October 25, 2014

Surface: Episode 14

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 30th 2006 9:29PM

You know how sometimes they'll advertise an episode of a TV show as the "episode you must see" or "the episode that changes everything?" Usually it's just hype or wishful thinking. They didn't advertise episode 14 of Surface as an episode that changes everything or a must see. But they could have. Because, well, this is the episode that changes everything.

In short? Laura and Rich kidnap Davis Lee, the monsters are starting to rise from the water, Miles almost kills Savannah's boyfriend, Laura's ex rats her out to authorities, Rich infiltrates a secret headquarters, and the townspeople come after Miles.

Like I said, the episode that changes everything.

Laura and Rich tie up Davis and throw him in the trunk and take him to a hotel to question him. Seems that he was surprised by the video too. Is he a clone? After Rich wants to shoot him, Laura convinces him not to. But she's freaked out by the way he's acting, so she leaves to go back to her son. When she gets to the school, her ex said he doesn't believe her story and calls the authorities, so she can get "help." Davis Lee is one of them.

Savannah's boyfriend attacks Miles, and Miles retaliates by grabbing his head and frying him. He runs home, but the police and the townspeople gather outside his house and want him to come out. They break inside and drag him out, but the police interrupt to tell the town that a big storm is coming, and they let Miles go and everyone scatters.

Meanwhile, Davis has a change of heart. He knows that it doesn't matter if Laura is dead or alive, "the cat's out of the bag," so he fires a shot so the others think that he has killed her. He tells her to run.

Rich makes his way to the company, where he knocks out a guard and makes his way in. There are thousands of different animals in cryogenic chambers, and various subway trains leading...somewhere. He calls Laura and tells her, but is then discovered and taken by guards.

There was an intensity to this episode. You can feel things changing, so much that you almost get a knot in your stomach, because you're wondering where the hell this is all leading.  And it was almost like a two-parter, with next week's season finale as the second part. And holy crap, the scenes from next week...a killer tsunami destroying cities? That giant monster on the loose? And was that Laura, Rich, and Miles I saw together?

I could say that this is getting good, but it's been great all season. And it looks like one helluva season finale (and yes, they are callling it the "season" finale now. Let's hope that's a good sign.)

Kaycy

I have really been enjoying watching the series on Hulu recently. I
do remember the series coming out and seeing the first couple
episodes. The one major problem I am having though is why can't I
find episodes 8, 11, and 14???? I can go ahead and watch the finale
but I would like to at least find episode 14 before continuing. It
is like those 3 episodes don't exist out in the world and that is
REALLY surprising for the internet!

November 12 2009 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kaycy's comment
Kaycy

I'm sorry for the double post. I am new to this site and now I don't know how to delete the second post.

November 12 2009 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kaycy

I have really been enjoying watching the series on Hulu recently. I do remember the series coming out and seeing the first couple episodes. The one major problem I am having though is why can't I find episodes 8, 11, and 14???? I can go ahead and watch the finale but I would like to at least find episode 14 before continuing. It is like those 3 episodes don't exist out in the world and that is REALLY surprising for the internet!

November 12 2009 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
israel gonzalez

when surface 2 coming out i going cray tell me when ps i will cry

January 15 2009 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhett

This show is incredible. Just incredible! It's no wonder they used Wilmington NC as "ground zero" for the tsunami: that's where I'm told the series is filmed. Just like "Matlock" was filmed there.....

As for why the creatures 'caused' the quake that resulted in this catastrophic tsunami, how many of us noticed that it occured JUST AS MILES WAS BEING BEATEN UP by that bully in his school - and just like E.T. and Elliot were somehow "linked," apparently this is occuring in Miles as well - with the creature he's named "Nim[rod]." That's interesting to consider. And now, we find that the passenger rail station shown inside that huge LAB actually goes DOWN INSIDE THE EARTH somewhere..... Ooooooooo! (There aren't any passenger rail lines into real-life Wilmington; only freight. At least for now; but that's another story.) From a writer's perspective, it seemed rather obvious that the rail system shown in the facility would play some major role in the development of the overall series. HOWEVER, now with what appears to be the ENTIRE eastern seaboard of the United States simply DESTROYED, we're going to be on pins & needles until the Fall 2006 television season starts again - for Episode 16 and beyond. DARNIT, just when it was getting GOOD.....!

February 06 2006 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

About Lee and Laura's "The cat is out of the bag" comments: It wasn't coincidence, Lee was making a reference to what she said earlier.

February 06 2006 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rico

On a side note: Any ideas as to who the "new" Dr. Kressler is? You guys think it's someone we've met already, or someone new?

I think it's either the Russian doctor who got killed halfway through the season, or his assistant. But it's probably going to be a midget or something.

February 01 2006 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

I love this show, but it was really hokey when both Laura and Davis used the exact same expression: "The cat is out of the bag."

That was so dumb! What are the chances that they would say the exact same thing in different scenes!

C'mon! This show is better than that!

R6: Yes. The creatures caused the underwater earthquake and subsequent tsunami. The question is why did they do it and was it intentional.

Maybe the mad scientist, Kressler, wants to exterminate humans, and play god.

February 01 2006 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chadly

I wouldnt' go so far as to say it's the WORST show on TV, but it's certainly not as good as it once was. I commented on this after last week's episode, but it didn't get any better this week. After weeks and weeks of build up and some genuinely cool stuff, the show started getting really stupid and predictable about 3 weeks ago. I feel like I'm watching a Sci-Fi channel original movie every week.

I'm hoping the finale is better. I've been with it this long, I'll stick around till the end. But HOLY GEEZE can they PLEASE get some better writers. It feels like they changed their entire production stalf half-way through the season.

February 01 2006 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TJ

Adam.
Which show(s) do you like?

January 31 2006 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Surface is the BEST show on NBS on Monday nights. If NBC were smart, they'd have Surface back for a second, thirf and etc. seasons because this show has great characters, great plots and outstanding direction. this show is 10 times better than ABCs Invasion by far. the creatures engineered? thats cool.
the growing intensity in rich is great and lauras personality is smart, cunning and convicing. and if im not mistaken was Nim talking to Miles a few episodes ago....saying Miles' name? Season 2 will be better and the writers need to answer more ?s for Surface to be GREATER.

January 31 2006 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply