American Idol is over

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 26th 2006 1:49PM

Paris BennettI had the very same reaction as The New York Post did when they watched the AI auditions from North Carolina on Tuesday night. There was one person who stood out. One person who I can really picture having a career as a singer, whether she wins Idol or not.

It's Paris Bennent, the 17 year old who sang "Cowboy Take Me Away" and "Take Five." She has control, maturity, and a voice that sounds so classic (so classic you think she probably shouldn't be singing the types of songs that an AI win will have her singing). A teenager who seemed to channel Billie Holiday or Ella Fitzgerald, or to a lesser extent Rosemary Clooney at her best. Great control, strong, with an integrity you could hear and feel.

Which, of course, means she probably won't win American Idol. But I can't wait til they get to the Hollywood competition!

Robert

I think Paris is a great singer, its in her blood. In my opinion she really did not need AI to make it in the music biz, I am sure her famous grandmother could have got her into contact with the right people. I always pull for the underdog every year, this year I am pulling for Taylor Hicks. He is not the idol on the outside, but man can he sing. I love the blues/joe cochran style he has.

February 27 2006 at 7:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tenisha

Paris Bennent is a great singer. I like her a lot. I hopes she wins. I liked her since day one. she really brought it tonight. she changed my feels about american idol because I said I would never vote again or watch american idol ever since my girl Vonzell Solomon was voted off. more than anything paris is another Fantasia. She knows how to bring it.

February 21 2006 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JS

I wish Paris would drop out of AI and release a CD tomorrow.

February 21 2006 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

Paris,Her moms song is a favorite one of mine i know it word for word,it is older, Rodeo Style.I have heard her granma sing at church so i know that she has talent i was wanting to know why she hasnt put out a album before with such talent in her family!She did good and she will dp great!I think she wanted to do it all with out her families help and she WILL!!

February 19 2006 at 2:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel

Paris rules! She was Dorothy in the Wiz at Edina High School (in Minnesota) a few years ago!!! She is so incredibly fantastic!

February 15 2006 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lizz

paris is from my high school! edina, mn. shes incredible

February 01 2006 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lydell Tolliver

I think Paris is sensational. When she sung i just fell inlove with her..Paris if you read this...Marry me!!!I feel she is the next american idol.

February 01 2006 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

I love Paris's voice so much that I hope she drops out of the competition and signs a record deal somewhere else :D

But if she wins, I'll still be cool with that :D

But yeah, she was flawless. I was kind of surprised that she began to cry after she was handed the "golden ticket." I kind of thought that she KNEW she would sail through. :)

January 31 2006 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Davona

Wow, Paris was absolutely awesome!! She blew me away when she sang her first rendition and made me get the chills!! I'm not kidding. When she sang, all I could do was stare with my mouth wide open, and listen to her beautiful voice. I definately hope she wins this competition!! She certainly has the vocals to do so.

January 30 2006 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MK

Paris Bennett- a name I will not forget. She made a tremendous impression on me because of her beautiful voice and genteel mannerisms. She was born to sing- it's obvious. The look of serenity and joy on her face while she sang was mesmerizing. If she continues on this way she will most definitely be getting my vote. She is really special.

January 28 2006 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply