August 1, 2014

A couple of Daily Show mysteries for you

by Joel Keller, posted Feb 9th 2006 11:20PM
Rob Corddry hosts The Daily Show tonightMaybe you folks can help me with the explanation for these two unexplained mysteries from this week's run of  The Daily Show:

1. Rob Corddry is anchoring tonight. He's doing a pretty good job, carrying his "aggressive Boston frat boy" character to the anchor desk. He joked that Jon Stewart was "in the shop." So, what's the real reason why Stewart isn't there? Just to get a day off to take care of his new daughter? Or some unforseen emergency? Hmm...

2. Right before last night's episode, Comedy Central promoed it by highlighting a Demitri Martin piece on MySpace. But when the episode aired (immediately after the promo, I might add), they showed a "Kolbert Klassic", where Stephen Colbert interviewed people on either side of the smoking issue. What happened here? Did something about Martin's MySpace piece make CC nervous? Was it just not as funny as it should have been? Why did it get pulled at the last minute? Hmm...

If you have any ideas, let me know in the comments.

DailyShowJunkie

The Demetri piece was aired 2/16/06. Here's a google video of it (it was hilarious):

February 21 2006 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Reggie

I think its better that they have someone fill in for Jon than just doing a rerun. The only reason I have cable is the Daily Show! I wish they did my local news ;-)

I found this funny article while surfin' around tonight, waiting for my "Daily" fix.

February 11 2006 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DaveF

I was at the show in NYC last night 2/9. Before the taping, the comedian warming up the audience (Paul Mooney - a real funny guy), announced that Jon would not be doing the show tonight due to him taking a day off to help out his wife with their new daughter. That was it.

February 10 2006 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrzer0

In regards to your MySpace piece, I would just like to point out that there have been NUMEROUS times where they say they are going to show one segment and then show either no segment, or something completely different. I find myself saying "WTF happened with that bit!? It looked hilarious." Then they'll show it the following night, or maybe even the following week.

It just happens in any kind of programming (especially news or fake news). Time issues arise, some final editing wasn't done in time, etc. It all has to do with the news department being seperate from the commercial/marketing department. Not that big of a deal, or mystery. So don't fret over it.

As far as Jon being absent, I'd easily dismiss that to "new-child related issues" but that's something more of mystery eh?

[mrzer0]

February 10 2006 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RaZeR 665

- Jon COULD have been out doing something for the Oscars, as they are, what, next month? If Jon is off doing something else, they usually have someone else fill-in other than cancelling if it's short notice [ie. Colbert sitting in when Jon hosted the Grammy's (or was it Emmy's?) a few years back].

- And Comedy Cental seem to ALWAYS air a promo for the show which says a piece will air that night when, actually, it airs about a week later. No clue as to why, but chances are the segment will air sometime next week, murder or not.

February 10 2006 at 6:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slippy

that might show you why they did not want to go after myspace.

February 10 2006 at 3:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben Garmisa

I thought I had hallucinated the Dmitri Martin commercial. My Media Center didn't get it, as it started recording a few seconds into the show itself. I'm confused by this week as well...

February 10 2006 at 2:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

not sure about John being out. I hope everything is ok on the home front.

As for the piece being missing, it's not the first time stuff like that has happend. I remember a piece got promoed for over a week and never aired.

February 10 2006 at 1:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply