December 20, 2014

NFL Network inks deal to air games next season

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jan 28th 2006 4:38PM

NFL NetworkStarting next season, football fans across the country can prepare to be annoyed when the game they want to see isn't on. Especially if they live outside the team's home market.

The NFL Network has now signed on to air eight regular season games for the 2006-2007 NFL Season, including a Thanksgiving evening game. The games will still be shown on their local in-market stations, but don't expect to see it if you live on the other side of the country, and it was originally set to be nationally televised as most Saturday NFL games are. That is, unless... perhaps you might now be willing to subscribe to the NFL Network? Owned and operated by the league, they're hoping that's exactly what will happen. So it's expected that the current number of around 40 million subscribers will grow.

This makes sense, at least. I mean, if the NFL owns the station then why wouldn't they try and air some of the games?

[via ESPN]

Jason Zaleski

Judy Schwartz.... contact me via email and I will give you a contact at Charter that would love to hear your concern. I have recently been in contact with the Spokesperson and the EVP of Programming and am making some progress. I would like to share that information with you. mudhenfootball@yahoo.com

February 21 2006 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I think its horrible the Charter discontinued NFL Network. Do they just not care about their subscribers who are football fans? I love ESPN and all of those channels but sometimes i don't want to hear about tennis and hockey and baseball and basketball and i just want to know whats going on in football. If there is anyway to tell charter how we angry subscribers feel please post something and i will do my part! lets all just spread the word and have everybody start complaining! Thanks!

February 18 2006 at 3:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judy schwartz

I am totally disgusted with the fact that Charter Cable has discontinued the NFL Network. My husband and I watched it everyday throughout the year. I hope that Charter smartens up. Does anyone know of any website for angry Charter customers to voice their complaints. I have called Charter to complain, but get nowhere. I even get different reasons for them dropping the NFL Network. Thanks for letting me vent.

February 01 2006 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judy schwartz

February 01 2006 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judy schwartz

February 01 2006 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dominic a

Directv has the nfl network. ch 212

January 30 2006 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cold Chilli

Ferley, These games won't be on DirecTV.
They've added a 3rd game to Thanksgiving, and it will only be on NFL Channel and local markets.

January 30 2006 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dominic a

Here is the answer to all of the problems. Every football fan in the U.S should just join Directv and Siruis radio. All of your wishes will come true.

January 30 2006 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kilby

As big of a football fan as I am, I'm almost ready to stop watching the games. Between this and the handling of their video game license, I'm getting really annoyed at the NFL. What makes this worse is that my cable company, Charter, got into a spat with the NFL and no longer carries the NFL Network (the NFL wanted it to be part of the largest tier of digital channels, the Family & Information tier, instead of where it belongs in the Sports tier with ESPN Classic, ESPN News, and all the FSN channels... Charter didn't budge and the NFL pulled support).

January 28 2006 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

Doesn't make sense to me. It makes their content more exclusive, which is what hurt boxing. Plus the regular stations that pay for the games are the reason it is popular and where its major revenue source comes from.

Annoying...