Why is American Idol sending bad singers to Hollywood?

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 2nd 2006 8:47AM
ashley jackson american idolHas anybody else noticed this? Paula, Randy and Simon keep sending bad singers on to Hollywood. Is the talent pool really that shallow this season?

Last night they passed Ashley Jackson on to Hollywood. You may recall that Ashley was the "fit model". She sang Something to Talk About and it really wasn't enjoyable at all. When Paula asked Ashley to sing with her mouth closed (it was a skill she listed on her bio), she told the girl, "things aren't going your way right now." After she sang the Star Spangled Banner, with full enunciation even though her mouth was closed, all three judges passed her to Hollywood. Now, we know that a lot is edited out of the auditions, but I want to know what happened between that first, awful song and her rendition of the national anthem to make the judges pass her to the next round.

I've noticed they've passed other bad singers along in previous episodes this season. I'm wondering if American Idol producers think that we like the bad singers so much that they want to have some around in Hollywood to humiliate? 'Cuz I'm, like, tired of the bad auditions.

Starr Davis

I think the worst part of AI so far, has to be Rhonetta...the woman who had that long blond wig on, tight clothes and a FILTHY mouth to make her look and sound like a FOOL. Who or why would anyone want to go on national tv and degrade themselves like that? It also makes this a show that some parents must forbid their kids from watching. A complete waste of viewing time.

February 04 2006 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Ruby

What did you expect?

February 02 2006 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

I love good singing. Wish they would include better auditions, not soooo much of the awful. The fact that Simon insults these people on national TV, not only about their singing but their appearance is not enjoyable to watch. I feel sorry for some of them. I didn't realize that they got chosen to appear before the three judges. That's real strange that some of them make it through the first cut, when they obviously cannot sing.

February 02 2006 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheMovieGoer

Like Simon says, its not just about singing talent.

The "fit model" got more points for her looks.

The ugly ones must sing perfect.

Once they get to Hollywood, they try to work out their flaws and come back with balanced "star material".

February 02 2006 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Canton

Jaime, I'm thinking that these mothers and grandmothers you speak of are as deluded as the children and grandchildren they encourage. Musical talent seems to be, in part, genetic, and if a parent is as tone deaf the child, it's easy to see where that parent might wrongly think that child is good at singing. And, of course, a good parent would encourage a child to pursue his or her perceived talent. Right?

Not excusing the total idiots, here, but there is a basis for some of this delusion.

February 02 2006 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike C

I think part of the reason that they don't show all of the good singers is that they can't get the rights for the songs that they audition with. There really seemed to be a shortage of the good singers time on TV though.
Some of the bad singers are funny, others are just plain hideous.

February 02 2006 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaime

What is wrong with most of these people? I think the mothers and grandmothers of America need to STOP telling their hopeful "idols" that they are so darn talented. Tell them the frickin truth, that they suck!!! That saves them the embarassment, and saves the rest of us the headaches!

February 02 2006 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anna

Stone,
I know the producers intentionally send bad talent to the judges so they can humiliate them. My problem is that, at least this year, the judges seem to be advancing that bad talent on to Hollywood!

February 02 2006 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maddr

People....Rememeber the goal of AI is not to find a true american idol, it's goal is to generate high ratings, thus higher revenue! And beautiful women with nice figures never hurt ratings.

February 02 2006 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug

My wife and I only started watching AI regularly last season... we're stunned that some of the rejects who must have watched the show at some point, but still act oblivious to the level of talent required to move on verses the level that's ripped to shreds. And if they're that delusional, then I don't mind blunt or rude remarks from the judges. Maybe they'll wake up and find something they're actually good at and become successful.

February 02 2006 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply