September 30, 2014

Commander in Chief: Wind Beneath My Wing

by Sarah Gilbert, posted Jan 25th 2006 11:47PM

see, madam president, here is where all the good lines went...This week, watching Commander in Chief, I felt as if I was in the middle of a lovable Steve Martin movie, one where the children were full of hi-jinks, the sexual escapades were many, the adults were in charge of Very Important Things and, at the end, everyone met over the breakfast table to giggle and eat homemade pancakes. In other words: schmaltz. In other words: saccharine. Gah! And just when we thought Nathan Templeton was going to be evil again.

Speaking of Donald Sutherland's evilness, I was happy to see just a glimpse of it, but it was prefaced by such a terrifically (I almost wrote, monumentally) obvious and overplayed line from Jim. I'll get to that in a minute. But first:

Isn't this show supposed to be award-winning? Oh, right, it was Geena Davis. Well, congratulations sweetie, I think you deserve it. But with dialogue like this, you may not keep the honor for long.

Tonight the kids had a party in the Oval Office, the President got to talk down a terrorist bent on blowing up Air Force One, and (not to be outdone) Richard McDonald, flirtacious campaign manager, gets a roll in the hay with a cute reporter chick. Yes! I know! It sounds like a cross between Party of Five and Over There.

There were parts of this show that were actually kind of cute. When Becca is showing her friend the button that sends a launch code to a satellite (but really just turns on a light), she's sweet and funny. Out of character, sure, but extremely likable! And when Richard's flirting with the reporter, oh, he's highly likable in a soda-pop kind of way.

But sorry: got NO respect for a campaign manager who so giddily, and inelegantly, sleeps with a reporter. A skilled writer could make an affair like this seem more important. But here? It's gaudy and silly, a 19-year-old flirtation. "So does this mean we're members of the mile-high club?" the reporter trills as they button up (they've had sex in Air Force One, while the plane waiter - on the ground - for the President to finish her tour). I gag, and want to hurry her buttoning, and get her off the screen already.

Then we come to the negotiation bit. It seems that the terrorist who wants to blow the plane up has an agenda: he was a disabled veteran, who partially recovered, and thus his wife is no longer covered by his health care and there's some super-expensive treatment that she could use to get well and no one will give her. Hey, didn't Denzel Washington try this? Why not threaten the President of the United States.

No one's really in danger, as the plane is evacuated. But still, here's another opportunity for Mac to show her balls, or lack thereof. Templeton drools over the prospect of her screwing up. She decides to talk directly to the man, convince him to back down. Is she... negotiating with terrorists? Cue Jim.

Jim: Madame President, this has the makings of a monumental blunder.

Evilly lip-licking look by Donald Sutherland.

Naturally, Mac doesn't negotiate, but somehow manages to talk him down, let him save face, and not promise him a thing. Templeton is foiled again. They all return back to the White House, full of assymetrical zippered dresses and secret satisfaction. Where, unbeknownst to them, the children have lost the Gettysburg Address (one of six copies).

Yes! This is a Disney movie with Lindsay Lohan (before the drugs and anorexia)!

Steven Bochco: thank you for the lovely clothes President Allen wears. But please, please, please, hire some writers and stop using one of those lotto machines to shake up lines from old movies and TV shows and re-organize them in some semblance of TV. Please.

jim

I love this program. The ten commercials every ten minutes are a sure bet to cause me and many others to go to another show to find some relief.

April 21 2006 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glenda

I have watched this show from the beginning and I think it is GREAT.

It covers a lot on today's issues and I think that it should not be dropped or changed.

We the public say things about how our government works we do nothing or think we can't. I beleive this show is putting these issues under a lamp now. The politicians do so many underhanded things that we don't know about. Like last night show (A Bill) is presented to the House and Senate and items are attached to the original bill changing the whole reason for the bill.. This happens everyday and "WE THE PEOPLE" let it slip by us.. We think the government is working for US when they are only concerned about themselves and there friends.. We need people like the President that Geena Davis plays. If we did we would be a better country .

April 14 2006 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Geena Davis ROCKS!!
i love her
she's brilliant
dee xxo

April 05 2006 at 7:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

I also like this show very much and would also like to know when it is coming back?

March 17 2006 at 8:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
G Reale

When is the show returning?

March 14 2006 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nessy

Sry I forgot to finish...sure the trouble isn't real...or is it? I find the show a breath of fresh air and a good family show. None of the dumb stuff the reallity shows have. I like the way they all work together and join forces in the time of need.

If I knew how to rate it it with stars I would give it a 9 out of 10 star rating.

March 11 2006 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nessy

if you dont like the show then don't watch. I feel the show is GOOD. I like the way the show handles many problems.

March 11 2006 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheyla

okay.. so I like the show... but it is mainly because I read the fan fiction.

Fans can make any show seem better than it is.

I hate the writing, and I love the talent. I don't know what to do with myself half the time... so I concentrate on pretty people on the screen.

February 16 2006 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bec

I've watched the first 5 episodes and I totally love it. How good would it be if it were reality ?

January 30 2006 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply