006 10:14AM

Bruce Campbell1. Bruce Campbell: The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. was one of the great short-lived shows of all-time. A really entertaining mix of western and science fiction, with a perfect star. Campbell later had roles in Ellen and Jack of All Trades, but it's been a while. I can picture him in a clever private eye type show, or maybe a smart comedy. Whatever is, he should be back on TV (and I don't mean those Sci-Fi Channel flicks...)

2. Mary Tyler Moore: One of my all-time crushes, and while she has certainly had her share of big screen success (Ordinary People, Flirting With Disaster), she's best known for her small screen sitcom work. She had a few very short-lived shows in the 90s, and they weren't bad shows, but they just didn't click with audiences. Can't you just picture her in a great character role, as someone's mom, or as the evil head of some corporation?

3. Mike Nelson: I miss Mystery Science Theater 3000 dearly, and if it doesn't return (we can still hope, right?), I'd like to see Nelson come back as a talk show host. Can't you picture that, maybe a quirky talk/variety show on IFC or Bravo or Comedy Central?

4. Tom Selleck: When he was on Magnum, he was the ultimate, perfect TV star. Maybe they could make a series out of his Jesse Stone movies. But only after they make a Magnum reunion flick!

5. Steven Weber: Wings is one of my favorite sitcoms (and not just because I got to be an extra in an episode). Weber's a funny guy, and he's another perfect made-for-prime-time star. Tim Daly came back (don't get me started on Eyes - damn you ABC!); Weber should too (something better than Cursed/The Steven Weber Show, though it wasn't as bad as people said). And he just might: he's reportedly in the running for one of the lead roles on Aaron Sorkin's new show, Studio 7 On The Sunset Strip

Brent McKee

Avery Brooks. Back before CSI:NY debuted there was some fan discussion about setting a new series in New Orleans and his name came up.

Michael Dorn. I mean does anyone remember what he looks like without Klingon makeup? The ideal would be Dorn and Armin Shimmerman.

I could probably make an argument for David Schwimmer, but in a drama. He was excellent in "Band Of Brothers" and I first noticed him in a dramatic role in the first season of "NYPD Blue". In fact I'd argue he's probably better suited to drama than comedy (except as a straight man for funny people). On a similar line, I really liked Matthew Perry's three episodes of "The West Wing".

January 19 2006 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DanGarion

Tom Selleck has something coming on where he is some type of police type character. I think it's just a made for TV movie though.

January 19 2006 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I always wanted to see Mary Tyler Moore play the murderer opposite Peter Falk in a 'Columbo' episode/movie. She certainly fit the bill for the role which should be someone of style and class and intelligence. (Come to think of it - Diana Rigg would have been great too!)

I liked your list, especially MTM and Bruce Campbell, and I'll add Reed Diamond (onscreen now in Good Night and Good Luck) who played Mike Kellerman on 'Homicide: Life On The Street'. I always thought Kellerman could have been spun off in his new career as a PI (as seen in the 'Homicide' reunion movie.)

I'd also like to see Roger Rees make one last return to 'The West Wing' as John Lord Marbury before the series packs its tents.

January 19 2006 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evadne

After Meredith Monroe's guest starring roles on House last season and Cold Case this one, I think she deserves a show of her own.

January 19 2006 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

I think we need to see Bruce on My Name Is Earl in a possibly recurring role as Earl and Randy's uncle Jack. Also, how did you overlook his time on Hercules and Xena as Autolycus?

January 19 2006 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel

I really like Steven Weber too. And I wouldn't mind seeing him paired up with Tim Daly again, come to think of it.

Bruce Campbell is too cool for TV! (Maybe HBO...)

January 19 2006 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seth

Speaking of Wings, how about Thomas Haden Church! I thought the cancellation of Ned and Stacy was a crime, and Ned was his best role ever.

January 19 2006 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ross Kimbrough

I vote for Chuck Norris...maybe a MIA remake or another Texas Ranger reunion. Go CHUCK!!!

January 19 2006 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply