July 28, 2014

The Five: Movies I'd like to see become TV shows

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 4th 2006 8:13PM

Super TroopersIf done right, this can be a great idea. I'm excited for Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but at the same time, I obviously have some reservations. I mean, who can forget the steamy pile of poo that was My Big Fat Greek Life? But like I said, if done right there are plenty of films out there that could have a very solid run as television shows. Here's some of my picks.

• Super Troopers: Quite possibly my favorite comedy of all time, I can't think of another movie that just never gets old for me. As a sitcom with the original cast intact, this has a lot of potential. Who wants a moustache ride?
  • Se7en: As much as I loved this film, I still want to know what happened to Mills and Somerset after it all went down with John Doe. I realize Mills shot him and got hauled away, but no way he stayed in jail if there was any jail time at all. Granted the whole gimmick of the seven deadly sins couldn't really be translated from film to TV but an hour-long cop drama about where Mills ended up after the death of his wife could be good.
  • High Fidelity: I think what I'm really hoping for here is just to get Jack Black on a TV show permanently because after School of Rock and King Kong, I'm starting to get scared by what he might make next. Give me a show set around the daily antics at Championship Vinyl... although now that I'm writing this, I'm realizing that Love Monkey might already be this show with a twist.
  • Confidence: I'll say this up front: we already have Hustle but I just don't like it. It's got the right idea but it can be so much better. So I guess I'm not necessarily asking for a direct translation of Confidence to the small screen. Just give me something better than Hustle.
  • Rushmore: If I could pay money to help get this made, I would. Following around Max Fischer for two hours was fantastic. Getting to see what he's going to pull next every week? Even better. I'd even be willing to settle for some kind of Project Greenlight rip-off where plays get submitted and made in the Max Fischer style. You know, with smoke, fire, and replica military helicopters.

So let's get commenting here. Are these worthy choices I've proposed? There really is an endless supply of films that would make great TV shows but instead we get crap like Close to Home and Ghost Whisperer.

Shawn

I find it amazing that you don't like hustle. it's probably one of the best shows of 2006. i've seen both seasons and i'm anxiously awaiting the bbc to finish filming S3.

February 06 2006 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
james

the difference between super troopers and reno911 is that the cops on reno are incompetent whereas the cops in supertroopers were slackers. is it funnier if they're intentionally screwing around, or if they're just stupid?

i vote for supertroopers.

-james

February 05 2006 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

Isn't Reno 911 sort of a bastardized Super Troopers? I can't imagine there would be much of a difference.

February 05 2006 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marv

Good list, but I think one that was over looked was The Bourne Identity. I know we have/had Alias, but I think the Bourne series just begs for it.

February 05 2006 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erik

The female cop from the State Police I think is on Boston Legal. Super Troopers would only work on HBO type where they could curse. Rushmore was great but I can't see them extending it weekly.

February 04 2006 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tweaq

HUSTLE IS AWESOME.
come on Jonathon hustle is great. The only problem i find with it, is the British. but that also sort of helps with their "status". also kidn of hard to understand at times.
also Reno911 is pretty much Super Troopers, just with different people.

February 04 2006 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

I never saw ST, but is it like, say "Reno 911"?

February 04 2006 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Oops. Sorry about that, Jonathan. Just noticed that.

February 04 2006 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan Toomey

Did you even read the post Joel? You just echoed what I said about High Fidelity

February 04 2006 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

High Fidelity *did* become a TV show. It's called Love Monkey.

Super Troopers would never be as funny on TV as it was in the movies. And I didn't think ST was that funny.

February 04 2006 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply