April 15, 2014

Christian group targets Will and Grace

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 3rd 2006 9:42AM
will and grace christianThese people are starting to make Christians look like they don't have a sense of humor. The same group that yelled and screamed about The Book of Daniel's pill-popping priest who conversed with Jesus is now hollering about Will and Grace. It's not the homosexual characters on the show that they're taking issue with, or the constant feeling-up of characters, or the references to alcoholism and pill-popping. They're all upset over the plans for a Britney Spears cameo in which she plays a Christian chef. They don't like that her character has a cooking segment called Cruci-fixins. The group, called The American Family Association, accuses NBC of mocking Christ's crucifixion and says the network will "further denegrate Christianity" by airing the episode the night before Good Friday. On its website, this group is urging NBC affiliates to boycott the episode, just like it got some affiliates to do for Daniel. NBC has already started back-peddling, saying that the episode isn't even written yet so the name of the cooking segment isn't exactly set in stone.

God, I'd love to see NBC stick to its guns and stay with Cruci-fixins. That's funny, y'all. Plus, it'll probably help the floundering show's ratings as it ends its run on NBC this spring.

Tom

Ummm...what is so "disrespectful" about the title? It is a JOKE ~ period (it's not like they are saying "we are making Jesus bread and wine from his body and blood"). If you are offended, don't watch the show. But don't push your morals and ethics on others saying that we can't. Christians may make up the US, but they sure as heck don't own it. As for making fun of other religious groups, it happens constantly on Will and Grace as well as other shows. If thy TV show offendth thee, turn it off. Deal with it or go watch TBN.

April 13 2006 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bec

although I respect all religions I still don't agree with them and I have to say I agree with you Garett! Right on.

March 03 2006 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Garett

"...it's blasphemous, offensive, and irreverent NOT only and most importantly to our Saviour Jesus Christ..."

He ain't MY savior, Skippy. And I'll make fun of him--and his wacked out followers--as much as I want to. You chose to be a 'Christian.' I didn't. Deal with it.

February 10 2006 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Simmons

Joel,

Free speech is a guaranteed right as you have mentioned. Conversely, it's our freedom of speech to disagree with others when their comments are clearly offensive as I have done.

Simply because one has the right to say something offensive, doesn't mean you should go ahead and do it; especially, if you know most people will find those comments offensive--at least, from a moral standpoint.

Legally, you can say almost anything you want within reason, but that wasn't my contention. Rather, it was my contention that people should be more respectful of others' beliefs; hence, my commentary.

Incidentally, kudos should go to TVSquad because you're willing to allow us to voice our opinions even when we disagree on an issue and I thoroughly enjoy the privilege of posting my comments on TV shows.

Respectfully,

Jason Simmons

February 10 2006 at 6:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Tasteless hurmor and poking fun a religions has been a favorite subject of writers for centuries, even longer. It's nothing new and we should examine it also in the context of the recent furor re the Muslim world's upset over "tasteless" cartoon depictions of the Prophet Mohammed. They all fall in the same bucket IMHO.
BUT we live in a democracy which does not regulate "taste" or "humor" only "indecency" etc. This is the disconnect.
Also I wonder at the tactic of religious groups making "noise" about perceived "incorrect and unacceptable" sketches on TV shows. B4 this piece of "news" I had indeed heard that BS would appear on this show. I had concluded that it was something I might well MISS. Now I am wondering if the sketch will really be "offensive" and wonder if I should now watch. The point I am trying to make is that "noise" often gives massive bump in free "publicity" and causes MORE people to tune in, than would have without any comment/criticism being made.
It's also not as if religious programming shown over TV is free of "incorrect" commentary. It brings to mind several sayings: Something about b4 removing the slplinter from someone elses eye, one should remove the plank from ones own. Or turning the other cheek.

Overall it's a real fine line between humor and tastelessness. And often one man's humor is another's tasteless act. It's all in our democracy that speech is free and tasteless commentary is no crime.

February 03 2006 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Jason, we do still live in a country that has freedom of speech. So, even if you think the term "Cruci-fixins" is offensive, that doesn't mean that anyone, from Anna to the writers of Will & Grace, don't have a right to say it or write it.

Oh, and other religious groups are made fun of all the time. Jeez, how many times has Jon Stewart made fun of his own Jewiness on The Daily Show (as a member of the tribe, I find that stuff hilarious)?

The reason why I'm offended by the word "Cruci-fixins" is that it just isn't all that funny. But I'm more offended by bad comedy than blasphemy, anyway.

February 03 2006 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Semi-regular reader

It's funny how NBC has no problem mocking Christianity, but the network's news program is too frightened to even show a Danish editorial cartoon because it is "offensive to Muslims". See story

The simple answer is that NBC and most of the American media are cowards. If they had any guts they'd mock Islam and other religions with the same fervent irreverence and bigoted attitudes.

But no... bigotry against Christians is easy, because they're not supposed to blow stuff up.

Plus if you're going to call a group "deranged" for reacting to material they find offensive, at least be consistent and say the same thing about the Muslims who have instituted an "INTERNATIONAL DAY OF ANGER" over a couple of editorial cartoons.

And, Heck... why not say the same thing for African Americans who get offended when some moron KKKer scrawls racial epithets on a wall? Should they just lighten up?

Individual beliefs are okay, they just need to be consistent rather than targeted at a single group. That's just bigotry 101.

February 03 2006 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Simmons

The blogger from TVSquad, Anna, who wrote this article shows little regard to other Christians with her comments "...I'd love to see NBC stick to its guns and stay with Cruci-fixins. That's funny, y'all."

No, it's NOT funny--it's blasphemous, offensive, and irreverent NOT only and most importantly to our Saviour Jesus, but to Christians everywhere, including myself.

Anna, would you like it if someone made offensive remarks towards your religious beliefs, most importantly, our Saviour?

More than likely, you wouldn't. Your disrespect towards Christians and other bloggers is shocking and inexcusable.

I'm sure you wouldn't be making those irreverent remarks about any other religious group and if you were, then that not only shows your lack of respect for other people and their religious beliefs, but lack of manners.

Furthermore, it's amazing how so many people have an apathetic and irreverent attitude towards Christianity.

One can only ask themselves if they would be making such culturally-insensitive comments if it were any other religious group?

The answer is a resounding NO!

Clearly, this is evidence of hypocrisy at its best from fellow bloggers making a joke out of Christinaity and Jesus' crucifixion.

Your lack of respect for Christianity is not only amazing, and appalling, but highly offensive at its worst.

Bottom line: You should respect other people's religious beliefs as they respect yours. Incidentally, not only am I a Christian, but the majority of the United States is composed of Christians as well.

February 03 2006 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stefanie

I think its ridiculous that no one would have the audacity to make fun of Muslims or joke about the Hindus. But yet Christianity is a target for some reason?!
Comment on televangelists: As a Christian myself... If they are there to make money then they make fools of Christians! That's not what we are about!
I would love to know why Jews are not made fun of?!
You make a mockery of something someone believes is so precious to the reason they live.

February 03 2006 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LarriveeJP

Because televangelists robbing old people blind on "Christian" networks doesn't denegrate Christianity. What a bunch of tools.

February 03 2006 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply