November 22, 2014

Surface: Episode 13

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 23rd 2006 9:47PM

SurfaceOne of the things that I like about Surface (one of many things) is that I really don't know where it's going with its story. I had assumptions I made about where these creatures came from, and they turned out to be wrong. I made an assumption on how the story was going to play out between Laura, Rich, and Miles, and I was wrong on that too. So I'm not going to try to predict what's going to happen anymore. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the remaining episodes for this season.

Dr. Morris tells Laura all about how she came to work for "The Firm." They recruited her, offered her whatever she wanted in salary ($500,000), and hired her to work on strange experiments involving cloning and extinct species. Then Laura starts to get sick...the doctor has slipped something into her tea. She passes out.

She wakes up in the bushes next to a highway. She calls Rich to come get her. He was in Louisiana, confronting the divorce attorney his wife has hired.

On a boat, Miles (still experiencing weird gooey stuff on his fingertips - shades of Spiderman) takes gasoline and a flare and burns a ton of eggs that are in the water. He tries to explain to one of the researchers what has been happening to him (the electricity, the connection to Nim and the others), but the researcher thinks he is joking.

Laura and Rich try to get into the pharmeceutical company tied to the experiments. The search around a giant building that seems deserted and abandoned. Rich stumbles upon a room that (I think) has blood on the walls. A young child is crying under a desk and says "have you seen my mother?" Rich tries to help the child, but it's actually some creature (monkey? babboon?), that jumps out and attacks Rich (freaky scene!). Meanwhile, authorities tag Nim so he can lead them to the other creatures.

The creatures are coming ashore, and the authorities and townspeople line up on the shore to confront them. They start firing. (The show is starting to get vicious!) Most of the creatures make it ashore, and the townspeople/authorities go down in history like other townspeople/authorities in science fiction/horror movies: they don't accomplish much, and only succeed in making things worse. (Come on, guns? No, use fire!)

Miles kisses Caitlan and walks into the water, to get the creatures away from land. At first I thought it was going to turn into that scene in Splash where Daryl Hannah goes back to the water to live, but I see in scenes from next week Miles is back.

Meanwhile, Dr. Morris gives Laura a lead - a name of someone that knows more about the experiments. Lee confronts Dr. Morris. He tells her she has violated company policy by disclosing everything to Laura. She asks him if she can e-mail her family and friends before she has to, um, "go." He lets her.

Laura and Rich go to a library to see his archive of materials. They find an old film reel from 1957, of an expedition in Asia involving that mysterious guy in the hat we saw in a greenhouse with Lee several episodes ago. The film shows the discovery of that weird plant Laura and Rich had, Cirko's plant. Also in this film from 1957? Lee, and he looks to be the same age as he is now. Hmmm...

Fantastic episode. It reached a suspense level you don't usually see on prime-time TV these days, at least in an 8pm sci-fi show. Two episodes left, and let's hope that means "SEASON finale" and not "SERIES finale."

Note: Stay tuned for an interview with Carter Jenkins (Miles) coming to TV Squad next week.

jan sterling

please go to savesurface.com and follow links to surface/firefly lounge and then go vote for surface - you can vote once an hour

March 17 2008 at 2:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sharon morgan

I love the show surface. I hope you bring it back next season. i cant wait to see what happens next. please do not cancel ths show. my whole family loves watching it.

February 07 2006 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hondo

To the Pate brothers - Roger Corman and Ed Woods say "Thank You" - Speilberg may be a lil' pissed .. unless he's the man behind the hat! Doctor Doom! (Or something like that).

February 07 2006 at 1:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LYNN KEMPTON

love this show. Miles and Nim are great. We should have such a dedicated pet as him to miles. Please bring this series back for 2006-2007. My family and I really need to find out what happens to Miles and crew. We know nimmy will live on.. go Nim.And how about stuffed nims,anyone know if they are out there yet to buy?? Need to have one..

February 07 2006 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
andrea taylor

Has anyone seen any Nim toys yet?
I love the little creatures.
I hope the show does come back.
The X-files did it over and over following
the conspiracy trails.

January 30 2006 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

I'm not a huge fan of this show, but I like it well enough. I won't cry if it doesn't come back next year, but I will definitely tivo and watch the rest of this year. As I've said before, this has been the most uneven show this year, but a tivo and a fast forward button makes it a pretty good little half hour.

All I really wanted to chime in on is the appearance and now the apparent disappearance of Martha Plimpton from the show. Her storyline and character were, to me, the high points of the season, and I don't see why writers and/or producers can't figure out a way to latch on to these interesting characters. But it seems to be a trend in popular tv these days (see Lost, and the biggest offender Battlestar Galactica).

January 28 2006 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
floridAL

I've enjoyed this show since the beginning. It amazed me at how much action took place in each show, especially compared to the dismal "Invasion" where nothing ever happens. Since the creatures are worldwide, this show could branch off and create new characters in other locations and still retain some of its uniqueness like "Lost" does (in the way that it highlights character development.) But, if it tries to remain in its current small town with the three main characters, then I think it will plummet to the depths of the creatures' main habitat.

January 27 2006 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

That new title sequence was LAME.

UGh.

January 25 2006 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

I agree with Chadly.

This show's first 10 episodes were GREAT. Now, it's just limping to the finish (with the exception of Martha Plimpton's first episode).

You can tell the show-runner and/or writers were told by the network to raise ratings, but it's only led to lower quality shows.

What are the ratings on this show? I don't expect to see it next year, but what do I know?

January 25 2006 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chadly

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone the last few weeks. I see everyone raving about how good these last two episodes have been, yet my wife and I both feel like the show has totally jumped the shark. We were HUGE fans at first but lately it feels like it has deteriorated just when it SHOULD be getting really great. The banter between Laura and Rich is pretty much intolerably annoying at this point. I've never been a fan of Rich and I feel like he's actually dumbing down Laura.

I'm hanging in till the end, hoping it will redeem itself. I am interested in what's going on with Miles, though disappointed to see his entire town turn into Every Hick Town Faced With Strange Creatures In A Movie Ever. I'd like to see whats up with unaging Lee and the funky space flower. There's still a lot of unanswered questions out there that I want to see the answers to, but I hope the next two episodes are better than the last.

Also, am I the only one who feels like the whole mechanism of bringing in Dr. Morris then getting rid of her immediately was a cheap and heavy-handed way of moving along the story when Laura and Rich were stuck?

I did enjoy seeing Miles go all Willard with the Nim-critters. I've always empathized the most with Miles, and his storyline for the most part remains pretty enjoyable.

January 25 2006 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply