October 20, 2014

The Office: The Secret

by Michael Sciannamea, posted Jan 20th 2006 12:28PM

Michael Scott (Steve Carell) was at his obnoxious best (or worst, depending on your point of view) in this episode. It's Spring Cleaning Day at Dunder Mifflin--although it's January, Michael wants to get it done today. Everybody has assigned tasks, and we can see that Dwight is a perfect fit in a supervisory role. We also learn that Oscar is out sick--on a Friday, no less--and Michael and Dwight call him at home to make sure everything's on the up and up. Michael is convinced that Oscar is suffering from the flu, but Dwight is not so sure, and undertakes an investigation.

At the same time, Pam is discussing her upcoming wedding to Roy. Michael inquires of Jim what the "411" is with his crush on her, but Jim implores him to keep it quiet. Michael, of course, can't keep it to himself and basically follows Jim around the office and makes veiled comments about the situation. Michael is acting like an annoying high-school kid, and Jim is doing everything possible to keep things on the down-low. Finally, Michael asks Jim out to lunch, so Jim reluctantly agrees.

Meanwhile, Dwight continues his investigation into Oscar being sick, and he ends up explaining with lying is, with little effect. Michael and Jim make it to lunch at Hooters, and you can tell Jim is very uncomfortable being around Michael, who makes bad breast jokes and has the Hooter girls sing "Happy Birthday" to him, even though it wasn't his birthday.

Dwight is on the case about Oscar, and Jim and Michael return. During the course of the afternoon, Michael bizarrely musses his hair like Jim, and then blurts out the secret about Jim's crush on Pam. Naturally, it's the talk of the office, so Jim explains to Pam that his crush occurred when she first joined the company four years ago, but it has subsided. Pam accepts his explanation, and they agree not to let it bother them.

Finally, Dwight's surveillance pays off as he catches Oscar coming home with his boyfriend. Dwight has Oscar agree to pay a favor back to him at a time of his choosing to undo Oscar's "malfeasance." We then see Michael admitting to blowing Jim's cover, and then he makes things quite stickier by telling Pam that Jim mentioned his crush on Pam at the Booze Cruise.

I thought this was a terrific episode. Good, taut story lines, and the Jim/Pam scenario has definitely taken a more interesting turn. Might we see some sort of confrontation between Jim and Roy in the coming weeks as office gossip continues to thrive? And will Michael throw gasoline onto the fire? Guess we'll have to keep tuning in, won't we?

Bob Mc

What's "updawg"?

January 23 2006 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed

Does it smell like updawg in here?

January 23 2006 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CBXweb

I wonder if Dwight will figure out this season that Angela has the hots for him? I bet it will happen on the final episode of the season, which will more than likely be "The Wedding".

January 22 2006 at 1:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff stiefer

Ok...the show is in its second season. I hope we dont get into another "The US version sucks!!" war. I think both shows stand on their own and i love them both. I dont understand these people that have to hate one to like to other.

Im not saying anyone has yet...but i can fell it in the air.

Also, I know you cant disect sitcoms too much or all the plots fall apart...but The Office is a 'documentry' right? Do Pam and Roy not watch the show when it 'airs'? Wouldn't Roy already have kicked Jims ass? Just a thought : )

jeffro

January 20 2006 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brian

Kenivc, I disagree. I love the British Office, but this one is fantasic in it's own right. The original is hilarious and depressing at the same time. David Brent is irreplaceable. The American one is certainly more "jokey" but damn those jokes are great. And the "background" characters (Kevin, Angela, Stanley, etc) are excellent. Behind Arrested Development, this is my favorite comedy on TV right now (I like it even more than the newest season of CYE).

January 20 2006 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenivc

Any comments on the original British show...You must see every episode. Hard to watch this one if you know and loved the show that came over on BBC America

January 20 2006 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mattjh

Interviews with Jenna Fischer and other members of the cast can be found here, after a free sign-up:

There's
no other way I would have seen the Carson Daly and Tony Danza interviews. Jenna is quite different I'd say to her Pam character.

January 20 2006 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matt

Gareth Keenan Invetigates!

I wish they'd used that joke, as it was one of my favorite from the Gervais "Office". Oh well, this was another great episode from the show that keeps me from crying myself to sleep every night over the loss of Arrested Development.

January 20 2006 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Keller

Best lines of the night:
1. Michael to Jim (while at Hooters)- "You should order a glass of milk."
2. Michael to Hooters server - "I'll have the chicken breast, without the chicken."
Server - "Are you sure you want that?"
I've only seen three full episodes since "Booze Cruise" and I have to say this had even more awkward scenes than that already famous episode. A few things we learned this episode.
-- Michael lacks the switch in his Brian to shut-up before he's said too much
-- Dwight = Blind Idiot
-- Pam is very cute and needs to wear her hair down more.
Good episode with a few actual out-loud laughs.

January 20 2006 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Byron Karmopolis

I didn't think this episode was as funny as the others, but there's a sense that the show feels comfortable with itself now and for possibly the first time ever, I could see it as a show with the potential for at least five seasons' worth of great shows.
And a big thank you to the writers for indulging me and giving me a reason to understand Dwight and Angela's "thing".

January 20 2006 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply