October 30, 2014

Emily is gone, but Jake will return

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 23rd 2006 9:16AM
ABC put a lot of effort into promoting Emily's Reasons Why Not, to turn around and cancel it after one airing (yes, it is officially canceled). Network execs say they pushed the Heather Graham series big time without even seeing a script, and when the final product did air, it wasn't what they wanted at all.

ABC pulled John Stamos' Jake in Progress from its schedule at the same time it pulled Emily, leaving fans to wonder whether that show was over as well. Rest assured, Jake fans, according to the LA Times, it will return to television. The president of ABC prime time entertainment says he really likes Jake in Progress and the show will eventually return.

And, despite poor ratings for Commander in Chief and Invasion, ABC says it still believes in those series.

Matthew

Invasion is a good show, and as we all know, it's up to the Network Execs to decide whether or not it'll continue being aired. Regretfully, this isn't a good thing! Very rarely will you see good shows (with substance) with lackluster ratings stay on the air, yet the next "Joe Millionaire" or "Dancing with Stars" with good ratings will! It sickens me how people (and networks for that matter) don't demand the same of television shows as they do other forms of entertainment. I guess TV is truly the "BOOB TUBE"!

February 22 2006 at 2:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C R

Dammit! I was really looking forward to having Ms. Graham on my TV each week.

Seriously though, there were a few cringe-worthy moments in that first episode of "Emily," but I think there was a nugget of potential there. I was resolved to try watching another episode at least. Bummer.

January 27 2006 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

"Jake In Progress" has fans???

January 23 2006 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

Anna, there was a typo in the link. Try http://janeespenson.com/

January 23 2006 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anna

Trav- I'm not able to get on that website.

January 23 2006 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

On the plus side, we're now one step closer to Heather Graham on Skinamax.

January 23 2006 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trav

Actually, according to www.janesepenson.com (one of the writers) they just got notice that Jake is cancelled.

January 23 2006 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracy

Invasion has poor ratings? With all of the fan sites going up, and all of the following it seems to have, I don't see how it can have poor ratings. And Commander in Chief, too? I guess I just don't get how shows that are good enough to be nominated for (and win) awards can have such bad ratings. I really hope ABC doens't cancel Invasion - it's one of my new favorite shows!

January 23 2006 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply