October 21, 2014

NBC denies Friends reunion rumors - UPDATE

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 23rd 2006 5:47PM
FriendsLast night, Jonathan wrote about a report that claimed the six main actors from Friends were going to reunite for a series of one-hour specials.  It also mentioned that the three male leads -- Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry, and David Schwimmer -- were going to star in a spin-off. Readers responded by either getting their hopes up or cursing NBC for digging up the corpse of a series that died a year and a half ago.

Well, we've got more news for you: It ain't gonna happen, at least according to NBC.

Here's the update from Jonathan:

"Consider this rumor dead as most of us wisely assumed from the get go. Access Hollywood had this to say earlier today, with a direct quote from Jeff Zucker (CEO of NBC Universal's TV Group) squashing the rumors.

Also, many thanks to TV Squad's own Ryan j Budke, who spent numerous hours on the phone this morning with NBC's Media Relations Department, who had this to say: 'There are currently no plans to have any follow-up to Friends other than Joey, which is still a major part of our comedy line-up and we whole-heartedly support. The rumors started this weekend are just that; rumors. We wish the rest of the cast of Friends continued success in their careers, and would welcome them back at any time, but there are currently no plans for them to appear in their Friends roles.' "

Mike

I just rented the finale of friends and I watched and cried so much. I really think friends need a reunion. Please!!!

May 13 2006 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zille

I would have liked to see Friends back. I thought it was the perfect way to do it, too; it would be weird to have a movie version, and another season would kill it. But the four 1-hour SPECIALS would attract both old and new viewers, it would give us a small extra Friend kick, and give the show the proper closure (so we could all name our cats Michael... :)) it deserves. NBC would earn millions of dollars, and I think it would help their ratings go up, as there haven't really been any other show after Friends to take its place... maybe that's why they are still clinging on to Joey, it's keeping some Friends fans still watching... without it, what do they have? Will&Grace should have ended 3 seasons ago (I still like it, but it has gone on too long imo), The West Wing doesn't have the best ratings... Seriously, I can't for the life of me understand why they are not making this reunion!

May 04 2006 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KarlZIII

I love "Joey" and look forward to its return. I still don't understand why they took it off (for all this time) if they love it and are committed to it, as they say they are. "How you doin'?"

March 20 2006 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
halagoo

BRING BACK FRIENDS!!! I miss it soooo much its unbelievable! I cry everytime I see the Finale, and although I have Friends on DVD and watch it every day on TV, I still miss it! Even if it's only for a few episodes, I think they should bring back those loveable 6 to let the world know what's happening!!

March 17 2006 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
halagoo

March 17 2006 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kristina

I think they should bring the cast of Friends back for the reunion shows. The world was left hanging on what would have happened. We need better closeure than that. I love "Joey" and wish Matt LeBlanc all the best in the show, but would love to see where the rest of the story of Friends was heading had they stayed on the air.

March 04 2006 at 1:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alison Miller

This is crap, I think they should do a reunion. I miss the show and in no way think they could screw it up. These actresses and actors are better than that, and the world will love them probibly more than before.

January 30 2006 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick R

Seriously, if NBC loves Joey so much, why don't they marry it?

January 24 2006 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KBarrick

"Joey, which is still part of our comedy line-up and we whole-heartedly support and which I am legally obligated to reafirm when any issue regarding the cast of "Friends" comes up."

January 24 2006 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply