August 21, 2014

Do the Grammys still matter?

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 8th 2006 11:09AM

Grammy Awards - CBSOf course, for many of us, the question could be "did the Grammys ever matter at all?" But they're asking the question on CNN, and I have to admit that if I didn't write for a TV site I probably wouldn't even had known that the show was tonight (8pm on CBS).

Is this show important to anyone outside of the music industry? And why would it even be important to anyone in the music industry, since I don't think that a Grammy nomination or a win results in more sales to the average consumer. I mean, I don't think music fan buys a CD because the artist wins an award, they buy it because they like the artist anyway, or it was recommended by a friend, etc. In fact, the argument could be made that since the artist/album got a Grammy nomination, it already had great sales, or it wouldn't have been nominated (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, it's quality, not quanity - but that's in a perfect world. In the real world, sales means accolades).

So tell us: do you watch the Grammys? And if so, why? And do awards go out and make you buy the album?

Preston

You bet that those Grammys help those artists' sales! Even down to who's nominated. I can't tell you how happy I was when Chaka Khan's The Woman I Am album in 1992 won a Grammy award in 1993! Or when Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince won the first rap Grammy for Parents Just Don't Understand. I jump up when an album I bought or a song from it that's nominated wins a Grammy! Sometimes they focus on the Record, Song and Album of the Year nominations too much. And sometimes, they're lazy with Best New Artist and nominate someone no one's ever heard of. Sometimes, the Grammy have been overshadowed by the public-voting American Music and People's Choice, so they've been getting off that stuffy safe image. It's a lot better now. And I like the clashing of artists from different genres in one performance.

February 08 2007 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
venugopal

the music scene has really gone down the drain.
i suppose we will no more have th likes of bryan adams, mark knopfler, george michael, phil collins.

the music scene now is just trash. which album released last year will be remembered 5 years down the line.

this is not true of the greats mentioned by me above

March 04 2006 at 5:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Me

THEY DO TO MATTER!!!!

my lyfe=music.

and im sorry if yours doenst!!

of couse theyy do!!!

February 09 2006 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FP

I think the answer to the question "Does it matter" depends on what you mean by "matter". Do you mean "the winners earn money/popularity" or perhaps "confirmation of the industry cream de la crop."? Probably neither. But it is a chance to hear a variety of music, for those of us who like music, since the show is full of performances.

Also it is a spectacle -- sometimes a train wreck (thanks J-Lo), sometimes glorious (anytime Stevie Wonder sings).

The best way to enjoy the show? Ignore the awards part. Stay for the music.

February 08 2006 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

The Grammys do not matter anymore. But what does matter is the top 10 lists at the end of the year.

February 08 2006 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick R

I worked in a record store for about 6 years and from that time I can tell you that the Grammys definitely do have an effect on sales. It's probably not quite to the extent of the Oscars, but there is definitely a noticeable jump in some artists' sales post-Grammys. It especially often tends to be the case with albums that already sold tons of copies earlier and then get another rebound boost after the awards.

Personally though, yeah, the Grammys pretty much suck. And not just because it's an awards show (all awards are meaningless, yadda yadda, how the hell does Mariah Carey keep getting nominations? yadda yadda). The problem is that it's not even a very entertaining one. I understand it's supposed to be a very prestigious and exclusive sort of event, but the show is unbearably stiff and boring. Plus, the nominations tend to be incredibly predictable and the winners even moreso. It's all just too safe and tidy for my liking.

February 08 2006 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon Carpenter

nicco, i know for a fact that the reason they vanish is because most of them are working on a new album. Its common sense, you win best new artist then you go into the studio to work on a follow-up. Duhhh!

February 08 2006 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Nicomm, I hate the grammys and I hate the way the music industry works. However, most of those artists you listed have continued to release work and have continued to sell well since their grammy. None of them are my "favorite artist," nor do I find them to be "notable exceptions." Most of them suck. Still, most of them have had continued success, so I'm not sure what your definition of "off the radar" is.

Not defending the grammys, and not particularly attacking your point, I think I'm just failing to see all your logic.

February 08 2006 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Atticus

I have been thinking for years that the grammys do not matter. The awards usually go to the most trendy groups/artists of the year and not necessarily the best music. Plus, I find them to be the lower class cousin to the Acadamy Awards. Lost it is for me and being in Canada, I have a few hockey games to watch.

February 08 2006 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Goral

With just a few notable exceptions, it seems that whoever wins the "Best New Artist Award" pretty much vanishes off the radar soon after.
Here's the last 10 winners:

Maroon 5
Evanescence
Norah Jones
Alicia Keys
Shelby Lynne
Christina Aguilera
Lauryn Hill
Paula Cole
LeAnn Rimes
Hootie & The Blowfish

(If I slighted your personal favorite, just count them as part of the "notable exceptions")

February 08 2006 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply