July 25, 2014

Battlestar Galactica: Black Market

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jan 27th 2006 11:05PM
apolloI really liked how last week's episode started, with Apollo "swimming" 48 hours later than the rest of the episode plays out. Some commenters found it a bit jump-the-shark-like, but I thought it just worked. And then we have this episode, playing the same time-warp game. Come on writers, you don't need to rely on this twice in a row, do you?

This seemed like a filler episode to me. No real advancement toward the overall plot, barely a word spoken of Cylons, no space dogfights. I understand they can't all be like that, which is why I'm saying this was a little "calm after the storm" of last week's episode. We definitely get a good hard look into Apollo's thoughts and emotions, and what may have gone through his head as he neared on death last week.

At first the whole notion of underground, black market dealings just seemed unrealistic to me. Until now, I'm not sure the show did a good job in really giving the viewers a feel for how many people are among the fleet. I think the occasional appearance of the Presidential people-count whiteboard is meant to help give us a sense of how easy it would be to disappear among the ships and people in the fleet, though it's not always that effective.

In this episode, the "boss" of the underground empire seems to have no fear at all for the governing body controlling the fleet. I just had a hard time understanding how he'd so easily hide in plain sight, when it'd be all too easy to take him down and take everything he owns.

By the way, didn't anyone tell the guy that anytime you say "you're not gonna shoot -- you're not like me," you're so going to be shot? Such a cliché.

We do learn a bit about Apollo that we didn't know before; he lost someone on Caprica. Would they go so far as to bring her back somehow, much like the Colonel's wife suddenly appeared? I really hope not, but if they do, it'd better lead to a lot of suspicion.

Current fleet population: 49,595

(Once again, make sure you check AOL for their exclusive interviews and behind-the-scenes commentary)

DeeJaye6

Oh, come on! Did no one else notice how "Miami Vice"-like this ep was? Right down to Edward James Olmos giving the case to the detective!

This was not a good ep. Filler, filler, filler.

Also, it's a sad statement on the writers' sensibilities that they first (way at the beginning) changed the two black characters to different races, and then never had a *main* black character, and then they decide to have the pimpin' black market crime lord be... black!! Wow. Way to go!

Boomer and Tigh were two of the first strong black characters on TV who weren't thugs or hoodlums, or ex-thugs, or ex-hoodlums. Basically, good role models. Then the new series does this feldercarb. Nice.

March 11 2006 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Tim: I didn't know I was in this arguement, but I'll play :) The leader was able to say those things to Apollo because he thought there was no "real" way that the military could respond. Yes, two (large) Battlestars would make mincemeat of his ship... Now, and I'll try to stay out of the real world politics of this, but a battleship could make mincemeat out of a sweatshop in downtown New York, but that would be a bit overkill, no? You could argue that they live in a different "national security" climate, but there's is one where the political and military leaders are being held more responsible for their actions in the public eye.

Ok, I still think Apollo walking in there was a bit of a reach, but its a reach that's been made before (I'm watching the scene play out in my head from another movie, but just can't name it). Participating in the murder of Apollo would be like signing your own death warrant... Adama would not rest until justice (or vengence) reigned, and it wouldn't be difficult to find out who considering the number of people in the room. Furthermore, the episode proved that working for this man was a dangerous occupation, because he murdered and delivered his own hitman to Apollo as a "peace" offering.

And to the final thing?? Yeah, well, I'd be willing to show her where the airlock is, if Helo was looking for it :)

And, just to weigh in, whatever definition people would like to use (and I agree with Tom), I don't think that the show's jumped the shark... I don't think that the show is even put on the ski's yet, to further the analogy to its roots ;)

February 03 2006 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wayne

This all has been said before; this all will be said again....

I can't emphasize enough that the cancer storyline is NOT tied up at all. While she is all of the sudden "all better" none of the consequences of the quick fix have been seen. The cylon baby blood is a solution, but a controversial solution.

(I think dragging the cancer out the whole show would have been aweful, they may still do that yet. I would rather see Roslyn illuminated as the false leader and done rid of that way.)

Roslyn is going to have TONS to deal with soon.

1.) Roslyn is supposed to be the "dying leader" that leads them to earth, but dies first. I guess this does not neccesarily mean that she HAS to be dying the WHOLE time, but I would guess that at least the people from Geminon would not accept THAT interpretation of the scrolls (one of only a partially dying leader that is cured). So we still have to face up to the consequences of her illness and sudden cure.

2.) Obviously if anyone in the civilian fleet knew she was cured by foul cylon blood, i.e. Zarek, they would jump to remove her from office and take over.

3.) The possiblilty of addiction to blood/weakness to blood, or remission of cancer is here.

I personally think that the prez will be more affectionate with cylons now (if she indeed even KNOWS she is a Cylon blood brother). Maybe she will allow Sharon a little trust here and there; let her out of her cell. Seeing as how she has saved the fleet a few times and helo and starbuck a few more times and that her baby just saved HER (prez's) LIFE.

Start gettin' pumped for tomorrow folks!!!!!!!!!

February 02 2006 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Jeff,

Thanks for setting me straight. I thought I clearly said in my comment that I was giving my interpretation of jumping the shark. I guess you are one of those people who are so rigid you don't allow for any kind of personal interpretation. Glad you thought it was false and ill-conceived.

Following my comment, or response, is a DEFINITION from Webster's New Millennium Dictionary of English for you. But even using it or your "Real" definition, I stand by what I said. If its the moment the show goes downhill, then I think in the moment the writers decided to tie up the cancer storyline with such a convenient little solution, the show did start to go downhill for me.

Basically, what I said was, it was when the writers used a stupid storyline to advance the story. I think that's going downhill. I think it shows the show has passed its peak. I think its resorting to stunt programming. Really, Jeff, I don't think my interpretation was that far off. Sorry you didn't think so. Though I don't think this show is anywhere near getting cancelled (I'm not about to stop watching), I don't know why you think "jumping the shark" can only happen once, that you can't have multiple examples of a show's slow demise, but I'll grant you, I will mark the moment the cylon blood cured cancer. I think it can be a specific point, a particular show, or even a whole season, depending on the direction a show is going in. But if you want to be rigid, go ahead and be rigid.

You know, the Moore Podcasts, which I only recently discovered, shed a lot of light on these storylines. Moore originally said that his original intent was to have the President's illness stretch out the entire series, but the cylon-baby-blood storyline came out of a writer's meeting and they all loved it because it brought together these storylines. He even comments on how they were going to draw out the discovery and make it more technical and bring in political hot-button issues like stem cells, but then they thought, nah, too complicated, let's just have the blood cure her. Writers. I have a love/hate relationship with them.

Main Entry: jump the shark
Part of Speech: noun phrase
Definition: the point at which a popular television show has gone past its peak and has resorted to stunt programming, after which it is eventually is canceled
Example: When did Frasier jump the shark?
Etymology: refers to episode on Happy Days after which this occurred

Source: Webster's New Millennium Dictionary of English

February 01 2006 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Dorv: If you would, explain to me why the leader of the black market operation would, with impunity, tell Apollo that he fears him not, and that he could do just about anything he wanted to do? Here we have two mighty battlestars, guarding a small civilian fleet able to kick the cylons ass pretty much always, and now this twobit crook thinks he is the power guy? Now here is when it gets weirder; Apollo, with NO direct backup, waltzes right in the crooks den and then takes a weapon away from a bad guy then ultimately shoots the crook leader point blank. Then what? No repercussions from the henchmen! This is a dangerous gang! Frack no! Also, have you noticed that Baltar can break #6 out of jail from an unfamiler battlestar, Apollo and company can bust the President out of the brig last season, but alas!, the goddess of space has to rot in jail. I think Helo needs to get off his butt and one up those other jailbreaks! Tim.

February 01 2006 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

uh - I'm Emily, not Bec BTW. weird

February 01 2006 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Bec: IMO absolutely, Yes! Rent the DVD with the pilot episode and season one and catch up. I watched the mini series when it aired originally and thought it was great but didn't bother to find out that a weekly series followed. Caught it on a Sci-Fi marathon and got hooked. There are quite a few story lines so starting at the beginning will help you keep it straight. (Please don't judge the series by the last episode - it really was the worst so far.)

February 01 2006 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TommyBaccala

Enough jump the shark stuff, when are they going to get the Port launch/ landing bay operational? They have had enough time to build an entire Battlestar.

February 01 2006 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TommyBaccala

February 01 2006 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bec

I haven't watched any of this show.... but I keep hearing people go on about it. Is it really that good and worth my time is catching up with it?

February 01 2006 at 4:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply