October 31, 2014

All things point to Colbert, at least on his set

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 25th 2006 6:01PM
Stephen ColbertIn a fairly wide-ranging interview with the always-thorough Onion A.V. Club, Stephen Colbert talks about doing a character he calls a "well-intentioned, poorly informed, high-status idiot" on a daily basis on The Colbert Report. Among the topics covered in the interview: his college years, his comedic influences, his years working with Second City, where he understudied Steve Carell, his comparison of the Craig Kilborn and Jon Stewart versions of The Daily Show, and how playing Dungeons & Dragons influenced his acting ability.

(The only thing that bugs me a little is that the article says that the Report is Colbert's third collaboration with Amy Sedaris, after Exit 57 and Strangers With Candy. One little problem: Amy is nowhere to be found in the IMDb listing for the Report. Doesn't seem like her type of humor, anyway.)

My favorite detail in the interview is how Colbert dives into how his set was designed: "[I]f you look at the design, it all does, it all points at my head. And even radial lines on the floor, and on my podium, and watermarks in the images behind me, and all the vertices, are right behind my head. So there's a sort of sun-god burst quality about the set around me. And I love that. That's status."

Kara Place

How can I email Stephen Cobert? I am not a personal friend. Don't even know him. Just a Mensa member who thinks he is brilliant and would love to talk to him. Can't find an email address on Comedy Central.Not a stalker, just a fan that "gets" everything he says. I know this doesn't mean much...I'm sure all the girls tell him this, but I'm "fer reeaal, biiaatch!"

August 16 2006 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
catt young

How can I email Stephen Colbert I am an old friend and I like to send him a email but I don't want it to get in the wrong hands

May 01 2006 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
catt young

May 01 2006 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sally Blakemore

We watched with mouths hanging open at the brilliance in the Press Club
presentation! A lion in their midst! What could they have been thinking to let this brilliant man in the door, to talk IN THEIR FACES!
Thank you Stephen Colbert!
This is the revolution, under the wire, and THEY don't even suspect.

Thank you. We are declaring MAY 1 the TRUE Revolutionary STEPHEN COLBERT DAY!

VIVA REVOLUTION
VIVA COLBERT
VIVA laying down the truth so even THEY can't weasle out of it.

CONGRATULATIONS,

Sally Blakemore

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to
worry about answers.
Thomas Pynchon

owner and creative director
Arty Projects Studio, Ltd.
a paper engineering studio

e-mail: artyprojects@cybermesa.com
sallyb@mothering.com
Google: Sally Blakemore for a list of books

Tel: 505-473-3008 Fax: 505-438-9372
Mothering magazine 505-984-6295
Arty Projects Studio, Ltd.
3012 Siringo Rondo South
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507

"Fear always springs from ignorance."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

April 30 2006 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ErricZ

Well, Val, it pointed ME to a great interview with Stephen Colbert ... not sure why you gleaned absolutely NOTHING from the article ... maybe you should write your own articles for the site?

February 01 2006 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bekah

Stephen Colbert is hilarious. I give the guests he has on his show a lot of credit. They have no idea what they are in for. I don't even think Stephen Colbert knows what they are in for until they are up there, face to face. I actually feel nervous for them.

January 28 2006 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

If nothing else, I enjoy saying "Colber(t) Repor(t)". It's fun. I would like to know how he keeps a straight face all the time.

January 28 2006 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Valerie

And the purpose of this article is...? I learned nothing from it, enjoyed nothing about it, and can't see anything it it remotely informative...

January 28 2006 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richard luka

Stephen Colbert is at his absolute best during the interview segment. He manages to keep a straight face while going on a stream-of-consciousness rant against his guest, with the whole premise being that he alone is the sole preserver of our treasured national values. But what adds a delicious layer to all this, is his character believes that HE is the national treasure.

January 28 2006 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adam wong

They also collaborated, with Paul Dinello, on the fantastically weird book Wigfield.

January 25 2006 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply