November 27, 2014

Surface: Season Finale

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 6th 2006 9:10PM

SurfaceI like a show that doesn't BS around with dull scenes in its season finale. Right off the bat we're given the scenario: Miles and his family are packing up to escape town before the tsunami hits, Caitlin's Vespa is stolen when she arrives too late to find Miles, and she's knocked out when the crook pushes her, and Laura steals a rental car from the airport and blows by a road block to find Rich, who has been locked in a room at the mysterious lab. (And what is Jackson's name and pic doing on the lab's computers? Section Chief?!?)

Here we go!

The lab is being evacuated (after making sure all the experiments are ok), and one of the men orders that Rich be killed. A guard goes up to shoot Rich, but he gets into a fight with him and throws him out of the room. The bullets don't go through the glass or walls. I gotta say this was a great scene: the fight was realistic, and when Rich actually closes the door, trapping himself again...not many shows would have done that. We would have gotten the usual scene where the hero overpowers the guard and escapes, but here Rich is still trapped, and the guard decides to get the hell out of there before the tsunami comes. But the guard dropped his cell phone...

Meanwhile, Miles and family make it to the ferry, where they meet Dr. Bloom. Miles and Bloom realize that Caitlin must still be trapped because the bridge is out, and this is confirmed when the kid who stole her Vespa shows up at the ferry. Miles grabs him and asks where Caitlin is. The kid tells her that she's back at the house, so Miles dives into the water and swims to find her. Nim is at the house, and leads Miles to Caitlin.

Rich reaches Laura on the cell phone and makes it to the lab. She breaks in and tries to find Rich, with a quick stop to a control center, where she sees that the monorails from last week aren't just leaving the facility...they're going to the bottom of the world. She finds the master switch to open all the doors, and they escape. They stumble upon a crazy lab guy saying "No exit will help you." He also laughs and says "follow the water."

They get out and onto the street, to the moment fans of this show have been waiting for: they run into Miles and Caitlin! Well, not literally. Miles swerves to avoid them, and Laura and Rich jump in the car and the four of them drive off together, to escape the tsunami. (Funny moment: Laura and Rich see Nim in the backseat and Rich says "what the hell is that?"). The car runs out of gas, so they get out and run toward a church, as a giant wave comes toward them. Inside the church, Laura and Miles see a big creature swimming around in the water. They make it to the roof of the church, as a second wave comes. Nim shows up, and the four look over the roof into a completely flooded city. Laura says "It's a whole new world."

END

Very good episode, keeping up the suspense and pace of last week's episode. I like how the "big event" actually felt like a big event and not just a lot of talk about how it was big. And I like how they separated certain characters ,while uniting others. (The acting by everyone on this show is first-rate: realistic and involving.)  The ending shows that what Carter Jenkins told me was right, that a second season of this show will be different, with the monsters on land and things more out in the open. But I just hope there is a second season: a check of the NBC site shows that they are advertsing this as the FINAL EPISODE. Yikes.)

Diana

They should bring SURFACE back or make a follow up movie, we need an ending which season one left in the air. Let the powers that be be aware that we want an ending.

January 06 2012 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jennifer

when is the new season coming...its making me mad cuz its a great show..

October 08 2006 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elias Wilson

"This series needs to never come back on the air ever again. I have never seen a show with so many plot holes, shitty acting, completely unrealistic events"

You know what?

SCREW YOU!!!

We are a bunch of people who are writing on this blog to say what we LIKED about this series. I mean, read all the other 19 reviews that say how great this is. This was one of the greatest things i have ever seen. and i was seriously PISSED when they ended it. I hate cliffhangers. But this series gets an A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

June 14 2006 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rosalie

I love this show!!!! for the facts 1. thats its something my and my little bro watch
2. and it leav you wanting more and more and more....
i hope there a second season couse me and my bro want to know if they ever get to to see there family agine?!?!?!

June 12 2006 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wallace

Some people here should be shooting movies in Holywood studios so specialist they are! They make so many bad comments on the series, they should work as consultants for better series! NERDS, FUCK OFF! The show is great and deserves a sencond season!

June 06 2006 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tamara

Please bring Surface back. We Love it. We need more

May 16 2006 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stillborne

I have successfuly read number 20's comments and come to a conclusion. You are an idiot.
The show is great and the plot lines are for sci-fi people and not for Shirley McLean want to be's.
I highly doubt you know anything about retnal scanning techknowledgy but if you do a little Google research you will find that yes you can do that but in order to do that it would assume that the person you are using has been incapasitated somehow. Still better than an I.D card.
Surface is great. You, my dear friend (term used losely) are ignorant. Still, you do have an opinion and you are allowed to have it........it just doesn't mean much to anyone.
Take care.

April 17 2006 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeannette

I am another one of those 40 plus women and I loved the show. I certainly hope they bring it back as to many questions were left unanswered. We all need to know whats gonna happen next.

April 06 2006 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suggiepie

Never have I been so disappointed in a TV program that had such great promise to begin with. I was so caught up in the program that I even Tivo'd every episode but when it came to the finale, the writers just seemed tired of writing and let it fizzle like a dead bomb. There were so many unanswered questions I won't even try to list them, and the final episode was a total ripoff not to mention that hokey sea creature.... I can only hope there is a second season, but this was such a letdown I'm not even sure I would watch. Funny, it was the only show NBC aired that I liked... NBC... could it stand for Negative and Bad Comments?

March 07 2006 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yle

i'm an italian girl who's studying marine biology to discover (i hope! :) ) new species, or most probably just to study the animals i love-dolphins- & this show hit me very much... i love Laura & her passion in her job, i love Miles & his believing in something... i think i've the same passion & hope, & i'm a little bit freak enough to believe in something like them ;)!

March 06 2006 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply