July 23, 2014

The OC: Kaitlan Returns

by Lacy Hall, posted Jan 19th 2006 11:07PM
kaitlin before and afterTonight was the triumphant return of Kaitlan, Marissa's once invisible sister turned jailbait sister. Awww, the magic of TV speed-aging. When last we saw Kaitlan, she was wearing pink sweatsuits, and complaining about not getting to ride her hairless pony enough. All the while, her older sis was overdosing in Tijuana, and almost being raped by her boyfriend's brother. Yup, it's about time for Kaitlan's return.

I must say, I was impressed. I always thought of the Kaitlan role as being poorly planned. Why did the Coopers ever need a little girl anyway? They had crazy-ass Marissa OD-ing on the weekends, the "Dad" ripping off everyone in Newport, and the "Mom" seducing and destroying everyone in sight. The younger sister seemed like a wasted use of the make-up and wardrobe trailer. But I didn't know that Kaitlan was going to go away for two years and get all hot. Hot...and apparently manipulative. They explain it on the show by saying that Marissa was always closer to Jimmy (the nice, but misguided Dad) and Kaitlan was always closer to Julie (well...you know how Julie is). And thus, enter Kaitlan....newly sexy and ready to cause trouble in Newport. Welcome to the OC, bitch.

Kaitlan's arrival into Newport is closely followed by Justin, a wayward, yet attractive youth who just wants to find the girl. Kaitlan tells Ryan that Justin is just a sad boy who is obsessed with her beauty. But actually, Justin and Kaitlan have been dating for a whole month, and he felt so committed that he took her to his brother's fraternity mixer, where she swipe $1,500-worth of cover charges and fled for the OC. Justin and his brother's frat buddies wanted their money back. But when Ryan confronted Kaitlan about the sordid mess, she spun an amazing tale of abortion woes that I was even impressed by. This girl needs to be doing improv theater.

Meanwhile, in Julie Cooper Needs to Get Laid Land, her latest conquest (Summer's dad) found himself on a blind date with Taylor Townsend's mom. I don't remember her name, but it doesn't matter, because she's just a secondary player. Taylor's mom managed to seduce Summer's dad at his weakest of moments and finagled a second date. But The OC kids were not having it. No way was Summer going to have Taylor as a sister, and Kirsten did not fully understand Julie's intimate feelings for Summer's dad. (What IS his name? Neil?) Seth decided to pull Taylor aside and tell her that Summer's dad had crabs to get her mom to hit the hills, and only in television does that work. Because it worked.

Finally, Kaitlan dug her claws into Marissa's throw-away man, Johnny, and showed him how wild and amazingly "spontaneous" she was by stripping down to her underwear and jumping in the ocean. Oh wow, she's one of those girls who likes to constantly show boys how incredibly crazy and creative she is by jumping in the ocean. Wow...crazy....and...creative. Dude, Marissa OD'ed in Tijuana. But still, I like Kaitlan and what she will add to the show. I'll just warn you in the very same Keanu-esque way that Justin warned Ryan: "Dude, be careful...she's.......like amazing."

Carol

Actually, WILLA HOLLAND is the new Kaitlin Cooper and not Hania Barton. I'm from Brazil and I love the show!!!

March 07 2006 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

WILLA HOLLAND is the new Kaitlin Cooper. Put her name on google and you gonna see everything about her.

March 07 2006 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Clair

Can anyone tell me who is the actress playing Kaitlin Cooper? I heard a rumour that it will be Mischa Barton's younger sister Hania? I live in the UK and we have pretty much just started the series and I'm dying to know! Thanks!

February 17 2006 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amber

I think that the O.C. is awesome! All the drama just makes it better. Imagine if you were Katilin,your forgotten, wouldn't you want to wreck havoc? I know i would, just to be remembered. Sure she is taking some big extreams...but it's interesting!

January 30 2006 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

i think that a lot of people have a miscontrued view of how 14 year olds should act. they are in high school now! Looking back there is no way i would have been playing with dolls and doing dress up as a freshman in highschool!! i think that everyone should just realize the OC isnt doing anything except doing a good job portraying 14-year old reality in Kaitlin.

January 30 2006 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anonymous

I am 14.. and i have watched the show ever since it first came out and me and all of my friends are in love with it -- especially because of Seth Cohen

January 30 2006 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
olga

I THINK THE OC ROCKS, I REALLY HAVE ENJOYED ALL THEIR EPISODES I CAN'T SAY I'VE SEEN ALL OF THEM BUT PRETTY MUCH, AND I THINK ITS GOOD THEY BROUGHT NEW EXCITEMENT TO THE SHOW WITH SUMMERS DAD AND MARISSAS MOM BUT USING A YOUNG GIRL TO BE A SLUT I THINK ITS PRETTY REDICULOUS I HAE A DAUGHTER AND I WOULDN'T EVEN DREAM OF HAVING HER DRESS UP OR MAKED UP LIKE THIS GIRL. BUT EVERYTHING ELSE ON THE SHOW I HAVE LOVED TIL NOW.
I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS UPCOMING EPISODE, I MISSED LAST WEEK

January 30 2006 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dani

This is gross and disgusting that a t.v. show would sink so low as to make a 14 year old some sort of sex pot. I am so glad that I am too young to have kids. I would not want them watching this crap on t.v. Are you kidding me?! Making a young girl sexy?! She should not be wearing make up and looking and acting like a slut. She should be playing dress up with her dolls, etc. This show has sunk to an all time low. Run, little teenagers, run!

January 30 2006 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dani

January 30 2006 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

In defense of the Taylor thing, it didn't work like that. Taylor "didn't agree to break them up." Seth told her that Dr. Roberts has genital warts, and Taylor er, decided on her own that she didn't want her mother to catch genital warts.

January 22 2006 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply