Dr. Phil's next victim? Paula Abdul.

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 27th 2006 11:08AM
Why does Paula Abdul continue to set herself up for mean jokes from Simon Cowell? This time she's going to be featured on a Valentine's Day special edition of Dr. Phil where the two try to figure out why she's been married two times and is once again single. One of the problems, according to the press release for the show, is that Paula has a hard time being with men who haven't reached her level of success. [Insert Simon Cowell jab here]

After she and Dr. Phil have dissected her relationship issues, Paula will choose one man out of ten to go on a blind date. That date will be filmed, of course, and Dr. Phil will also dissect that. Why can't The Smoking Gun do an expose on this man?

LYDIE

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE THIS IS HOLLYWOOD. IT'S ALL AN ACT. EVERY LINE IS PROBABLY SCRIPTED. THERE HAS TO BE "THE MEAN GUY" THE SWEET INNOCENT VICTIM" AND THE USELESS FATSO ON THE END. OR NO ONE WOULD WATCH WHO IS GOING TO BE THE BIGGEST MORON OF THE WEEK. COME ON PEOPLE, YOU REALLY CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS REALITY!

February 20 2006 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley Anderson

I think that it is stupid for anyone to be in Paula's personal life and for everything that she has been has had happen to her she has earned some privacy form the media. I think that Paula and Simon should get over their problems and go out with each other.

February 17 2006 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chandra

hmmm...did paula want to be analyzed by Dr. Phil? Or...was this his brainchild? Why can't he leave people alone. OH YEAH....I FORGOT...he's got a perfect little marriage...with perfect little robin and his perfect little family are here...TO SAVE YOUR DAY! Come on...back off. She's a successful woman who I'm sure lots of men can't handle because she is so successful...and she loves her career. Being in that sort of business is hard on relationships.

February 14 2006 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meg

I like Simon's honesty. He does know the business. My only concern is his constant comments about a person's weight. Such as his comment about him hoping they would have a bigger stage this season. While not overweight myself, i was still mad about that. But i do get tired of all the judges being so harsh on the sixteen and seventeen year olds. They may be young, but some of them have great voices and deserve to go on! I'm soo sick of watching great singers get rejected because of their age while older mediocre singers make it! It drives me insane!

February 07 2006 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

The 2006 contestants are way below talent levels of the past, but as usual Simon is dead on and Paula looks great.....and you the dawg Randy.

February 05 2006 at 3:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BETTT SALVI

I THINK SIMON IS THE ONLY HONEST ONE ONE THE PANEL, OF COURSE HE DOES GO A LITTLE TOO FAR WHEN HE BELITTLES THERE GENDER AND WEIGHT, BUT OTHER THAN THAT I LIKE HIM FOR BEING HONEST WITH THE CONTESTANTS. MOST SHOULD NEVER TRY OUT AND THE BAD CONTESTANT KNOWS THIS, BUT THEY DO GET TO BE ON TV AND BRAG TO THEIRS PEERS. PAULA IS LOVELY AND DOESN'T WANT TO HUNT ANYONES FEELINGS. BUT SHE HELPS BY BEING THERE TO HELPS BALANCE OUT THE REMARKS SIMONS MAKES AND SOFTEN THE STINGING REMARKS. RANDY ALSO HELPS TO SOFTEN THE STINGING REMARDS. THE THREE WORK TOGETHER QUITE NICELY AND THAT IS WHAT MAKES THE SHOW SO GREAT. LOVE IT. THIS YEAR THE CONTESTANTS ARE A LITTLE MUCH AT TIMES, BUT KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

February 04 2006 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeannie

Hollywood is absolutly brutal, far more then anything Simon has said to them. He is being far kinder then Paula by letting them know exactly what Hollywood and the public will think and say. Paula's let them down easy attitude is totally wrong in this situation and gives them wrong information.

February 04 2006 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katherine

I think American Idol is a fabulous show. I like it so much that I wrote a play for my third grade students based on the program. The children absolutely loved it! They never complained about play practice because they got to sing, dance, and be themselves. We had a personable host who played Ryan, a beautiful little girl that favored Paula (complete with chandelier earrings,)a feisty young black boy played "the dog," and yes, we even a handsome young British student cast as Simon. I used some of Simon's comments, and added more. The children learned to accept criticism and know, in this case is was all in fun. I love to look back at the video and remember that special play which was enjoyed by young and old alike. I think American Idol is perfect...don't change a thing. Who knows, I may write part II soon, so keep those original comments coming, Simon.

February 04 2006 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

The American Idol should take it to a new level. There should be auditions held by unknown judges "off the air" that go through the riff raff so that the "losers" in life don't just show up to get 15 seconds of fame. As for the losers, they are the parents of the kids with no talent that try to encourage their kids with compliments about their singing. They set up their kids for the "horrible truth" that Simon and team will dispell on them. The way that this show is now... it encourages "losers" to come down and audition -- this is like a Gong Show -- but the funny thing is that the "winners" on the Gong Show with "real" talent worked hard to get their career to the next level -- look at Cheryl Lynn -- the winners and some good "losers" get so much air time that they never really have to go through the "hard knocks" to get their career off the ground. I guess that's okay if you're a singer but there are other talented people in the world that can't sing. Now, they've done skating, singing, comedy, entrepreneurialship, and now dancing... wonder what's next?

February 04 2006 at 8:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Geri

If they took Simon off of American Idol...Would there be an American Idol??? He is the real reason we all watch the show. And for Paula taking Simon's insults...Yes it is a part of the show and while you all are feeling sorry for her she is smiling all the way to the BANK!

February 03 2006 at 10:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply