October 25, 2014

Is America finally getting tired of Dr. Phil?

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 4th 2006 10:36AM
dr phil pollMaybe Dr. Phil has finally fallen out of favor with Americans. Or, maybe I'm reading way too much into an annual poll listing the Top 10 Favorite Television Personalities. Since 1993, Harris Poll has conducted a research project listing Americans' favorite celebrities. Dr. Phil, Regis Philbin, Ray Romano, and Bill Cosby all fell off the list this year.

The pollsters conducted their research online, and only interviewed 960 adults. So, I'd say that leaves out a significant portion of the population that isn't yet "wired".

Anywho, here's the list:
1. Oprah Winfrey
2. Jon Stewart
3. David Letterman
4. Jay Leno
5. Bill O'Reilly
6. Ellen DeGeneres
7. Conan O'Brien
8. Jerry Seinfeld
9. George Lopez
10. Tim Allen

mike

hoops and yoyo are my only hero's!!!

February 04 2006 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zoots Mom

I never have liked the man. I'm glad to see he's falling off, maybe they'll quit putting him everywhere..

February 04 2006 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

The thing that surprises me about that list is George Lopez and Tim Allen. I've tried watching the George Lopez show and it just wasn't good. Is it some kind of a hit I don't know about? And the only time I remember seeing Tim Allen on TV in the last few years was when he showed up at the Barret Jackson auction to sell a car.

February 04 2006 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SAV

Ooohhh,
Finally! I knew there was something wrong with this man when my ex would constantly quaote to me "well Dr. phil said this" or " Dr. Phil said that" Oh, and how long has he know about us and our particular problems?
He doesn't know everything. Surprise!

February 04 2006 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Dr. Phil exudes arrogance and a know-it-all attitude that turns me off and probably turns off alot of other people. He deals with people as if they are little children who get caught doing bad things and need to be disciplined. Does he think he is god and has all the answers? People with problems need empathy and understanding, not dominating beligerance. He was never a favorite TV personality of mine. He enjoyed popularity for a time because of Oprah.

February 04 2006 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, & 9 can all drop dead along with Dr. Phil.

February 04 2006 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Molly

oh, yaa, and HOORAY for John Stewart! #2! Way to go!!

February 04 2006 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Molly

Ohhhh, yaa. FINALLY off the top 10 list, thank gawd. Talk about a pompous, arrogant... uh.... well, you know. Here is someone who "helps" people with their relationships without bothering to recognize that good relationships are not ones that go by "Dr. Phil's rules" but rather ones in which the couple finds what works for THEM. Dr. Phil is so convinced that he's right about everything, he has no room to look at people as PEOPLE.

February 04 2006 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gail

I was a real Dr. Phil fan the first couple of years. then, it seems like he ran out of material and the stuff he talks about now just isn't interesting anymore. It's getting where he is having the same discussions over and over. Get some new material Dr. Phil.

February 04 2006 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annie W.

Eurgh. I'm so disgusted by Dr. Phil. Never liked him. All the advice he gives is along the lines of, "Well, you're fat... 'cause... you eat too much..." *wild cheers and applause from the audience; guest starts crying with realization*

Yay for Jon Stewart bumping Letterman out of spot #2.

February 04 2006 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply