July 26, 2014

Oprah tears James Frey apart, or The Smoking Gun was right

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 26th 2006 1:13PM
Author James Frey isn't much of an alcoholic, a drug addict or a criminal. He's a pathological liar. And Oprah exposed him for what he is on her show today. Well, actually, The Smoking Gun exposed him for what he is back on January 8th. Oprah just forced him into admitting that he lied in his so-called memoir about addiction and crime, A Million Little Pieces. Oprah made that book number one on the best seller list when she included it in her book club. It sold 1.77 million copies.

Oprah opened her show by apologizing to viewers for trusting Frey so blindly that she called up Larry King when he was defending his lies book and voiced her support for him. To Frey's face, she said, "I really feel duped." Then, she proceeded to take him down. Inch by inch. God, I love this woman.

When she quizzed Frey about different characters and situations in the book, he told her, "all the way through the book I altered details about every one of the characters" (including himself). He said that yes, The Smoking Gun was exactly right. He only spent 2 hours in jail, not 87 days. That's a huge revelation since the jail time played a huge role in the book. He also lied about how he broke up with a woman and even about how she later committed suicide. His book said she hanged herself but, truthfully, she slashed her wrists.

See? Pathological liar.

Now Oprah needs to have The Smoking Gun staff on her show. They also deserve an apology from Winfrey, since she basically laughed off their investigation when she called in to Larry King that night.

(AOL has a clip of "Oprah's fury" today)

kmh22

let me also add that i find it HILARIOUS that it took saint oprah FIVE years to apologize to james frey. isint she all pure good and about being right well forgiveness is a huge part of that. its just funny tht it took her that long.

September 01 2011 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kmh22

who cares if he stretched the truth its a freaking book! i read both and love them more than anything i can read them over and over again. it is a book and thats all it is, a great book. i laugh ,i cried, it gave me will & strength. thats what a book should do. personally oprah and all her pathetic cult followers can shove it who cares if he lied he made millions and sold millions of GREAT books. don't be jealous.. p.s. i dont really have anything against oprah except she gets pretty annoying but hey she's doing her thing and i respect that but these followers are some crazies i tell you hahaha

September 01 2011 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
harvey

i read this book and i am an heroin dependant, the book gave me the will and believe to beat my addiction.
if this book is true to its word or polished up for sales, i for one know that it has had a major impact upon my own life and my families lives. they now understand some of what ive been through and i now am on the ment. thank you james you gave me a ray of light when i were stuck in the dark corner of addiction.

April 01 2006 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

I think it is ridiculous that he is facing so much outrage over this book. What this book does is tell about addiction if it is a "memoir" is beside the point. As someone who is currently struggling with addiction this book has given me hope. I could relate to many of things he said and it gives me hope that I can conquer these things to. Frey is a very brave and nobel man. The people who are belitteling him have no idea what addiction is like and what he is trying to say. I don't care if it is exactly true or not it sends a very powerful message and gives hope to those who are addicted that they can too overcome their addiction

February 16 2006 at 12:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Adaire Faldmo

It would be interesting to see how the demographic of posters here corresponds with their religious and/or party affiliations. Who thinks lying is no big deal and who thinks it's wrong?

February 09 2006 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MsKnowitAll

Re: #17, #18 Sheri
Frey not being persecuted because his work was labeled a memoir.........he's being persecuted becasue OPRAH chose his book for her book club. If he were interviewed on another show and the issue became known, do you think OPRAH would pay any attention...NOT!!

February 04 2006 at 9:49 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Mandy

I honestly feel bad for the guy. I read The Smoking Gun's report and watched the second interview that Oprah had with James Frey, so I realize a huge portion of the book was made up, but I agree with everyone here who pointed out the fact that there will always be human error in the act of remembering the facts of situations, also keeping in mind that he was a drug addict and alcoholic, which might have affected his ability to accurately remember some of the events that took place. People make mistakes and he made a huge one, but it is a book, there will be embellishments, and people suing him have absolutely no reason to. He wrote a great book, it deeply affected you, you found out some of it wasn't true, so now you want to sue him for.... lying? Portraying a false view of his own life? Give me a break. Like he said, he has had to find his own way to cope with the crappy life he has had. It was wrong to lie, but honestly people, let's get over it and move on. It's a book.

February 01 2006 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
margie christian

Yes, the truth matters...but I thought Oprah was a person with a wonderful "Spirit"!! Give me a break the whole show was about her, her, her. On the attack she is no different than the rest of us. Quit preaching, Oprah. It just doesn't work anymore.

February 01 2006 at 11:33 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Christl

Thank you Tucker, BGDC, ali, Jami, Cat Geesey, AMS, Alison Arnold, Lynda Ortiz, Geraldine Fink, and all of you who have restored my faith in the reading and TV-watching public. You ARE still able to put all of this in perspective despite the medias best efforts to dupe, manipulate, and distract you from what should really be news and what should really be discussed in the public sphere. Alison, I agree with you that Oprah should use her status as a public figure to go after the real liars, the ones whose lies get people killed, maimed, widowed, orphaned, homeless... That is what the principle of the thing should be about, Anita. But I am pretty sure that Oprah taking on Bush will never happen; after all they belong to the same elite moneybags club. The best we can hope for is that the team of thesmokinggun.com sits down with Oprah's anniversary CD set, or a year's worth of "O" magazine, and goes through the footage to find where she embellishes, changes the facts, dupes her audience beyond all measure, and, YES, lies outright.

We all create narratives about ourselves, about who we are, who we'd like to be, how we would like others to see us. Some publish those narratives. Some label them memoirs and others fiction (see Elie Wisel's book, Night, which is Oprah's next bookclub selection). Oprah herself creates a big fat pretentious narrative for everyone to see (and pay for) every month; she creates a narrative about herself everyday on her show. Her latest masterpiece was supposed to show her as morally outraged by someone who lied to her readers and viewers. Again this begs the question why does she not seem to be able to muster the same moral outrage when it comes to people like Bush, Cheney, Rove, Rice, et al.? They are also lying to her public, AND they are fleecing them, defrauding them, dismantling their social networks, their schools, their communities; they are undermining the economic foundation and the livelyhoods of millions in this country and around the world. Could she be anymore dishonest, disengenuous, and disconnected from reality.

Yet, despite all the intelligent and insightful comments all of you have made, I am still wondering, what will you do about the really big liars and their lies tomorrow, next week, next month, this fall, in 2008???

January 31 2006 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven

People always want the truth. Sometimes it really doesn't matter if you get a word for word account of what really happened. When someone commits suicide, we NEVER know the whole truth as to why they commited suicide. Try and realize that James might have been trying to convey an emotional experience instead of a step to step story. Take for example, you are re-telling an experience you had to your friends, you want to express that feeling that you had at that moment to your friends, so obviously you are going to exaggerate the story to make in interesting and convey that emotion. Those who have read the book and were moved in any way by it, then the message was accomplished. How can you blame James for you buying a book. He lied a little, GET THE FUCK OVER IT!!! You listened to your friends and the media that this is such a great book. Who's fault is it that you bought the book? James didnt put a gun up to your head and say "buy my fucking book or im gonna kill you." No, obviously he didnt, so take responsibility for your own actions. Your own president has lied to you. I dont see anyone bitching about that. He conveyed a message about his battle with trying to recover from addiction. He accomplished that. He didnt say that I am going to write a word for word account of my life. He wrote a memoir about his struggle with addiction. There are a lot of bad books out there. You never hear people bitching about them. So, James writes a good book and since the readers didn't get a the whole truth about his life then everyone goes crazy. I just think that its a petty little fucking problem. If you have the money to buy the book, then you arent in that much debt that you need it back. Shit, even the Bible is exaggerated. No one EVER asks for their money back on that.

January 30 2006 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply