August 29, 2014

Rob Corddry lands FOX pilot

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 9th 2006 11:12AM

Rob
CorddryIt looks like Rob Corddry may be following in the footsteps of other Daily Show alums Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert and getting his own gig. It was announced today that Corddry has been cast in the title role of FOX's new comedy pilot Becoming Glen.

From the mind of Seth McFarlane, Glen tells the story of a guy in his forties who recalls the good days (his thirties) while he was still living with his folks. I'm glad Corddry has hit it big with something and landed this, but part of me secretly hopes this fails so he stays with The Daily Show. I like him too much as a correspondent. He may not be the only change though. His brother Nate, who just recently joined TDS, was cast last week in Aaron Sorkin's Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

TDSFan

I just don't get it - Ed Helms is the funniest, the most capable of reading a complete script, and easily the most handsome. How is everyone ELSE getting a show? I can only hope he's being groomed to take over for Stewart eventually. Either that, or he's got a crappy agent.

February 09 2006 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marlowe

Well...good for him!
He will certainly be missed at the daily show.

Now with rob corddry, stephen colbert and steve carell gone (and also maybe lewis black?), the dream team of the daily show is losing all its members. I hope Samantha Bee comes back, she was part of my dream team too.

I'm still waiting for a new correspondent that would be as good as the old ones (I'm talking about the colbert/carell era). Dan Bakkedahl and Jason Jones are not that bad but steve carell, stephen colbert, ed helms play(played) strong characters, i'm not seeing any specific character in Dan and Jason, I think they don't bring anything original and are just reading their script. And the others new correspondent have been fired or haven't been on air enough.

Let's bring back Stacey Grenrock Woods, Mo Rocca, I don't know...

February 09 2006 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwangi

So will this make Ed Helms the lead correspondent? When Colbert left, Rob pretty much took over his spot.

February 09 2006 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kata

I'm with you, Ellen. I'll miss him with Stewart, but if Seth McFarlane is involved I'm pretty sure Glen will be a winner.

February 09 2006 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex Chinn

Unless Im mistaken, the series was penned by Family Guy writer Rickey Blitt, not Seth McFarlane. Blitt was also the writer of the Johnny Knoxville movie "The Ringer" and for a while '95 apparently wrote for "The Jeff Foxworthy Show". Im a big Family Guy fan, but aside from that, this guy's credentials are a little dubious...though I have heard that the pilot for "Glen" is hilarious. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

February 09 2006 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ellen

Kudos to Rob Corddry. It looks like The Daily Show has become the new SNL as a springboard for talented comedians. I'll miss Rob on TDS, but like Steven Colbert, this move actually gives us more of him to laugh at. And God knows, we need as many laughs as possible in this gloom & doom newsworld.

February 09 2006 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply