April 17, 2014

West Wing canceled - BREAKING NEWS

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 22nd 2006 5:40PM

West Wing castNBC has made offical what many people thought would happen: they've canceled The West Wing. Actually, they canceled it before John Spencer passed away on December 16. They're just now announcing it.

They also announced that creator Aaron Sorkin and director/producer Tommy Schlamme will not be involved in the finale. Damn.

The series will end with a two hour episode on May 14. A one hour retrospective will air just before the finale. (Personally, I'm happy the show is ending. The quality has dropped off the past couple of years, and like NBC says, it's time.)

So tell us West Wing fans: how would you like the show to end?

Bam

In this unstable world we live in, The West Wing gave me hope on a weekly basis that there were intelligent and humanistic people within the government that cared deeply about the welfare of America and the world. Now that it has beed cancelled, I feel a sense of hopelessness from NBC and it's ratings as I do the senselessness of the endless destruction that occurs in the world. This country really needed this show and its efforts to present solutions to political matters. And we (the people) really needed this show to restore faith in the Oval Office, as well as a sense of respect for our overall government. The show didn't try to portray everyone as perfect, but it always held an underlying rule that democracy would be the victor.

I'm sad to see it go, especially at a time when NBC could educate through theatrics. So many Americans seem deaf, blind, or just plain stupid to the realities of our world.

Bam

August 15 2006 at 6:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jes

Reply to #11 dorv:
Regarding Toby covering: Rewatch when Bartlet calls Toby into his office to talk about CJ being investigated.
BARTLETT NEVER LOOKS AT TOBY.
Absolutly unique behavior for Bartlett.
The meeting, as written had no purpose - unless Bartlet was asking Toby to cover.
Also, the next episode, when Toby goes into CJs office and sits down - check out the amount of time when ABSOLUTLY NOTHING IS SAID AND NOTHING HAPPENS.
This period (I belive was 45 seconds and felt like 15 minutes) makes me think he is telling CJ he is going to cover for her. Babaitch's response to Bartlet's over the top dressing down of Toby was also a clue.
Prediction: guess which prostitute Rob Lowe is engaged to?
Sure, the shows quality has gone up and down over the years, but it was still a terrific hour of brilliant drama. I will miss it. I really thought they were going to pull many of the old staff into the new administration to continue the show.
I hope they pull Ms. Laningham back for the finale.
The Lanningham flashback shows were terrific and the news conference, hands in to pocket scene was one of my favorites.
I loved the brotherly relationship between Mcgarry and Bartlett.
RIP John - we miss you.

May 02 2006 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine Lawton

West Wing should not be cancelled. It continues to be an excellent show.

April 26 2006 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine Lawton

I think that NBC should reconsider cancelling such an excellent show. The potential future plot lines are endless. It is a very intelligent show and actor Jimmy Smitts is wonderful.

Keep the show going...........

April 26 2006 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I loved the first two seasons of the show. Season three began to annoy me and by the time four rolled around it was so preachy and condescending I bailed on it altogether. I then watched all four on DVD and then gritted my teeth and struggeled through the abonination that was season Five. However, I loved season six and I'm loving season seven. I think the producers are going the exact wrong way with canceling the show. This is their chance to completely reinvent the West Wing show, maybe even end this show and spin off with a new cast for Santos/Vinivk. Commander and Chief has a huge audience and the show is terrible.

The best thing to do is spin it off with Whitford, Smitts, and a whole new gang. Put it back in prime time and let us go back to liking the show.

February 20 2006 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K. Stickley

Typical executive thinking. We move the show to a lousy time slot to go up against football and OMG the ratings slip so the show must not be too good. Let's cancel it! Quality TV, the kind that makes you think even after the episode is over is something that this country's TV executives refuse to make a priority. West Wing has done one thing in its seven years, that is raised the level of political awareness. The topics have been thought provoking for the most part. Yes they were great when Sorkin was there, but that doesn't mean they couldn't continue to be great with another intelligent writer and staff. I think NBC is missing a chance to show that intelligent TV can make a transition and still raise the level of consciousness of its viewers. The thought of the transition was exciting. Who was going to stay? Who was going to be new to the show? How were they going to tackle the new issues? I will miss Leo, just as I miss Mrs. Landingham, but life goes on and the show had a chance to show that, but instead they took the easy way out. I don't want it to end...I want it to transform and continue!

January 27 2006 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott Roberts

Has the numbskull been fired who made the decision to move WW to Sunday nights to begin with ??? Anyone who thought Jerry Seinfeld or the cast of Friends made too much money need only look at the decimation going on at NBC since their exit from primetime. Now they're pulling the plug on one of the only 10 or 12 decent primetime programs that was left due to horrendous off-camera decisions about the show.

You can't tell me that there wasn't a time slot during the week that could have extended this show another 3 years to the magic 10 season mark despite the drop in viewers from the shows peak. The post about a new show with a President Vinnick was the best. Season 1 writes itself with the personal and public transition in and out of office between the old and a new cast. Alda may not be up for the rigors of a regular show at his age however and the Bartlet character's intellect would be a tough act to follow.

What a loss for the few of us left that actually think a little as we watch some of these shows with less and less to choose from as the networks self destruct before our very eyes.

January 25 2006 at 6:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Logan

We all knew this day would come. I'll miss this show (I am a HUGE fan), and I am especially disappointed because the seventh season was just getting interesting. The notion of a new administration was a chance to revitalize the show, and it was exciting to watch.

As for the future of Leo in the show, I think they'll work in his death, especially since the heart problem had already been established in Season 6. I suspect his death will be written into a pre-election episode and his name will remain on the ballot (already printed and mailed to absentee voters). Coul have been a major plot driver in Season 8, but that won't happen now.

Vinick would never have won the election and had a season as president. That would be too hard to imagine. It wouyld have been a portrayal of Republicans that was inconsistent with reality and with the show's reality. It would have been what idealistic liberals wish Republicans would be like. Of course, the show was full of characters who were what idealistic liberals thought Democrats should be like.

The idea of a Vinick victory is more plausible now since no one will actually have to write the episodes. If I had to bet, I'd put my money there.

January 23 2006 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PJ Stevens

Say it ain't so... How to replace Leo? What to do with a new president? Is Toby covering for someone? Will Josh and Donna finally take the plunge... Questions we are left to answer on our own. While the final (hard to actually say that) season of West Wing will not answer all, or any, of these questions it is what we are left with. That and possibly the best TV Drama ever done. 4 straight Emmy's spoiled us from the beginning so in Season 5 when it returned from Best Ever to simply Magnificent on a ratings scale we as fans took it hard that NBC couldn't accept one more season for an attempt to get "it" corrected. A new president? Numerous cast changes no matter who won? Sounds like a great idea for a reinvention of a fan favorite. See ER for a how to; they've been doing it for what 12 years now?

January 23 2006 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M. Heiden

I just read of NBC's intentions to cancel the West Wing. Reason given was low ratings after moving to Sunday night? So, rather than moving back to Wednesday or any other time slot, they decide to completely cancel the only intelligent, watchable show on any network.

Apparently every single functioning brain at NBC is tied up in the writing staff of one show. With so little quality TV out there, what a shame and a waste.

M. Heiden