October 31, 2014

Can YOU understand what they're saying on Love Monkey?

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 25th 2006 8:57AM
I Can't hear Love Monkey!I know my hearing's not the best. Too many years of going to live rock shows in tiny clubs and too many days of blasting my car stereo have seen to that. But I can usually hear at least 95% of what's being said on most of the shows on the air today, even quick-talking shows like Scrubs and Gilmore Girls. But for some reason, I only seem to be catching about 70% of what's being said on Love Monkey. I'm watching tonight's episode as I type this; I have the volume cranked up but I'm still not catching any more than I was before.

Are they mumbling? Talking faster than any human can possibly do without a script? Does the sound mix have the music turned up way too high? Or am I going even more deaf than I thought? Let me know in the comments.

(Oh, on a side note: they really, really need to get rid of the narration. It's beyond irritating.)

Nick

I enjoyed this show. Thought Tom was a reg. guy....someone you could really like,and root for....I was trying to figure out why I couldn't find it anymore!sad......

February 28 2006 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karen

Hooray for posters #5 thru #7! I like the narration, too. I don't see how Tom Cavanagh's voice can be annoying and he feeds us the plot progession in a style that is both effective and entertaining. As for the volume - I happily crank the volume and don't miss a thing. My guess is that the sound mix is set for audiophiles who crank it through all the hopped up enviable hardware that an audio simpleton like me could care less about. Dialogue is hot and snappy. Deep and true to character. Feels very real - voyeuristic even! I can't wait for this to come back or be picked up by another network.

February 22 2006 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Garrett Austin

I heard everything perfectly fine. I had no troubles hearing what they had to say...and I must say I loved the narration. It was just sumthin new and others shows didn't do it. To bad it was pulled off air I thought it would have been a hit.

February 20 2006 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

I agree with the difficulty in hearing all of the lines. Thank god I Tivo each episode. However, I strongly disagree about the narration. I think the narration is a big part of what makes this show so great!! My roommate and I look forward to the show every week. I'm also trying to get all of my friends to start watching. I hope this show makes it.

January 26 2006 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

I hadn't noticed. My volume level stays pretty loud though (I'm in a noise war with the appartment above me), so that might have had everything to do with.

I love the style though... Very Sorkin, very Gilmore.

January 25 2006 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
veal

I thought last night's show was great! As a lifelong rock obscurist, I find that every time the action or dialog flags, I can instantly zoom in on the backgrounds or subtexts and find something to be interested in.

January 25 2006 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elizabeth

Yay, it's not just me! Last week we recorded the premiere and were able to rewind when we missed stuff (such as Judy Greer guessing which artist Tom was quoting), but this week we watched it when it actually aired. I swear if you happen to chat over the slightest bit, you miss something big.

I'm gonna go as far to say they could give those "Gilmore Girls" a run for their money as far as speedtalking goes.

January 25 2006 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marco Garbelini

I noticed the same thing but figured that it's probably due to the fact that english is not my first language.

Good to know that it's not me, but them!

January 25 2006 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Sheridan

Good God, I thought I was losing my hearing! Glad to see other people can't understand some of the dialog. They probably think the faster they talk, the funnier the too cutesy dialog will be.

January 25 2006 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply