July 31, 2014

Scrubs: My Half Acre/Her Story II

by Ryan j Budke, posted Feb 8th 2006 4:10PM
mandy moore scrubs dark hairWe interrupt Chris' regularly scheduled review of Scrubs to bring you my views and musings on NBC's brilliant gem. I'm going to be reviewing both of last night's episodes in one review, which works out nicely since they flowed more or less as one story. They both centered around guest star Mandy Moore as JD's new girlfriend. A case of art imitating life since these two are dating (and rumored to be engaged) in real life. I'm sure it's the same for girls, but guys have a couple of different groupings for their celebrity crushes. There's the *ahem* fantasies of Angelina Jolie, Shakira, and Keira Knightley, and then you've got those girls that you just wish you had as your girlfriend; Natalie Portman, Reece Witherspoon and Keira Knightley (what can I say, I've got a thing for her). Very high a top that latter list for most guys is Mandy Moore. She just comes across as one of the generally sweetest girls you could ever hope to meet, and these episodes certainly helped cement that persona. I hate Zach Braff. On with the show!

JD and Julie (Mandy Moore) hit it off right off the bat, and were quickly smitten with each other. The one fact that JD kept coming back to over and over in his mind though, was that it was Elliot's line "I'm so glad I found you" (very smooth line by the way) that she told JD to say when the moment was right, that really convinced Julie of her feelings for him. JD was already fearing that she may be right all the time, when Elliot warned him that he was moving too fast with Julie. He quickly dismissed her sage-like advice though, and bought a half acre lot with her. We all know how well JD is with girls, too, so it was only a matter of time before he managed to self-destruct anyway. He locked on to one little quirk of Julie's and managed to blow it way out of proportion. Before letting it go too far though, his friends had an intervention and made him stop and realize what an amazing girl she really was. He stopped, and he did realize how amazing she was. When he admitted his long-term plans for himself and where she fit into them though, Julie confessed that she wasn't sure that was what she even wanted with her life. They went their separate ways.

I liked these episodes, they weren't my favorites, but they were still pretty good. As I said in my intro, Mandy Moore came off very convincingly as the hot yet approachable girl that she probably is. She's the one true "crossover" stars that every pop princess of the late 90's tried to be, and has nothing but a bright future ahead of her. I do hope that they don't "focus" the show on JD's search for love. It's been a great part of the story so far, but it's just that: a part. More than anything, this show has seemed to be about "growing up," and the hospital is just the setting for this story. That's not saying I don't want JD to be happy and finally find someone (even though I still think Elliot's his perfect match), it's just that I don't want the show to become Scrubs: The Quest for JD's Love.  Let me know what you think.

hhadzimu

Boom vs. Bone: Looking at the replay, Eliot almost definitely ends that word with an N, so it's likely bone. Interestingly enough, the caption on TV said "boon." I'm not taking sides, but I want this resolved. The people must know.

March 29 2006 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

One word -- "Turkletones"

March 26 2006 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Anderson

I hope Mandy comes back. I thought she was rather good on the show this week. Like she was made for Scrubs.

Either her or Heather Graham. Somebody!

February 11 2006 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Oh, by the way, to add to the "bone city"/"boom city" controversy, I distinctly heard "boom city" on my first viewing. I'll go back and check it out again.

February 09 2006 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

I agree with not turning this into "Scrubs: The Quest for JD's Love".
I don't know if it's the Valentine's "thing", but I feel like several shows are needing to add in the romantic storyline recently. Some have done it well (How I Met Your Mother) others not so much. It just seems unneccessarily "mainstream" to add in "the girlfriend"
Apparently "Earl" is set to add a love interest tonight, as well.

February 09 2006 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Wow, thank you for reminding me about Turk's dance routine before I deleted that episode off my DVR. I think that 2 minutes is worth a "Protect" status on the old DVR.

How about "Find the Saltine"? I thought that was great. And Lando's cameo was awesome. Oh, I'm sorry. "That was funny" :)

February 09 2006 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

How about Lando?!!? Err.. Billy Dee. I thought that was great.

February 09 2006 at 7:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Luis D.

JD's text was 'bone city' as in 'he boned her', you know, bumped uglies, knocked boots, did the dirty deed, you get the picture.

February 08 2006 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

Those episodes were outstanding, much much quotable material from everybody all around. I had to watch it on Tivo about 3 times to get it all blogged.

Her Story II, in particular, stands out as unusual in that it has one true *sshole moment from JD himself when he says "She's actually crying, she's not saying That's so sad." I was like, "Wow, I can't believe that came out of his mouth, that is harsh."

Favorites...

That includes you, Mrs. London. First I will save your life and then I will take it from you.

There's a tchotchke in my bum.

"Jordan why would you need 7 pap smears in one month?"
"I got a lot of pap."

February 08 2006 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

I thought those were two of the funniest episode ever of Scrubs and Mandy Moore is the untilmate "Girl Next Door" actress.

The first episode has insipred me to start a Air Band and it was "Boom City" that JD text Elliot

February 08 2006 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply