Kelly Clarkson knew 'Justin' movie would suck

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 6th 2006 8:58AM
kelly clarkson movieKelly Clarkson just solidified her standing as my favorite American Idol (sorry Bo, you're #2). She has managed to escape from the strangle-hold that American Idol has on most of its contestants' careers. In an article that comes out in today's Time magazine, Kelly says she didn't want to make From Justin to Kelly with runner-up Justin Guarini but she was contractually obligated. I never saw it, because it looked like some terrible version of Beach Blanket Bingo and it only got 8% on Rotten Tomatoes. She said, "I knew when I read the script it was going to be real, real bad...I could not get out of it." Kelly eventually did get out of her contract with 19 Entertainment, the studio that manages all the American Idol winners, when folks in charge wouldn't allow her to write any songs for her new album, Breakaway. She ended up writing or co-writing six of twelve tracks and now is managed by a new company. Just call her Miss Independent.

By the way, Kelly is scheduled to perform on the Grammy Awards this Wednesday. She is nominated for Best Pop Vocal Performance and Best Pop Vocal Album. Knowing that her personal stamp is on that album, I'm definitely rooting for her!

Karen McDillon

The biggest disappointment in American Idol history is Latoya London! When she was dismissed, the show lost creditability in my opinion.

February 08 2006 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AJC

I agree that Ruebens style has been hampered. I for one as a local fan of his can't wait for him to return to his natural style.

February 08 2006 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

I don't even know the names of other Idol winners. The only reason this one stands out is because she's cute. That "Miss Independance" song isn't my style, I'm more of a hard rock, heavy metal, whailing guitar, guy. Still, she's cute and nowhere near as over exposed as Britney and Christina.

You might actually be able to convince me this chick has talent compared to other pop girls.

February 06 2006 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Ruben should not have won, that's why he didn't do well. Clay, the one who was supposed to win, is doing quite well.

And no, I'm not a 'Claymate', I just recognize talent.

February 06 2006 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D

He did come out with another cd that was gospel.

February 06 2006 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

While we're on the topic of how the Idols are marketed, I want to voice my opinion that they killed Reuben off before he had a chance. Everyone loved him because of his smooth voice and solid sound. But, as soon as he won, they tried to portray him and a "too cool" guy with money, ladies, cars, and mansions on the hill. His music was all hip hop type instead of easy listening, which he excelled at.

I hope that he will do another album when his contract is done with and he finds some good smooth groove music.

February 06 2006 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply