November 27, 2014

The Five: Shows I've never seen

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 24th 2006 11:04AM

Ricky GervaisWe try to watch everything here at TV Squad, but some stuff just falls through the cracks. Some of us don't have certain channels, some of us are too poor to go out and buy the DVDs, some of us were born too late to see certain shows, and they aren't on anymore. That's why it's good we have so many writers here. If one person can't cover it, another one will.

Here are five shows I've never seen:

1. The Office: the original version, with Ricky Gervais. For a long time I didn't have the channels that the show ran on (and I don't live in England), so I never caught it. I love the American version, and I'm sure the original's DVDs are in my future.

2: CSI: NY: I'm all CSI-ied out. I think the show - all of them, actually - are incredibly overrated. I really can't believe that CSI is the most watched TV show. It still boggles my mind, since I gave the show half a season before it was canceled.

3. Rodney: Is this show any good? I don't know anyone who watches it.

4. Rome: I hear lots of great things about this show, but I just have no interest in seeing it. Sorry.

5. The 4400: Love sci-fi, but I've never seen this either.

Andrew M.

1. The UK version of THE OFFICE is far better than the U.S. version in my opinion. I tried the new one and just couldn't get into it. Steve Carell is a fantastic comedian, but the Gervais original takes the cake. I highly recommend you rent/buy the DVDs and give this version a chance.

2: CSI: NY: This was another show I gave up after about 3 episodes. I have watched the original from the beginning and most of the time, I really enjoy it. I think CBS went a little too far in making two spin-offs, especially so quickly. The few times I have watched CSI: MIAMI, I have been turned off by the grandstanding performance of David Caruso. And I really like Gary Sinise, but I just couldn't watch another CSI.

3. RDONEY: Is this the sitcom with Rodney Carrington. My former roommate liked his stand-up, but other than one ad for this show, I have heard or seen nothing.

4. ROME is great. I think the reason a lot of U.S. viewers weren't drawn in was because the show's cast was made up of mostly unknown Brits. It was a real slow burner that ended with an explosive last few episodes. It's worth checking out if you like good drama and history.

5. I thought THE 4400 was crap. I watched almost the entire first season and it was just not that interesting. And the performances and scripting was so hammy. I was very surprised when this got renewed for a 2nd season

January 25 2006 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

Oh Bob, tell me it isn't true! :(

January 25 2006 at 4:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D Colin

Never saw the British " The Office" -- well 5mins. of it, but the really thin blond guy with sucken in eyes scared me. I love the American version.

Never seen " Battlestar Galactica" -wasn't sure if I'd like it, but I have the whole first part of season 2 on my DVR (thanks to a marathon a few weeks back, my brother said I have to check this show out) and the newest episodes as well -- just need to find the miniseries and first season at my rental shop.

No interest in "Rome", not sure why- just don't feel it.

Really like "The 4400", fun summer show

Anyone not watching "Veronica Mars" need to be-- LOVE IT!

One show never watched up to two/three weeks ago is "House'. Last year it was up against "Veronica Mars" and "The Amazing Race" and then "Scrubs"/"The Office" so I didn't have the time to take on yet another show. Plus had seen clips and never seen a hospital that looked that nice. But it now on Friday nights on USA and I gave it a shot. Interesting, kind of like it. I'll watch the reruns on USA- and check out season 2 when it comes out on DVD.

Never seen full episode of
NYPD Blue
The Simpsons --- can't get over the fact they don't age, that just bothers me

Never seen
The Sopranos Deadwood Skating With Celebrities
The Shield Six feet Under The Bachelor
Related Reba

and I watch alot of TV-- my DVR, VCRs' are working overtime with Lost, Veronica Mars, Bones,Invasion,Gilmore Girls, Supernatural,Scrubs, Law and Order:SVU, Grey's Anatomy,24, My Name is Earl,Love Monkey (cause I'll always love ED), Numbers, Desperate Housewives, CSI,CSI Miami, Everwood, Without A Trace, The Office, Two and a Half Men, Monk, Alias, Smallville, The O.C., Commander in Chief, Las Vegas, Medium, Surface, How I met..... and kill me but 7th Heavan --- I watch way too much TV

January 25 2006 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Honestly, this whole thread is rather pretentious: what is the point to tell people you aren't watching a popular show? Are we supposed to admire that?

Regarding CSI: "It still boggles my mind, since I gave the show half a season before it was canceled."

Here is a solution to the puzzle: people have different tastes than you. Now, if only you could announce the same condemnation for Arrested Development the show may have a chance.

January 25 2006 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheMatt

You know, I think this is the first one of these "shows I don't watch" that *hasn't* mentioned NCIS. For a show that is Top 10 in rankings, it's amazing how few people actually watch it.

January 24 2006 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

CSI: is one of the best shows on television. I never got into NY or Miami, though.

L&O, I can take it or leave it.

Shows I'll never watch: Anything on UPN, WB, SciFi, Comedy Central, or Fox.

January 24 2006 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Don't listen to what most of these people have said about The 4400. It may have taken a downward spiral in the middle of the second season, but it is no where near the crap that lost has been putting out this season. The 4400 will definitely pick up next season due to the finale which had plenty of interesting twists. The show should return this summer by the way.

January 24 2006 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hiwind

The original office was so much better. The pacing of the jokes is what kills the american version. 4400 is decent. Season 2 had a ton of filler episodes but the twist after twist in the season finale was brilliant. If you haven't seen Veronica Mars or Battlestar Galactica, you're missing out. Those are two shows which I'd say not even Lost can compare to.

January 24 2006 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
captainmicahp

I'll admit it, I watched Rodney once. It was like a bad southern version of Roseanne with better looking people (without the funny parts). It is pretty suprising that it hasn't been cancelled. All the great shows on tv that are cancelled without given a chance, and ABC has this on for more than one season, it makes you wonder if they just never got around to canceling it because they forgot it was still on.

January 24 2006 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

If anyone cares... the 5 Shows I've never seen

1. Any show with "CSI" in the name

2. Any show with "Law & Order" in the name

3. "Veronica Mars"

4. "Battlestar Galactica"

5. "King of Queens"

Otherwise, I have watched at least an episode or two someone where down the line. Is that a lame list or am I just lucky to have not been sucked into crime sagas?

January 24 2006 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply