October 22, 2014

Craig Ferguson pays tribute to his dad

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 31st 2006 2:19PM
Craig Ferguson pays tribute to his
fatherDid anyone see The Late Late Show last night? All I have to say about it is... wow. Craig Ferguson used the show to pay tribute to his father, Robert Ferguson, who died on Sunday. Dressed in a black suit and tie, Craig opened the show with a monologue that was moving, emotional, and funny all at the same time. In it, he gave the audience memories of his rough-and-tumble dad, who worked in the Post Office back in Craig's native Scotland, talking about his relationship with him and how his passing has affected him. From time to time, Ferguson had to catch himself as he reminisced; he got especially emotional when he described an affectionate gesture his dad gave on his deathbed, one that he hadn't done since Craig was a kid. It was moving, fascinating television.

Then Craig had Dr. Drew Pinsky on to talk about the loss of a parent and pay further tribute. The interview -- what I saw of it, since it was getting late -- was not at all hokey or inappropriate; Dr. Drew was able to get Craig to open up a little more and was able to relate his emotions to ones that everyone feels when they lose a loved one. Again, it was fascinating to watch.

But I didn't see who was on after Dr. Drew. Can anyone who watched it let me know what happened after that?

Video of the monologue, by the way, is at the CBS web site.

Christy

Craig's monologue is here: http://www.lfcolo.com/CraigFerguson/Monologues.htm

Just click on Jan 30, 2006.

June 16 2006 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jody G.

Does anyone know how I can view the episode where Craig pays tribute to his father, or at least read a transcript?

Thanks.

April 26 2006 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frances Gordon Howard

I didn't find Craig Ferguson until a few weeks ago. WOW! What a talent! Letterman has gotten old and grumpy. I married old and grumpy, don't need more on tv. Let us see Ferguson at a decent hour, HE'S FUNNY. ...Name with held for obvious reasons

April 15 2006 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ally

Just a few words What a man that Craig Ferguson is! Not many celebs open up like that.I really feel he really loves his faithful fans alot that he opens up like that. Bravo Craigy We all love you!:)

April 01 2006 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hillary

Craig Ferguson has more class under his little finger than anyone since Johnny Carson. I hope that Leno grabs him if Dave Letterman doesn't as the next replacement AND MAKE IT SOON! I tape his show every night, just in case.... He's not afraid of admitting his shortcomings and is so humble about his fantastic talent that he personifies everything I revere in humankind. Too bad I'm 69 because I totally adore this wonderfully, handsome, witty, intelligent, well-read, travelled person and would happily spend the end of my days just watching him perform. I've "been there, done that" after living in L.A. for 25 years and now Honolulu for another 25 (and it doesn't hurt to have an ancestry of English/Scotch-Irish!)

Craig, if you ever read all these accolades, you deserve the best! Remember the lines to an old tune "...don't change a hair for me, not if you care for me"? -- well, keep on keepin' on and may we be blessed with your talent for years to come!

February 25 2006 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

As I have previously stated. Craig Fergusons program in tribute to his Dad was touching. I have lost my Dad and my Mom is in poor health. My Daughter is in the Military. To hear a stranger unravel emotional family treads so wonderfully was the finest program Ive witnessed on a medium that seldom rises above what it is. Thank you.

February 20 2006 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

Best gift of self ever shared on this usually shallow medium. Thank you.

February 19 2006 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn

Craig's tribute to his father was wonderful, but I only got to see the first half of the show. My tape went black (appropriately, I guess) for the second half and I am wondering how I could see it. Is there anyone out there in LA from whom I could get a copy? My guess is that this show won't repeat. It certainly should, but Craig may not want it to. Who knows. If you can help, please email me at keeko35@hotmail.com. THANK YOU.

February 10 2006 at 4:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TG

The Late Late Show with "TV's Craig Ferguson" has become required viewing for me. Since I am the only night owl I know, there was no one to call to suggest that they turn on the TV right away to hear the tribute to his father last week. I've read the other comments in this space, and they've captured the feeling that I had of one true spontaneous and heartfelt TV moment that was so beautifully sad, sweet and funny all at the same time. I couldn't get over Ferguson's bravery and sincerity to devote the entire show to something so personal without seeming to exploit the event for anything more than it was--the acknowledgement of a great figure in his life whom we all came to know for that one marvelous, shining hour of broadcast TV. It was a video hug for the viewers, and we thank you for sharing, Craig.

February 07 2006 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I'm a convert from the funny, but sometimes too silly Conan Show... Craig just has such a refreshing personality. He's only a year older than me and I simply relate to him and have been hooked as my TIVO gobbles up each show for me. The monologue about his father did make me cry. I lost my grandmother, who was my mom to me and although it has been half a year, I still feel the void. When Craig started talking about why he was gone, I was sobbing like a 4-year-old that scraped his knee. Bravo Craig, I'm a real fan. Living only 2 miles from your studio, I will be seeing some of your shows in the audience.

February 03 2006 at 4:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply