October 25, 2014

Lost: The Long Con

by C.K. Sample, III, posted Feb 8th 2006 11:27PM
lost sawyerOn tonight's episode, Kanye West won... oh crap. Wrong channel. Hold on... Okay. Tonight's episode of Lost is called "The Long Con" and is a Sawyer-centric episode focusing on flashbacks from his life. As always, this recap will be replete with spoilers, but I'm going to save them all for after the jump.

We start with Locke and Jack discussing the combination to the guns and drugs closet. Jack wants the combo, but John is concerned that his asking for the info isn't about trust, but about backup in case something should happen to Locke. Locke says that Jack should consider locking medicine in there too. Jack asks why and we cut to Sawyer walking out of the water to talk to Charlie, asking him how it feels to be the new most hated person on the Island. Charlie retorts that he'd be more concerned with Jack rummaging through Sawyer's tent. Sawyer runs over to find Jack taking pills back from Sawyer. Sawyer warns him not to do it and gives him a "This is your last chance" option to leave without taking his stuff but Jack walks off with it and Sawyer scowls at him as he walks away. First commercial break. More after the jump...

We return from commercial in a flashback with Sawyer in bed with a woman, reliving the same con we saw him in the middle of last season with the money in the suitcase. The girl notices the fake, calls him on conning her after grabbing for the money and finding out it is fake. She says she didn't take any money in her divorce and that he didn't do his homework. She says she wants him to show her what he does. She wants to learn to con. End flashback.

Back with Kate and Sawyer flirting near his tent and she agrees to read out loud to Sawyer since he lost his glasses on the raft. Sawyer starts joking about Locke shacking up with Claire. Then he mentions the army that Jack is building and discovers that Kate wasn't invited to participate either.

Cut to Hurley making a lime and the coconut joke with Sayid who is trying to open up a coconut. Hugo has a radio and asks Sayid to hack it and Sayid says it is a waste of time and that he doesn't need cheering up, but then after Hurley leaves we see Sayid staring at the radio that Hurley left behind. Cut to Ana and Jack walking around. Ana says these people aren't scared enough and then asks for the combination to the gun closet and quickly says she was just kidding when Jack looks at her suspiciously.

Cut to Sun gardening and a noise behind her in the brush with eerie music. It ends up just being Vincent and she says something to him in Korean just before he runs off and it starts pouring rain. Suddenly someone throws a black cloth over her head and starts dragging her off.

Kate and Sawyer hear the screams and run out in the jungle and find Sun hurt in the woods, passed out, Kate runs to get Jack and Sawyer runs back with her. Her hands were tied.

Ana says "they're back" but me and a lot of people in the chat room thought at this point that she did it to scare everyone. Second commercial break.

Cut back to Locke saying "They told us they would leave us alone." And Jack disagrees. Ana argues for guns, but Locke says no or they'll all end up shooting one another.

Cut to Sawyer and Kate in the jungle. Sawyer points out "How she'd get away"" mentioning that Kate couldn't get away when the Others grabbed her. Sawyer notices the difference in the details and that they are wrong. They find a hood that didn't match. Sawyer suggests it's a con by Ana to set up the army.

Cut to flashback with Sawyer showing his new apprentice about a jewelry con. Repeats the line "It's all in the details" as he writes price tags on the jewelry and puts a bandaid on his nose to make it look like he was in a fight. They run a scam on two marks, the girl buying the first necklace to set the others up.

Cut back to present with Sun, Jin, and Jack, and Sun with a HUGE knot on her forehead.  Jin is concerned.

Cut to Kate and Jack chatting. Kate askes Jack how well he knows Ana Lucia. Implying that she's the one who clubbed Sun. Jack walks off without answering her. Commercial break.

Ana and Jack walking on the beech. Ana is talking about the army and says that after what happened people are finally willing to do something. Jack confronts her, and she catches his implication that he thinks she set the whole thing up and she acts indignant about his implied blame. Sun wakes up. Sun tells what she remembers, but she doesn't remember anything. Jin grows angry as they talk and starts repeating to Jack, "Gun." Jack is trying to calm him down.

Sawyer and Kate are talking and Ana looks at Kate and Kate says this is all Ana's plan to get to the guns and asks Sawyer to go tell Locke they are coming.

Cut to flashback with Sawyer and his girl in  the bathroom, and she says she wants to do a long con. He says they need money and she reveals that she actually has 600K in the bank.

Cut back to present. Locke looking in Owl Creek Bridge book in the bunker when Sawyer walks up and asks him what he's doing. Locke says he is alphabetizing the books. John calls Sawyer James. Sawyer warns Locke about Jack coming for the guns, and when Locke asks why, he says "because it will piss off Jack". Locke asks Sawyer to help him move the guns. This is the point in the show where I started suspecting that this is all one elaborate long con on Sawyer's part to gain access to the guns and get back at Jack for taking things from his tent at the beginning. Commercial break.

We return to a flashback with Sawyer meeting with some guy in a diner where Kate's mom is the waitress. We find out that the guy set up this long con to steal the 600K from Sawyer's girlfriend. Sawyer wants to not do the deal but the guy threatens both their lives.

Return to the bunker with Sawyer entering the code as Jack and Jin arrive. Jack opens the door to find the closet all empty. Sawyer takes a pill and throws the bottle to Jack and says, "I believe these are yours."

Cut to John on the beech. Jack runs up on Locke asking about the guns. Locke says he's hidden them and he's not willing to tell Jack where. They begin to argue vehemently when Sawyer shoots the guns and breaks up the yelling. Sawyer reveals that he took all the guns from the hiding place. He says, "Listen up. I'm only going to say this once... You took my stuff while I was trying to get us help." He says he's done taking orders. That he doesn't wants his stuff back. He says the only thing that matters now are guns and that if anyone on the island wants a gun that they'll have to come to him. He looks at Sayid and says "you want to torture me." Then: "New sherriff in town boys. Yall best get used to it." And he walks off with the gun on his shoulder as Kate looks angered and hurt. Commercial.

Flashback with Sawyer talking to his girlfriend telling her that the guy is out there and that she was the long con. He tells her to run and gives her all the money. He says, "I love you" and she says, "I love you too." And she leaves.

Back to island with Sawyer polishing his gun. Kate comes up and confronts him about using her to pull off his trick. She asks him if he were involved with Sun's attack. He retorts "WHat kind of guy do you think I am?" And she practically yells at him, "You want people to hate you." He says he's lucky she doesn't hate him, and then she asks him why he tricked her and used her.  He says: "You run, I con. Tiger can't change her stripes."

Cut to comic relief scene with Sayid walking up to Hurley with the radio saying "I want to show you something," Hurley "you fixed it". They find a signal of a radio station playing some old waltz music. Sayid says, "Could be coming from anywhere." Hurley says "OR any time.... Just kidding, dude."

Cut to Charlie in the jungle. Charlie and Sawyer teamed up to pull off the gun theft.   Sawyer tries to give Charlie one of the Virgin Mary statues. Charlie says he did it b/c he wanted Locke to look like a fool, not for the statues. Charlie says Sun can never find out what I did to her.

Charlie then asks Sawyer how he thought of the plan and we enter into another flashback with Sawyer getting into the car where the guy who threatened to kill him and his girlfriend was supposedly sitting. He turns to look at the drivers seat and we pan over to see no one there. He begins counting, One mIssissippi, two mississippi... Then we see him walk back into the house and take the bag full of money that he had switched with another identical bag amidst all the confusion when he told her that he loved her. He pauses to look at a picture of them both and then turns it face down as we leave the flashback.

Back to present: "I'm not a good person, Charlie. Never did a good thing in my life."End of episode.

While the episode was entertaining, I have to say, there are a few rather large holes in this story line. Mainly that this scam, although very possible, falls apart after it is complete. Locke should be able to track down where Charlie snatched the guns to. I mean, he's tracked Charlie all over the island in the past and seemed nigh omniscient about Charlie's actions. It seems like the scam may have worked, but Locke and Jack could have easily figured out a way get the guns back easily enough. I do like that the whole story line was put into action by Jack being a jerk to Sawyer though. I mean, right at the start, Sawyer warns him not to take his stuff and then he spent the rest of the episode proving that he could outsmart both Locke and Jack and place himself in the power-position of the island whenever he likes. It's also interesting the way there is now a grudge Sawyer vs. Jack and Charlie vs. Locke dynamic being set up that results in Locke and John on the same team again. What do you think?

Seabass

To #60: Nice theory. Too bad it's horrifically wrong.

February 12 2006 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

How about this new theory;

Sawyer used the $600,000 from his last con to buy a South Pacific island, some old movie sets, some special effects, actors, crew and a bomb so he could set up and carry out the worlds longest, most expensive and most daring con to get his hands on Hurleys lottery winnings.

February 12 2006 at 7:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Something weird happened to my last comment, and it got all messed up. Anyway, there's an interesting article about Lost at subversiveminds.com this week, pretty funny and worth some thought :-)

February 11 2006 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TXVet

Didn't Sawyer tell 'Zeke' that some day, me and you, Zeke...---ie this is all about revenge for Sawyer since 'Zeke' was the one who shot him on the raft?

February 11 2006 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelvin

Some brilliant comments from other viewers that i found on msnbc.com site:

SAWYER AND CHARLIE
In a weird sort of way, Sawyer decided to take some of the hate & resentment heat off Charlie......He felt sorry for Charlie and figured he could take the heat better than Charlie, after all he is used to having people despise him - he can take it and survive - Charlie cant - and so in a twisted way, now everyones attention is off Charlie and on Sawyer. And we all know what pressure may make Charlie do - just keep away from those statues, Charlie. Sawyer took the heat off Cassidy by double elimination, and in turn probably saved her life and made her get back on the straight and narrow path. Sawyers mind works in mysterious ways, but he is as soft hearted as they come, in a brutal sort of way. --Sandra

HANG 'EM HIGH
My father noticed that in the scene in the hatch, during which Locke is organizing the book shelf, he pulls down a book Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge...this book is the story of a man who gets hanged off that bridge, but the rope breaks and he falls in to the water below, escapes and begins a journey home. Throughout the journey, he starts to feel pain in his neck which worsens along the way....at the end of his journey it is revealed that he did in fact die from the hanging and the whole journey is what he imagined in the brief seconds between the rope dropping and his neck breaking/death. Looks like the writers wants us to question (1) are the characters dead and if so, is this whole deal someones last dying vision? --K

THE BAD TWIN
Other discussions of the show noted something interesting regarding The Bad Twin manuscript by Gary Troup. The letters in his name can be re-arranged to spell purgatory. Just coincidence or an anagram that means --Gary

February 10 2006 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Joe, props on the really extended theory there, but I think you're pushing it a bit. It's a bit convoluted and even more contingent on predicting people's behavior than Sawyer's long con - and even that teeters on the brink of unbelievability. I think you may be reading into things a little too much; but hey, with this show you never know.

February 10 2006 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

After rewatching the beginning of the episode I am almost certain He is not calling Locke Jack. It's just the way Jack or actor Matthew Fox talks. When he says John it has more of a "Jan" sound to it. I don't know if it's the way the actor speaks or he is trying to put a Boston accent to it.

February 10 2006 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Am I the only one who was thinking towards the end of the episode that the "long con" being pulled on everyone was not by Sawyer, but rather by Locke? My logic (which is most likely pretty confusing and farfetched):
1. Locke WAS the only one with access to the weapons; but then Jack wants the combo to the vault, and Locke doesn't like that. He doesn't want Jack to have any control over the guns, so he knows he's going to have to hide them somehow (because as he says later, even if he changes the combo, Jack will get in there if he really wants to.)
2. So Locke quickly thinks up a plan: he slides in the comment about also putting the medicine in the vault, knowing that Jack would go and get Sawyer's stash. And Locke knows that would really make Sawyer mad and want some sort of revenge on Jack. Stealing the guns to undermine Jack's authority would be a good way to do that.
3. Locke knows Sawyer will need help to steal the guns, i.e. Charlie. Luckily he planned ahead for that, by A: putting the heroin statues in the vault, figuring that Charlie will want to get in there to get them (Of course this isn't the reason Charlie does it, but that is incidental), and B: making Charlie an outcast so that he now lives next to Sawyer, making it easy for Sawyer to include him in his plans.

So Sawyer and Charlie carry out their plan, just as Locke wants. Now Jack has no access to the guns at all, and Locke can easily find them because that's what he does. Sawyer thinks he's in control, but he's really just a pawn. When Sawyer described what a long con was, part of the description was having a plan and making the person being conned believe it was HIS idea ... and that's exactly what Locke did to Sawyer.

That's just my two cents; although its more likely that I'm insane and have an overactive imagination. Either way, GREAT episode.

February 10 2006 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Hmmm...I have a question. With regards to Sawyer and Cassidy. I thought the partner wasn't involved. A lot of people thought that he was. Now I'm not so sure.

I just watched the scene again, and right at the moment that Sawyer zips up the bag of cash, is that a gunshot we hear? Can someone go back and review that?

If it is, it changes the tone of the whole episode, if Sawyer had her killed for her money. I hadn't thought that before, I thought he just scammed her.

February 09 2006 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

James Kew In response to Comments (7) and (38), I see so the reference to the Shining was the music and not Hurleys comment. You might want to be a little clearer in your posts. As for the ending of the Shining, does that imply time-travel, or is it more likely explained by possession/reincarnation? I didnt read the book either.

Tamara Your great pickup in Comment (16) that Glenn Millers plane disappearedthats the reason why I love getting other peoples input in these blogs. I dont know what it means in the long run, if anything, but it seems more than coincidental. Great pickup.

To everyone who thinks Jack was calling John Jack. I hear it to, but I cant really distinguish whether he is saying John OR Jack. They sound a lot alike in speech. I know this though. The closed captioning says John in the cases in question, and in the gun store room, Jack calls John John right after (a sentence of two later) it sounds like he might be saying Jack. I think its just the sound playing tricks on us. I dont think its intentional or has any hidden meaning.

John F (Comment 23) I will read the story, and I would imagine it will be interesting in the context of Lost, but dont you think literary references are just too obvious? Especially when they so prominently feature them on the show? Its kind of an interesting way to pass the timeI dont expect the keys to Lost are going to be laid out in the books they feature on the show. Its just too obvious.

Todd Plants (Comment 24) Several people have commented on this. Here is my understanding based on the show: Sawyers partner convinced him to carry through with the con. Sawyer used the reality to his benefit. Did you notice he parked the car behind a bush so you couldnt see the driver side from inside? He then had the fake money (newspaper) sitting in the briefcase, told the woman the story to get her to rush out, and passed of the bad money as good. He then waited for her to have enough time to get away. And went back for the real stash. It wasnt his share. It wasnt left for him by his partner. His partner wasnt there, and didnt kill the woman. Why would he? It wasnt necessary. Sawyer planned it all out perfectly.

Leesa, as far as your letting me know that Richard Bachman IS Stephen King in Comment (30), was it not evident from my comment that this is what I was clearly referring to?

Albus Dumbledore Thanks for being on top of the whole Sawyer can read thing in Comment (32). I cant believe some of the things people think they spot, and then go online and share with the world. But your right, its hard to theorize that Sawyer is illiterate, when they have shown him READING ALOUD in the show.

Mwerkharder I think a lot of people got this but I admit, I didnt think that far into the name. So for me, at least, it was a great pickup and I appreciate it. I also hate it because it will continue to fuel those Purgatory rumors that people still cling to. I hate that (unless in the end they are in Purgatory). But I REALLY dont think the are and I WISH IT WOULD GO AWAY.

Mhan0801 Good points in Comment (39). I think there is mounting evidence for some WWII connection, though I dont think its a time warp. Are the writers just playing with our collective minds?

Ian & Scott See my comment above regarding the con and the partner. I think you have missed what happened entirely if you think the partner was working with the girlfriend.

Shmirdawg So the similarities start with a story about con menand end there too. Seriously, your own post shows how different they are. Hey, did anybody notice how much Lost resembles Survivor? In that show, they are stranded on an island. They have to compete with each other and then someone gets voted off. I mean, isnt the resemblance amazing!

Siraris, I dont understand your conclusion in Comment (49). Locke is flipping through a book, and it looks like he is holding it at a page that is blank. But is that unusual? Lots of Chapters end and have a blank page before the start of the next Chapter. Otherwise, you cant see pages hes flipping through. To jump to the conclusion that all the books and all the pages are blank just doesnt make sense.

Niki, you answered your own question in Comment (51). If you cant see the time and opportunity for Sawyer to grab the pills, then you need to stop making assumptions.

Good night all!