August 20, 2014

Veronica Mars: Ain't No Magic Mountain High Enough

by Keith McDuffee, posted Feb 8th 2006 10:52PM
veronica marsAfter reading the description of this episode, I wasn't anticipating it to be a great one; it turns out it was actually a lot of fun. We see Mac back in the picture a bit, Keith workin' the case with Terrence Cook, and Weevil getting some revenge on. Not to mention it's always good to see Veronica win one over on the teaching staff. Again. And again.

One thing that sort-of bugged me was Weevil. Last we saw of him, he was quite clearly on his way to getting his arse kicked by his old gang, after being ousted as their leader. So, where are the bruises and missing teeth? Maybe they gave him a good ol' noogie to the head. Or maybe they shaved his goatee. Oh, SNAP!

Logan's part in this episode confused me. All we really saw of him was his advancements toward what, to me, looked like a 12-year-old. That was really the extent of his story this week. I must be totally forgetting something here, but the girl's father looks mighty familiar. Can anyone help place him for me? If not, then he's surely part of the whole goings on this week, and we'll see more of him and his story later, methinks.

The principal calling certain kids into his office to view that video was oddly placed. I was scratching my head over that one. What did they all learn about it, if anything? Seemed like total time filler to me.

Veronica finds what looks to be an initiation paddle with license plates carved into it. Is it just a list of members of the Tritons, or something more?

I'm reasonably sure that Terrence is not guilty of anything dealing with the bus crash. If Keith were to be associated with someone who'd be later found guilty of the crime, he'd be finished, and I'm reasonably sure that's no way to start out a third season of this show. If I were to guess right now, I'd say Lamb will be found in the wrong, as far as this case is concerned, and promptly dismissed, making way for Keith to take over.

There were some great lines this week, way too many to remember, so I'll leave you with my fave.

Quote of the episode: "Why is the Beav snuggly with that girl from Ghostworld?"

sanna

Also, kinda weird to see Weevil with some hair on his otherwise well shaven head :-)

February 12 2006 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sanna

Actually Veronicas mom is one of the reasons she is trying to get the Kane scholarship. After Veronica found her in season 1 she (Veronica) took all of her college money to pay for her rehab, which Lianne didn't finish. Lianne continued to be a drinker but sorta moved back home. Veronica found out it wasn't water she was drinking all the time and asked her to leave. In the meantime Keith Mars tracked down the then disappeared Duncan and got a big reward from Celeste (not without some trouble, but that's another story). So before Lianne took her bags and left the Mars apartment she also stole the check from Keiths briefcase which was supposed to pay for Veronicas college education.

February 12 2006 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LycheeNut

The Hannah sequence was nauseatingly candy-sweet, redeemed by the reveal that Logan was playing being attracted to Hannah to get to her Dad-Accuser. But it is also worth pointing out that Rob Thomas has managed to snag another multitalented actor in Jessy Shram, who plays Hannah. Schram is considered an emerging singing and songwriting talent, a sought after model, and has several well-received acting roles over the past 6-7 years, inc. playing Patricia Arquette's younger self on "Medium". She may be intended by Thomas for a role going well past the giggling, naive virgin now with Logan. I hope so, and if she is good in scenes with Dohring and others, that Schram doesn't get the unfortunate "Adios" Alona Tal got.

February 10 2006 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Celeste

As I recall it, the only reason Keith did the book about Lilly is because he had to pay the medical bills he incurred while trying to save Veronica from being burned alive in last season's finale. So I'm guessing there isn't a lot of money left, and therefore Veronica needs the scholarship.
I thought it was an okay episode. Fun, but it didn't advance the mysteries too much. I loved the return of the Tritons.

February 09 2006 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evadne

! Okay, so that was the doctor--that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. It did not occur to me that Logan would be using Hannah to get to her father, but if it's true, boy, that makes the Hannah subplot a lot more interesting, doesn't it? I really enjoyed this episode--can't wait to see what happens next.

What happened to the proceeds from Keith's bestselling book about Lilly? I'm curious because of how focused Veronica is on getting the Kane scholarship.

February 09 2006 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emino

I think the quote of the episode should be -
"I just handled the money to her for three minutes and she lost it."
"Is that a record?"

February 09 2006 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kerry

Actually, the last time we saw Weevil he'd had his ass kicked, and was looking pretty bruised (at the end of the last episode, when he tells Dick to keep his trap shut). My guess is the black eye healed in, oh, about a week.

February 09 2006 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike K

I was a little put off by Dick's comment, he doesn't seem like the type to have seen Ghostworld, or even know what it is. Although the trick that Mac and the Beav played on him was great.

February 09 2006 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter

It was indeed a great episode.

Plus, I called that was going to be the quote of the episode. :D

February 08 2006 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Ah hah! That's right. Thanks for pointing that out guys.

February 08 2006 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply