April 18, 2014

Project Runway: Garden Party Competition

by Lacy Hall, posted Feb 2nd 2006 10:45AM
nickplantI didn't think anything could outshine an episode of dresses made of plants. And nothing can...except maybe Santino's Tim impression. I love the Tim impression! It's the greatest thing about Santino. They seriously should have featured it on the show way back in week one. If they would have, I probably wouldn't have built up this hatred towards Santino. Well, I don't hate him...it's just so hard to completely love him. He is Santino. But the Tim impression was absolutely marvelous, and I love the fact that the extended version featured a fictionalized love quarrel between Tim and Andrae at the Red Lobster. Not enough gay fashion fights happen at the Red Lobster, but they should!

For this week's competition, the designers were given a $100 and a hour in the Flower District to buy enough plants to design a dress composed of flowers and plants. Weird. They never really explained why this is a challenge, but it was a challenge last year and it's a reality show on Bravo, so just go with it. But there was a special twist this week (like always). The person who won this week's challenge would be given immunity on next week's challenge. I sooooooo wanted Santino to win this one. Not because I wanted him to win persay, but because he promised that with immunity he would go buck wild on his design next week. A total FU to the judging panel. It would have been awesome, but alas...he didn't win.

Daniel won! And he did deserve it. That makes win #4 for Daniel. Who knew that he was going to be such a designing titan? Not me. I figured he would be "out" by week 3. Don't get me wrong, I knew he could design, but I didn't peg him going this far. Speaking of "outing," Daniel spoke about how he just came out to his parents a year ago. Apparently, he was raised in a very religious home and coming out was a big obstacle for him. Sigh. He's gay. I suspected it, but secretly hoped he wasn't. No make-out session for me and Daniel, but he can design me a garden party dress. His design was mostly made out of ferns and featured a purple orchid top, with a lattice mid-section. I thought it was spectacular.

Chloe was a close second with this simple, but time consuming number. She took holly leaves and glued them on one-by-one. She almost didn't finish. I actually didn't really like this dress too much and I hated the swimming cap, but I understand why she was a runner-up. That did take a lot of work and patience. About half-way through the show, I thought it was going to be Chloe who was going to be out.

But it was Andrae who got the boot this week with this moss-covered dress. I actually thought his dress was sorta cute. Kors said it looked like a door mat. It was basic (and door mat-ish), but I think that was the point. In fact, I think that all the designs this week were really good and creative. We are really getting down to some talent here. And it sorta pissed me off that the judges were sooooooo upset that the designers didn't use more flowers. First off, they only had a $100, so they obviously can't afford to buy bushels of roses. Hell, they barely could afford enough leaves to make a dress (i.e. Nick). Secondly, flowers wilt and fall off. What were the judges expecting? Adam and Eve only had leaves to cover themselves and we see how well that worked. I think the designers did a marvelous job. All of them.

karaplantNick was probably my least favorite. I can't believe I'm saying that, but it's true. He made a banana leave bustier, and it looked quite nice, but the dress had sort of a Judy Jetson look that was unflattering. But still, I thought it was hot! The judges, of course, thought it was vulgar because it was so short. But, once again, the only reason it was so short was because he didn't have enough leaves to make a longer skirt. I think that's the fault of the producers who expect miracles with $100-worth of plants, not the designers who really came up with some great stuff this week.

Kara's dress was also very nice. I thought it looked like crap on the mannequin, but it looked magical on the runway. She created a bodice out of raffia, dried flowers, and moss that looked amazing. Something out of a Cindy Lauper video, circa 1985. And I don't know when she made that moss skirt! Every time they showed her mannequin, it was totally naked from the waist down, but on the runway, it was complete. Ahhhh, the magic of television.

Even Santino's design was great. I thought the off-the-shoulder number was stunning. The judges (minus Heidi) didn't like how shiny is leaves were (were they happy with anything this week?), but I thought it looked good. I do think that it would have looked better  with some flowers around the bottom of the skirt, but once again....money, money, money. Roses don't grow on trees. Well...they sorta do. But not in Manhattan.

Sherryl G.

P. S. I love Tim, too!!

February 03 2006 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sherryl G.

I loved Kara's dress, but I think she didn't win because she is clearly the least talented of the designers who remain, and the judges know that. I loved Daniel's dress. I would have rather seen Nick go than Andrae. I thought it was going to be Daniel, Chloe and Andrae, now I think it will be Daniel, Chloe and Nick. I think Santino is smart, but he's has too much wildness to his stuff. It's not usable.

I love this show!!!

February 03 2006 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacy Hall

Good point about Heidi's dress, ZOOphile, I forgot to mention that. That dress was absolutely hideous and it looked like a diaper. I guess once she has her baby, she can just use that dress in case of baby poopy emergencies.

February 03 2006 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
orimental

This isn't the first time that he was caught by Tim. Santino was doing an impression of Tim a few eps back and you can see the convo the two had about it as part of the Extra Videos online.

Kara should have one. Nick should have been out. Santino's creation kind of made me think of some sort of forest nymph or something. Check out America's Next Top Model's Cycle 6 page because their whole theme is based around faeries. Chloe was alirght, but it just didn't seem finished to me. Daniel's dress wasn't terrible, but it wasn't too good either. Poor Andrae. At least he and Tim will always have Red Lobster.

Also to point out, if any of you happened upon the first episode of Project Catwalk (UK Version hosted by Liz Hurley), you would have seen them take on a similar challenge. Designers had to do all of their shopping at a house & garden center (a la The Home Depot/Lowe's). There was actually a designer who used patches of sod to construct a skirt.

February 02 2006 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J. Conner

Nina Garcia is not so bad but I think Michael Kors is a real vulgar jerk and he should be OUT. Did he design Heidi Klum's dress? The white "number" - looked like pinned-together cloth diapers. The back was unbelievably ugly - could it have been the King of Arrogance, the aforementioned MK? Heidi needs to say Auf Wiedersehen to him. I thought the Badgley(sic?)/Mischka team was refreshing.

February 02 2006 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J. Conner

February 02 2006 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annie W.

I absolutely cracked up over Santino's Tim impression. I love the one they have online even more...

Santino
as Tim singing Nine Inch Nails' 'Closer'. Priceless.

And I'm glad Daniel is winning so many things. Go Team Vosovic!

February 02 2006 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bex

Did you know that you can get 90 large single-stem carnations for $65 in New York? I found that out the hard way. The vendors must not have been allowed to give the designers discounts, that's my guess. And what was the big deal over Daniel's dress? So boring. Kara's was the best by far. She paid such wonderful attention to detail on every part of her dress. I wish that the outfits translated better to TV. *sigh* I don't think that the judges really know what they're looking for. Nina wanted more color in the dresses and then she didn't like Santino's which used the most color. Ugh, I can't stand her. I'm actually surprised that Andrae lasted this long. His dress, although really cute in an Audrey Hepburn kind of way, was ill-fitting and looked bad on the runway. I give you, Andrae, my best wide-eyed salute!

February 02 2006 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evadne

(Hope this doesn't come through twice; having some trouble.) In the podcast, Tim sounded annoyed with the judges for being so hard on them for not using flowers they couldn't afford anyway. He thought that while Daniel's dress was good, it clearly won because he'd used flowers so prominently (Tim's take on Santino's impressions of him is kind of hilarious--he was trying really hard to sound like he was cool with it, but he was clearly pretty bewildered by it. C'mon, Tim, I love you, but it was -hilarious.- "Make it work, Andrae." Red Lobster. Jesus, I'm still laughing). I liked Santino's dress, and I thought it was pretty unfair for them to rail on him for the leaves looking shiny or the skirt looking sculptural when the whole challenge was a gimmick anyway. I thought all of them, with the exception of Andrae (and who was with me in thinking that Andrae was a dead duck as soon as he told the other guys in the suite that he didn't think any of the guys would be going home?), did their best work in weeks.

February 02 2006 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evadne

I think it might have been $150, but the principle is the same--actually, in the podcast, Tim sounded annoyed with the judges for being so hard on them for not using flowers they couldn't afford anyway. He thought that while Daniel's dress was good, it clearly won because he'd used flowers so prominently (Tim's take on Santino's impressions of him is kind of hilarious--he was trying really hard to sound like he was cool with it, but he was clearly pretty bewildered by it. C'mon, Tim, I love you, but it was -hilarious.- "Make it work, Andrae." Red Lobster. Jesus, I'm still laughing). I liked Santino's dress, and I thought it was pretty unfair for them to rail on him for the leaves looking shiny or the skirt looking sculptural when the whole challenge was a gimmick anyway. I thought all of them, with the exception of Andrae (and who was with me in thinking that Andrae was a dead duck as soon as he told the other guys in the suite that he didn't think any of the guys would be going home?), did their best work in weeks.

February 02 2006 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply