American Idol pisses off gay, lesbian groups

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 23rd 2006 10:42AM
aiThe season premiere of American Idol included a few questionable comments that have ticked off gay rights groups. The group, Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), is demanding to meet with Idol producers over two specific comments made by Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson. During one audition, Simon told a hopeful to "shave off your beard and wear a dress." I believe he added that the contestant would make an excellent female impersonator. The second comment came from Jackson, who asked an effeminate contestant named Zachary if he was a girl. Then, when Zachary left the auditions, the theme to The Crying Game was played. Neither contestant made it to the next round.

Erik

"Not because of this. Just because of it all. Do I really NEED to see a crew of 3 discourage people and make fun of them? Life is filled with too much of that in the first place."

Yes...did you listen to some of these people? They can't sing...would you rather them say not this year and these people spend their lives trying to sing when they really can't? Get a life. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. If you don't have the thick skin to hear the comments (and it's not like this is a shock to people, we aren't in the first season) don't try out. Damn, people are such cry-babies all of sudden. I love watching them rip apart these 'contestants', they deserve what they get...don't subject us to bad singing, they won't subject you to harsh comments.

January 23 2006 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elliott

Seriously I was really let down by AI. Before every commercial break they made it seem like we were going to see something really crazy. Then when they finally showed the 'last audition' it was Zach. Big deal. Maybe this was exciting and unexpected to the good citizens of Deliverance, but I was really disappointed. I'm not sure why I want AI to become a cross between Star Search and Jerry Springer, but I do. And they certainly market it that way.

January 23 2006 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon Carpenter

Just to clear it up, the bigger stage comment could have also meant we need a big stage for such a big voice. It can be taken 2 ways so there is no need to get upset about it

January 23 2006 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

I was surprised by Simon's "female impersonator" comment and the only thing I can think of is Simon was using his harsh comment to get through to the guy that he was not what they are looking for. The guy did say that he had tried out before so perhaps Simon recognized him - that doesn't excuse the comment, but may explain it.

On Jackson's behalf, Zachary came in the door mumbling about being a boy looking like a girl, talking quickly and not making much since. I think Jackson was simply trying to figure out what Zachary was saying. And Zachary...they aren't prejudice - you can't sing, sorry.

I don't think Simon said "a stronger stage" I think he said "a bigger stage" both mean - but Hollywood is all about image. If you aren't ready to be scrutinized about everything about you, then stay away...far, far away.

As for them making fun of people auditioning...far better they knock down the karaoke singers that think they sound great after 4 beers than those same singers sell everthing they have to move to Hollywood and lose their life savings only to be told by different producers that they suck.

January 23 2006 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
quizzle

Having them getting made fun of is the best part of the show to me. :) If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

January 23 2006 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

Are we becoming a tad too over sensitive? Seriously. I think the "bashing" in American Idol is pretty equal opportunity bashing. Gay, straight, whatever, if you dress funny, sing funny, act funny they're going to make fun of you and that's the point. If you don't like it, don't watch it. But saying making fun of one thing is okay but not about something else... I say, get a sense of humor and don't take these things too seriously. It's friggin' American Idol, one of the trashiest shows around.

January 23 2006 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maddr

I loved it!!!!!!!

what ever happened to freedom of speech?

All of this synthetic outrage is a joke! Whenever you hear someone get mad about a Politically incoreect comment, it's only purpose is to generate more attention, thus more income to the group. I.E. GLAAD

makes me sick!

January 23 2006 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

Effeminate? Be fair to the judges -- the kid was, in fact, dressed in girl's clothes. Given his reaction of crying to his mother saying "They thought I was a girl" it makes me think the kid's got some issues. Surely he's not oblivious to the fact.

January 23 2006 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KBarrick

Yeah, I'm done with American Idol.
Done with Ryan Seacrest.
Done with Paula Abdul.

It's dead to me. (Thank you Steven Colbert!)

January 23 2006 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mandy

I realize part of the success of Idol is Simon's tactless comments, but this season he seems to have gone overboard even for Simon. One woman who made it through to Hollywood was a little overweight and he said he hoped they "had a stronger stage" this year. He's had overweight contestants in the past and never made such comments, so I think he is just trying keep the media talking about him.

January 23 2006 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply