April 23, 2014

The Book of Daniel: Axed!

by Michael Sciannamea, posted Jan 24th 2006 5:29PM

Well, they say nothing lasts forever, and they were right. NBC's The Book of Daniel has been cancelled, effective immediately. The Friday 10 pm slot will be occupied this week by a rerun of a Law and Order episode. No word yet on what the network will do to permanently fill the slot.

I have mixed feelings on this situation. IMHO, the episodes were filled with way too many subplots and that the writers and producers were more interested in trying to get away with things rather than developing a story. However, I also thought the show could have evolved into something, given more time. Of course, ratings are everything, and this show didn't have them, plain and simple.

I wonder if The Book of Daniel will be "resurrected" on a cable network, a la HBO or Showtime. It might just find a home and a loyal, albeit smaller, audience if that happens.

ocean

someone please bring this show back. i found it on netflix and spent the next two days watching it. i'm hooked. i hope hbo or showtime will continue the story so the rest of us can enjoy it.

November 10 2006 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ETtoo

Great show! I hope its picked up by Showtime.

February 08 2006 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

I enjoyed the show and got a few laughs out of it. The so called christian right don't want us to think these things happen in their families they just don't want the rest of America to see it and second guess them. I know personally some christian friends who have some of the same issues the show portrayed in their families. There is a lot worse trash on tv than this little show. Let hope they resurrect the show on some cable channel where the Right has little influence.

February 03 2006 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

This show was great: fresh, funny at times, poignant and was a joy to watch. Unfortunately, some hypocritical fundamentalistas want to dictate their tastes on everyone else. Wake up. This was a drama! Not a reality show (although I'm sure that a lot of these bigoted Christian families have worse going on behind closed doors.

January 28 2006 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick Burns

It was supposed to air tonight, instead, NBC gave us a blurb saying the /remaining/ episodes can be viewed at nbc.com, now for a special Law & Order.

I can't believe how quickly these shows are getting axed. I blame it on the Nielsen Ratings... they're having trouble adopting to the way people are watching TV, using PVRs, TiVos, and such. They can't get an accurate reading of the ratings, so execs think that no one is watching these shows, when in fact many people are! I know for a fact that when we were a Nielsen family for two years, they had trouble getting accurate readings from us.. we have 3 VCRs running and they were pratically out here every week for 6 months straight trying to adjust their software for our particular setup.

January 28 2006 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristy

They didn't even give this show a chance! Friday night at 9:00, please, what a horrible time slot! It is disgusting that radical so called Christians get to dictate what the rest of us watch! Where's the petition to keep this show on?

January 27 2006 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff

the episode scheduled to air tonight will be available at 8p at nbc.com.

January 27 2006 at 6:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Give me a fucking break.

January 26 2006 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pastor Michael trenga

I also signed a petition, in order, to have it cancelled. And low and behold so must of a lot of others who are for values and not trash. Good entertainment should not involve sex, and drugs.
What ever happened to good American family values, and shows like the Red Skelton show or The Andy Griffith show?
Trash in and so Trash out!! No wounder the Country is in a mess!!

January 25 2006 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Simmons

Never understimate the power of the people's comments!

I signed a petition, in order, to have it cancelled and sure enough, my voice was heard as were countless others!

Yea!