December 20, 2014

Matthew Perry, Aaron Sorkin returning to NBC

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 27th 2006 12:47PM
The Hollywood Reporter states that it took a lot of convincing, but Matthew Perry has signed on as the lead in an untitled Aaron Sorkin/Thomas Schlamme drama for NBC. The project was originally called Studio 7, but that title has been scrapped. Also on board are D.L. Hughley and Steven Weber. The show is set behind the scenes of a long-running comedy sketch show (think: SNL). Matthew Perry will play the lead role of Matt Albie, a brilliant comedic writer who gets pushed around by the network. Sorkin reportedly wrote the part specifically for Perry, who did a stint on The West Wing not too long ago.

Whenever Aaron Sorkin is attached to a project, I'm automatically interested. The addition of Matthew Perry is just icing on the cake.

Jeanna

I agree, it is great to see Matt again!! I was a huge "Friend's" fan mostly due to Matthew Perry. If you ever watch any of the makings of Friends, he did a lot of his own scripting, and to me, Chandler was Matt, and his character was very loveable. It will be good to see his sparkling personality on TV again, he brings humor with him, and I know after a long day at work, it's always nice to hear the sarcastic yet halarious one liner's of Matthew Perry's.

September 13 2006 at 8:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Its great to hear that Aaron and Thomas have joined together again. If the script for this new show is half as good as the scripts for The West Wing, I just know we are all in for a treat.
And the casting of Matt Perry is always good, but Aaron and Thomas always know how to pick them. I am wholly confident that Matt Perry is going to blow our socks off...

March 03 2006 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MandieJ

TNT, I'm sorry but I just cannot agree with you there. Ross was my least favorite "Friend" by the end of the show. But in all fairness to Schwimmer, it had less to do with his acting than it did with the way the writers kept using him as the guy to poke fun at. Towards the end of the run, they just made him so "silly" that he was more of a caricature than a real person.
As for Perry, his run on Friends certainly had it's ups and downs (battling a drug addiction if I'm not mistaken) but he was such a lovable character. I have REALLY enjoyed him in the movies I have seen. He stole the show in the movie "The Whole Nine Yards" and I also liked him in "Fools Rush In." When he appeared on West Wing, it was interesting to see him "play it straight" instead of the comic role and I though he did quite well considering he had so little time on the show to provide much character development. I'll give this new show a fair shot...it can't be any worse than a lot of the other shows that are on now.

January 29 2006 at 3:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TNT

Matthew Perry's whole routine is getting old. You could see towards the last couple of seasons of Friends. He wasn't getting any funnier as the show ended. Give David Schwimmer a chance. He has always been the funniest person on that show.

January 27 2006 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicki

I read the script to the pilot (you never know, but I really don't think it was fake) and was really not impressed.

January 27 2006 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

This is fantastic!!!!! I've been following the press for this show and it is going to be great! I'm thrilled that Perry is onboard.

January 27 2006 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply