November 1, 2014

The lawsuits fly against Frey

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 31st 2006 3:37PM
After Oprah tore James Frey apart on her show last week, I was left to wonder what would be next for the author.

I should've known.

A Manhattan social worker was the first to file a lawsuit against Random House, the publisher of Frey's fictitious memoir about overcoming drug and alcohol addiction. The plaintiff, Jennifer Cohn, said she recommended Frey's book to a number of clients who were struggling with the same addiction. Another New York reader filed a class action lawsuit, asking for her $14.95 back. There are also lawsuits in state and federal courts in Chicago, Los Angeles, and Seattle.

So...what's worse? Ripping apart the author on nationwide television or suing an author because his memoir is packed with lies?

The Girl

I have the perfect solution! A million little countersuits! Don't worry - it's all outlined here: http://akathegirl.blogspot.com/

February 06 2006 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

It seems that if you enjoyed the book, then you got your moeny's worth. Why should it matter if it's "true" or not? It's not like he's lying about how to dismantle bombs or something.

February 02 2006 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ryanknapper

Memoirs are supposed to be true; novels are not. It that isn't the case then everyone should go buy my upcoming memoir which gives the details of my torrid affair with Salma Hayek and how together we (mostly me) defended the world from food poisoning by distracting the evil-doers with my god-like stamina. Completely True*

*Book does not actually contain truth.

February 01 2006 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lucky Peter

You gotta be kidding me:

Leave the guy alone-of all the offenses in the world this guy writes a book and plays with the truth a little-please. I'm sure his book helped a lot more people than it hurt. Who could even think of sueing for the 14.95-it's a crock.

February 01 2006 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SHARON KESKA

PEOPLE WITH ADDICTIONS HAVE A REALLY HARD TIME STAYING CLEAN. THEY HAVE VERY LITTLE SELF ESTEEM AS IT IS AND THIS GUY IS TRYING HIS BEST..TO DEGRADE HIM WILL PROBALY LEAD HIM BACK INTO DRUG USE LEAVE THE GUY ALONE. HE HAS COME ALONG WAY...GOD CAN JUDGE NOT YOU...

February 01 2006 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Re: Mark Allen - Saying he is the Milli Vanilli of literature isn't right. They didn't sing their songs, just stood up there and danced like idiots. James Frey wrote this book, fiction or not, it doesn't change the fact that people enjoyed reading the book that HE wrote.

February 01 2006 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I'd say if the book was published as a fiction novel but is loosely based on real events, then refunds aren't going to be forthcoming. To be labeled as fiction implies that the sum of the novel is untrue. Rather like how many people get their underwear in a wad over Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code- which is based upon speculation that ties together certain elements- but is not true.

However, if the book was published as nonfiction, that implies that the events contained are true to the best of verification. James Frey has gone on television and said his book is not true to real events. Therefore, the book is not nonfiction. It is fiction and people who bought the book under that premise are entitled to their money back.

February 01 2006 at 2:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Let's talk about being "duped" Oprah. I seem to recall a promo for Oprah's show last year where she stated, "It's true. Stedman and I have a daughter." Turns out their "daughter" was their dog. How many of us tuned in waiting to hear the hidden truth, only to be "duped" by this deceitful publicity stunt? She roped plenty of us in with that promo. Perhaps Queen Oprah should remove the log from her own eye, before she begins confronting the speck in Frey's eye.

February 01 2006 at 1:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Allen

Can we put this loser's name to rest now? James Frey is the Milli Vanilli of literature, and his dismal future is already assured. If I never hear of him again, it will be too soon.

January 31 2006 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beth

Frey had the flesh ripped off his bones on national television, that's bad enough in my book. I rather enjoyed watching him squirm. If I dropped a grand for something, then found out it was fake, I would want my money back. $14.95? Heck, I spend more on lattes every month!

January 31 2006 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply