September 2, 2014

Dave Chappelle confused me

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 4th 2006 8:05AM
chappelle oprahI watched Dave Chappelle on Oprah yesterday and, despite denying rumors that he's crazy, I think he may have some sort of mental imbalance. Oprah opened up the show by asking him why he suddenly left for Africa after signing a $50 million, 2-year deal with Comedy Central. I don't think he ever gave a straight answer. He did say something about "they" were trying to manipulate him through the press, and that there was a lot of pressure, and he had ethical issues with some sketches on the show. But, it took me an hour to glean that from his rambling, disjointed answers to Oprah's questions. Oprah was clearly confused. She kept trying to get clarification from him on why he disappeared. At 19 minutes into the show, she was still asking.

Later, when she asked him whether he would return to his show on Comedy Central, he said he had been thinking about that question all during the interview and appeared to just make up an answer on the spot. He said something about creating a comfortable work environment and donating DVD proceeds to charity. Huh?

What concerns me most about Dave Chappelle is his denial that he's having mental issues. He said close friends, family and co-workers were telling him he was going out of his mind and encouraging him to take anti-psychotics. He explained it away by saying that people were trying to manipulate him. And, he bashed his writing partner for not calling when Chappelle ran off to Africa (without even telling his wife!) and asked, "what kind of a friend is that?" I think that's probably the kind of friend who's pissed off at Chappelle for walking away from a $50 million deal that didn't just involve Dave, but all the people who work for him.

Whatever the problem, whether it's a chemical imbalance in his brain or not, the man did not seem right in the head.

What did you guys think of the interview?

Christine

Put aside what he did and didn't say for a moment... that brother was high on something. His eyes were glassy... one eye blinked slower than the other... he constantly licked his lips and slurred several times. Chappelle, to me, is the funniest person in the business, but that man was higher than a kite. My boyfriend noticed and he doesn't even know what "high people" look like. I'm not judging -- I'm just saying Dave Chappelle was f*cked up!

February 10 2006 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AR

chapelletheory.com is total crap. first of all, there is NO Omni Hotel in the Buckhead area of Atlanta, so how can these people have been seen meeting there?

February 10 2006 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eman3d

I beleive that a somewhat intelligent black person will understand what DC is trying to say, whithout cutting his own throat, White people will just label him as crazy. What DC is suffering from is not a 'mental condition' it's just his responsibility as a black man, plain and simple. His jokes are based on racism and his use of the 'N' word is prolific. His conscience is getting the best of him, which says a lot about him as a man and not a money hungry pig (like most of us). Being black in this country is not easy and White people will never understand nor do they try and understand. Dave knows his 'jokes' can be taken the wrong way and have an effect on society (black and white people) that he would be responsible for. I knew that was the problem when he first left his show, my speculations have now been confirmed. It just shows you that White America looks at Black people in a whole different light then they do themselves. There is a lot of bad history that us Black people have not forgotten about when it comes to white people and even though DC comedy plays on this it basically can 'stur the pot' and the end result can be somewhat misinterpreted. He seems to be a cool guy to have enough care about African American struggles in this country, struggles that he makes fun of for money, that he owes some type of responsibilty to make sure those struggles are not prostituted for money.

February 07 2006 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khomotso

It is amazing how almost everyone in America is a Psychology expert. It is interesting to look at America from the outside looking in. The insight that we get from shows such as Oprah etc. Your obsession with plastic surgery, and mental therapy is unbelievable.

I doubt any of you know him well enough to comment on his state of mind. Common sense would tell you that his answwers were bound to be a little disjointed. The man had to come out and say SOMETHING to quell all the speculation around him. at the same time, he had to try and be diplomatic and not just spill all the beans lest Comedy Central sues him for $50mil.

The man was under pressure and he could not handle it. What's crazy about that!!???

February 06 2006 at 7:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

I saw about half of the interview. Did they mention the skit that involves Oprah?

February 04 2006 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

Dave was being evasive because he thinks there's a group of white men who go after black people when they reach a certain level.

What he doesn't realize is that story he told is the same that all models and actresses tell when they come out of rehab.

Friends and co-workers trying to give you drugs of any kind, forcing you to comprise your beliefs and convincing you to dress up like a fool. That was the movie Gia.

Dave it's Hollywood, they want you to dance like a monkey not because your black, because their product is YOU and they believe in owning their product.

February 04 2006 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

I don't think Dave was all there on Oprah, but I don't think he was completely nuts either. I think he's somewhere in between, if that makes any sense. I could tell that he was making some amount of sense because Oprah seemed to understand, if not fully then at least partially, what was going on in his head. I think Oprah hit the spot when she said something to the extent that if you are not mentally ready for success, when success comes, you will freak out. I mean, when you give someone who has had only modest showbiz success (Dave was nowhere near as popular before the show as he is now) a $50 million contract, it is only natural that that person is going to feel the weight of increased expectations on their shoulders. Dave was, IMO, not ready for that success, and he freaked out, and he still isn't quite all back yet.

February 04 2006 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seth

I came to the *exact* same conclusions while watching this.

Dave Chappelle seems like such a genuinely nice guy deep down. His talent is inarguable. I hope he gets help.

He certainly has some emotional, behavioural, and/or psychological issues that have propped up. It could very well be that they are, however, all stress-related and treatable - 'Sudden Wealth Syndrome' is well documented.

I just hope that he is seeking treatment so he can understand what is going on, because he still seems completely lost.

This really explains why we have never heard a straight answer about what happened - because its clear even Dave cant explain it.

February 04 2006 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stuy

Ya that site made me laugh. Oprah in his house at night holding a gun to his head should have tipped anyone that the whole thing was a joke.

As for the interview, Dave barley made eye contact the intire time. Constantly talking to the floor or looking off into the distance. I would guess he's and undiagnosed Schizo.

February 04 2006 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Folks, the "chapelle theory" has been around for months and is satirical. The folks at anti-social.com used it to promote their website in a viral manner, just like Angela and others are doing. Not that the site isn't interesting or funny, but none of it is true. Here is the disclaimer:

We even talked about it here in December:

February 04 2006 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply