December 22, 2014

Love Monkey shelved after three episodes

by Joel Keller, posted Feb 9th 2006 1:40PM
Tom Cavanagh of Love MonkeyAccording to TVGuide.com, CBS has shelved Love Monkey after three episodes. It will be replaced by the new edition of The Amazing Race.

I've got to be honest with you; I'm a bit surprised about this. I'm not really sure what the ratings for the show have been, but they couldn't have been so bad that CBS decided to pull the plug so soon. Usually creative shows like this get a little more of a chance to develop and find an audience.

Yes, the show had some problems: the dialogue was sometimes mumbled to the point of incoherence, the narration was irritating, and it seemed like Tom Cavanagh's character could do no wrong, seemingly solving all his problems by the end of each episode (I mean, last week he proved that not only is he a great A&R guy, but a fine music video director and editor, too!). But the show had enough going for it that it deserved another chance. Maybe we'll see it after sweeps are over.

Jaidev

tom c's character is cool-good,but the rest of them are cliche's. a black guy called "shooter"?!!!.

anyway the show deserved a longer run than it would be getting. definetly better than the replacement.

November 03 2006 at 7:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cynthia Waller

I really liked this show. I've written three times now in hopes of showing support. The premise was great. I loved the mix of character. I'm beginning to think if there are no cops,doctors, or lawyers or women being raped, kidnapped or tortured,it gets the axe...pardon the pun. I'm so sick of cops and doctors and lawyer shows.
I think Love Monkey would have picked up a following quickly if given the same PR this What About Brian show is getting. Tom Cavanaugh has a good record for doing good shows. Put it on Friday or Saturday night and let it get some feet.
Bring it back.

April 19 2006 at 2:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

I hadn't gotten around to searching for what happened to Love Monkey...and am soooooo disappointed that it wasn't just the Olympics or something that delayed more episodes. It does deserve another chance at a time more appropriate for an entertaining, non-violent show. It was engaging, fun and the music was very good. There are those of us who DON"T want to watch reality shows. Save 10:00 for the adults only stuff. CBS or someone.... please get it back!

March 22 2006 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

let me tell you cbs from myself included almost everyone i know think you really screwed up by not giving the show a chance.Love monkey HAD a really good shot at becoming a cult type show,but you never gave it a chance,especially with Teddy Geiger having the potential of becoming a huge singer/songwriter,the show really deserves another shot.

March 17 2006 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Loved the show. I watched Tom Cavanaugh on "Ed" for years and was so happy to see him in this role.
CBS- Bring Tom Back!

March 07 2006 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chad

Pulled? THAT IS STOOPID! I honestly feel that it wasn't the show ... it was the time slot. Move the thing to a 9:00 market. I am sure once Teddy Geiger is the next Jack Johnson, or Howie Day the fans will be screaming to get this show back on. The music on the show was great, yet the networks didn't give it a chance. At least let the market get used to a new show before you yank it off! THis was foolish on their part. Who knows ... maybe the buzz will get out and it will get a second chance. AND YES... Sign the petition!

Everyone who posts should copy and paste this link so it is available on all postings .. is that silly? No more than pulling a great show like Monkey. Hmmm Corporate america.

"Who cares what the people want ... how can we better line OUR pockets" - so says the 6 men who run the country.

March 07 2006 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda Wohlstein

I absolutely loved this show! It should have been given a longer time to develop an audience. I can not tell you how much I looked forward to Tuesday night at 10pm. Guess it will be another network from now on.

March 05 2006 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

Jeesh, i thought i was the only Love Monkey fan. Guess not!!

I think that they had a crappy time slot and crappy shows to follow. I really don't know how this show gets the AXE, but shows with Kelly Ripa still exist. I mean the acting in Love Monkey was actually pretty good. They didn't let the characters develope.

Shame, shame CBS.

March 03 2006 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

I was stunned when I turned on CBS Tuesday night and found another Amazing Race. I thought I had the wrong night. Love Monkey was one of the most original new shows in years, with great music and an interesting theme using a real recording artist as an actor. If ratings were floundering why not try another time spot where it has a chance to gain a following? After three episodes even Seinfeld was a ratings flop!

March 02 2006 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monkey Lover from Denver

What the he%@ happened to LOVE MONKEY!? It is a great show with classy interesting characters. It wasn't raunchy or dim-witted such as your typical "Reality" junk TV. Listen to me Mr. CBS, the people who watch reality shows don't have money to buy from your advertisers like us "LOVE MONKEY" fans. We're the people who buy music, designer fashion, high priced coffee...you get the idea. PLEASE..I beg of you CBS, bring me my Love Monkey back....

March 01 2006 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply