August 23, 2014

The Five: HGTV shows I'm addicted to

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 31st 2006 10:37AM
5. Design on a Dime. I've lost track of how many hosts and designers they've had on this show, but it's still entertaining. I get inspired by their do-it-yourself projects, even though I know I do not and never will have any crafty skills. The crew tends to successfully pull off a $1,000 makeover that seems within reach, for those of you with actual skills.

4. Curb Appeal. Being a homeowner, I find inspiration in this show. It's amazing what some planters and a little landscaping will do to improve the look of a home. I also like that they have the homeowners pitch in to do most of the work, which makes the show more accessible.

3. Extreme Homes. This show is just plain fascinating. It shows off the wild creativity in people across the world and how they make their homes unique. We're not just talking about faux finishes, people! These homes are underground, 70 feet in the air, and are made out of everything from dirt to boats.

2. Divine Design. Candice Olson is such a goofy host that I just adore this show for all the silly little sketches she does with her design crew. She seems like a witty lady with a (sometimes) wild sense of style. When she decorates a room, she really decorates a room. I can't even imagine how much her redesigns cost, but I'm sure it's staggering.

1. House Hunters.  What is it about this show? I don't learn anything about buying a home or fixing a home. No tips whatsoever! I just go and look inside homes with people. This program used to be really uncomfortable to watch because it primarily featured "normal" people who are not television-friendly. However, I think there's a new producer at the helm because the people on the show seem to have more personality. Also, they've stopped doing the fake call from the real estate agent to say whether the people got the house they bid on.

gmcajun

My wife is addicted to HGTV and it is destroying our marriage of 40 years. She has gained 40 lbs sitting and eating and watching this program 10 plus hours a day.
I wish and pray this channel goes off the air or I will be looking for a new companion.

September 03 2007 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Missy

I LOVE HGTV! Now that I have DVR on my cable there are very few times that I just sit down and watch unrecorded TV but when I do I ALWAYS check HGTV to see what is on.

House Hunters and Divine Design are also two of my favs. However, I must admit that I think I like them for weird reasons. Being a resident of the East Coast, it is amazing to me what people on the West Coast will call a yard! I also can not get over the weird corner windows in some California homes where there are 2 windows right next to each other in the corner of a room. It is like the West Coast is on another planet or something. Then, my strange reason for liking Divine Design, my addiction to Canadian accents. They have some good ones. And do not get me started on Chico!

I recently started watching the new House Hunters International addition and that just opens up the possiblities for combining strange living quarters with accents all in one show! Count me in!

February 15 2006 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bo Link

It looks like you and my wife should get together for a HGTV marathon. She's contantly watching these shows. Unfortunately I find them ber annoying. I hate how Real Estate Challenge, I mean House Hunters, tries to make it all suspenseful once the couples put in an offer on one of the houses. It's not like they aren't going to get the house. That's what the whole show's about! At least Suzanne Whang is kind of hot.

January 31 2006 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison

Designed to Sell is a Season Pass for me. I just love Clive and Lisa!

January 31 2006 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Living in Manhattan, I love SMALL SPACE, BIG STYLE (not that I could ever pull off any of those apartments).

January 31 2006 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evadne

HGTV is like crack to me.

House Hunters is my favorite, too (um, you'd never guess it from the show, but Suzanne Whang is kind of hilarious--check out her web site, www.suzannewhang.com). My others are Mission: Organization, Designed to Sell, Cash in the Attic, and Kitchen Trends.

I rent, it'll be years before I'll be able to buy or sell anything, I don't own anything of value (I don't even have an attic...), and the day I get granite countertops in my kitchen will be the day I die, having achieved all of my life goals. Yet I can't stop watching this channel.

January 31 2006 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tripp

House Hunters is a show I LOVE. To me, I could care less about the people. I just like to look through a home.

Though the people they have chosen have improved and I didn't care for the fake phone call from the real estate agent either, I am upset they cut back on the time they give us to tour the homes by doing the "Which home did they choose" and recapping all the homes features.

January 31 2006 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martha Fischer

What about Designer Finals? I can't get enough of that sucker - Tivo is practically gagging on all the episodes I've got backed up.

January 31 2006 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaxbulls

Redesign is by far my favorite...Design on a Dime has become incredibly annoying to me. I liked Redesign because you can take his ideas and tone it down to fit into your budget but Design on a Dime always looks cheap to begin with.

January 31 2006 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Simmons

I like "Divine Design" because Candice Olsen does an incredible job of re-decorating people's homes and I also have an affinity for "House Hunters."

I just wish they'd bring my favorite other 2 shows--(1) "At The Auction" and (2) "Collectible Treasures."

I love the theme song for "Collectible Treasures."

January 31 2006 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply