August 22, 2014

Lost "easter eggs" from Fire plus Water

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jan 26th 2006 10:55PM
lost beachSeveral readers pointed out that there were several hidden gems within the lackluster episode that aired this past Wednesday. Thanks to friend Izzy at SpoilerFix.com for pointing me in the right direction in locating what I wasn't able to see myself. Read on if you want to know more about the two key scenes in question.

In the official Lost podcast, it's mentioned that viewers should keep an eye out for a building in the London skyline, where we'd see something special. Well, if you snoozed through the episode like I did, you may have missed the scene in question. It turns out that, during the scene following the botched music video Charlie is trying to get finished, you quickly see the building talked about. This building is the same one you can find on the cover of the Pink Floyd album, "Animals". Not exactly sure where the significance lies beyond that.

The other scene mentioned in online posts from Damon Lindelof is from the second dream sequence Charlie has, though you can only see it fully when viewed with an HDTV. In the upper-left corner of the screen, just over the trees, you can see the drug plane fly by and crash, then the dove appears. Without an HDTV, you can barely make out part of the plane going through the trees.

(Oh, and if you're a Veronica Mars fan, Wednesday's episode paid a small homage to Lost)

Ian Eccleshall

The building in the background (i.e. the Floyd album cover) is the former Battersea Power Station in London. It's been disused since the early 80s and is now a listed building. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battersea_Power_Station for further details.

February 09 2006 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

I'm with Bob on this. Say what you want about character driven vs. story driven, but this episode was just crap writing/producing. To end the last episode with the 'build an army' cliffhanger and then completely ignore it is silly. It seems like they had two different writing teams working on the scripts, with no communication between them. Add to that the fact that Michael is still off in the jungle somewhere, as are the others. And oh yeah, now they have more guns. Rather than even addressing any of these things, it's the island dating game.

I imagine it something like this.

Sun: Are you ok? That must have been terrifying having a gun to your head.
Kate: Oh that? Geez, that was like, yesterday. I'm gonna go get me a hunka hunka conman.

cut to Ana

Ana: So, about this army...
Jack interrupts.
Jack: Hey now. What's the hurry. Zeke said that if we stay over here they'll leave us along. And I've no reason not to trust him. What we need to do is go for a nice walk. Then we'll head over to TarpsRUs and get going on a nice new shelter for you.
Ana: Maybe we'll see Sayid along the way and ask him about the army.
Jack: Who?

Good god. I read somewhere someone comparing LOST to reading a Dickens novel. There is a lot of setup you have to get through before things can be resolved. My literary comparison is that LOST is like reading the Hardy Boys Mysteries. Only, you never finish any of the books. You just read half of one and chuck it so you can get to the next one.

They could have at least tried to stay on track, had they cut out some of the Charlie backstory that was nothing more than a rehash of what we already knew abuot his character.

Back on point. The sign that Lindelof mentioned in the podcast was on the power station from the Pink Floyd album. Unfortunately, every capture I have seen of it, high def or not, has been too blurry to make out what it actually says.

And finally, as to JJ Abrams and his 7 year sketch. If it is anything like his sketches for Felicity and Alias, I vote for round filing it and flying by the seat of the pants. That has to be better.

February 02 2006 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

The reason this episode was such a disappointment to me was because it completely ignored the ending of the previous one: "Do you think we could train an army?" Last week, that left me thinking - "Whoa! this show has gone to a whole new level!" but alas, this week the Charlie backstory seems to be more important... Or was it distraction from the fact that Jack and Ana have been spending a lot of time in the jungle together and Eko has been marking up trees because he "Liked" them. That's definetly for cutting them down; Seems like they're going to build a fortress, seige engine or maybe something bigger.

One other observation; Charlie probably hasn't stashed all the statuettes in the one place - drug addicts are cunning and he has been known to tell lies in the past, so he could well be using again from another cache. Locke is holding on to the statuettes now rather than having destroyed them - he must be planning to use the drugs for something, but what?

February 02 2006 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Josalyn, good pickup on the Pink Floyd lyrics. Too in the moment not to be the intent of the writers. What sign are you and others talking about? Is there supposed to be one on the building? The only sign I see in the show of any note is later when Liam gets on the Brixton Undergound. Don't know what that means literally (other than the Brixton Street station). The name of the building I think is the Battesea Power Station. If you drop the proper names from the two, you could come up with the underground power station, which I think is an already announced upcoming storyline. Could it be that simple, or is that too big of a reach?

Sue, for what its worth, I think Desmond is the guy Jack's wife left him for. Figure: (1) He was there in the stadium with/following Jack when he was operating on her, and their conversation then was about her, and (2) it was the main thrust of their conversation when they encountered each other in the hatch. There are no coincidences in "Lost."

Donna, three words: Digital Video Recorder. Look into it.

Rob, an interesting possibility for a show that is thick with religious overtones. But then again, that plot development would be about the thickest you could get. Do you think they would go so far?

Nathan, yours is a common theory, but let me posit this. Did you see Vanilla Sky? Did you like the payoff that Cruise's character was cryogenicly frozen in a lucid dream? Almost everyone I know thought that payoff was, well, disappointing to say the least. I think that's generally how people feel about those types of plot twists. They think its unrealistic and cheesy. Never mind that I think once you get past it, Vanilla Sky is one of the best films I've ever seen (the DVD commentary is excellent by the way). But, as for "Lost," I just don't think people would feel satisfied with a "virtual reality" payoff. Its too much Bobby Ewing and "it was all a dream." Besides, its been done before (see above).

Brandon, I also thought most people had seen this, but if you haven't it might give you a chuckle: http://megalottojackpot.com/

And
Melissa, when writers tell you they have 5-7 years "sketched out," lean very heavily on the idea that they are "sketched out," and not well thought out. They don't have 140 episodes already figured out, and it makes sense to me that when they get a hit series that they know is going to last a few years, they have "fill in" some of the rest. And sometimes, that's exactly what it feels like.

Remember, only two more days until a brand new epi-....damn!

January 30 2006 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathan

Did anyone else notice the Libby's attempt at trying to cover up that Hurley recognised her, she made some feeble excuse about him stepping on her toes so that he wouldn't dwell on it again, everytime the characters have met up in the airport or before the flight we have been showed that footage, Jack and Ana Lucia at the bar, Shannon and Saeed, this time we weren't shown this meeting, why is that?

I think you will find that most of the people on this island have psychological issues with their father's and family. They all seem to have reasonable ammounts of money, money enough to say become part of an experiment in a new method of treatment using virtual reality to overcome psychological issues. The others that don't have money are on state sponsored trials...Kate and Sawyer for correctional purposes, Ana Lucia sponsored by the police to recover from trauma. The whole scenario is controlled by the psychologists and I think some of them are in the program, namely Libby she is one of the doctors that is where Hurley remembers her from. It's not a fully fleshed out theory but it's getting there.

January 29 2006 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Siraris

I don't think that Jacks wife left him for Sawyer, that would be a pretty big stretch. It's a big enough one already that the real Sawyer could be Lockes father. There is no indication whatsoever that Sawyer was involved with a female at all.

January 29 2006 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donna

My husband and I biggest complaint is the overwhelming amount of commercials. The commercials are longer then the segment.

January 29 2006 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

Does anyone else think that Sawyer is the man Jack's wife left him for??

January 29 2006 at 2:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

Anyone else think Aaron could be the Anti Christ??
Locke doesn't seem to want him baptized for some reason.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm?