Kelly Clarkson wins 2 Grammys and so do some other people
by Anna Johns, posted Feb 9th 2006 8:01AM
What a night for Kelly Clarkson! She cried when she beat out Gwen Stefani, Sheryl Crow, Mariah Carey, and Bonnie Raitt for best female pop performance for her very awesome Since U Been Gone rock hit. Less than an hour later, she nearly broke down as she sang Because of You. Later in the night, Kelly won her second grammy for best pop vocal album for Breakaway, an album that was very close to her heart. She wrote or co-wrote half the songs on the album and divorced her management company over control of the album. Neither of her acceptance speeches mentioned her win on American Idol. That's a tough call. She obviously wouldn't be where she is if it weren't for Idol, but at the same time, she legitimized herself as a true talent this year when she distanced herself from the competition.
- Album of the Year: U2, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb;
- Record of the Year: Green Day, Boulevard of Broken Dreams;
- New Artist: John Legend;
- Song of the Year: U2, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own;
- Country Album: Alison Krauss and Union Station, Lonely Runs Both Ways;
- Rap Album: Kanye West, Late Registration.